Africa Twin base Model or adventure sport

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Tvileren, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    On the 16/17 models I could see this as they're not throttle by wire. But from 18 up, Honda saw fit to give it TBW, four rides modes and seven traction control modes, so clearly they've thrown simplicity out the window. CC only requires a single switch and ECU programming.

The CC nazi at Honda also said no cruise for the Crosstourer, which had to have cost them a lot of sales as all the shaft drive competitors have it, not to mention the KTMs.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Of all the bikes I've owned, my AT gets the most attention and interest from other people.... Even more than my Harleys. Everyone is curious about it and wants my review. Many of these guys who are on other bikes consistently have said that no cc, tubes, and chain made it a deal breaker.

I'm not of this mindset at all. My 17 is a perfect blend of old school/new school, but I see the sales honda is losing. It would make sense to have a premium touring model for these guys. I wouldn't be interested, but for this kind of bike, it makes sense to have a few different configurations.
    Fat Toney likes this.
  4. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I also preferred the first gen to the 2nd. All the new modes seemed to make it needlessly complex, and the tilted up dash really reflected the sky. But cruise is welcome on any bike I'm pounding out long distances on.
    Fat Toney likes this.
  5. twinrider

Oddometer:
  6. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get a lot of people asking me about mine too.
    Amphib likes this.
  7. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got a new atas and I’m 5’10 or slightly less as I’m older. It’s a very tall bike but with the seat in low position it’s doable. I’ve been on adventure bikes for the past 15 years and it just goes with the territory. This bike is a 2019 atas manual and I have to say it’s the most comfortable bike I’ve been on to date. Suspension to me is better than my last bike which was an aprilia caponord travel pack. Way better on dirt roads. Power is adequate, motor is easy to manage. Handles twistys nicely. Fuel range is phenomenal. Other than reliability of which is negative due to the fuel filter and pump clog I really like the bike.
    Haven’t riden a regular Africa twin so can’t compare them. I just know the atas rides well.
  8. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone in the NC area wants to meet up and do a quick bike swap for a few miles of riding, let me know. You can ride my 2015 BMW R1200GS Adv. I need to ride the AT for a few miles to make my decision.

I'm serious, let me know. Happy to ride with anyone who enjoys mtn country roads and well groomed forest service roads.
  9. Amphib

Oddometer:
    What is your preferred AT to test? I'm in asheville... 2017 manual trans. Nobody's ridden it other than myself since mile one, but I get needing to test it out.
    neanderthal and Fat Toney like this.
  10. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Manual Transmission.

I'll PM you. I'm usually in the Linville area or around Mt. Mitchell.
    Fat Toney likes this.
  11. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Cool. I'm self employed so can be pretty flexible, but leaving in the morning for a week to explore me some west virginia. I should be back around town on the weekend. I'll be back on duty with the family, so would have to be after that sometime.
    smalls78 and Fat Toney like this.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    As is posted in this thread, add the aftermarket CC to the '18 bike and get all you want in the bike without having to pay more for a brand new version.
    neanderthal and smalls78 like this.
  13. Peke

Peke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy a car if ya want CC, tubeless tyres and shaftdrive. Bloody hell this is a bike forum.
    Bikes used to have no CC, tube tyres and a feckin chain.

Whats wrong with this world. :photog
    ROYMACNIC, Flatroads and Fat Toney like this.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  15. smalls78

Oddometer:
    LOL, ok dude...
  16. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always thought shaft drive was more for the heavy set grandpa type touring adv bikes like the GS and S10. The AT is mature but still has a bit of spring in it's step and a wild streak instilled by youthful dirt bike roots. Horses for courses.
    Peke and Fat Toney like this.
  18. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that I want a shaft driven AT. But this was the "AT" before there was an AT.

[​IMG]
    Amphib likes this.
  19. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bike gives me a boner.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous bike. That's from back in the day before middle age spread crept up on the shaft drive bikes. BMW had the shaft driven R80GS back then too which looks rather athletic compared to their current offering.
    Amphib likes this.