Africa Twin base Model or adventure sport

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Tvileren, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2349.jpg
    This bike is a close second. I was a teenager when the adv Honda’s showed up in 88?

Shortly after I got mine Feb ‘17 I got to talking to a guy on a Transalp that he bought new and still riding.

He didn’t seem overly impressed with my fancy latest and greatest AT. I hope I’m like that guy in 30 years
    smalls78, Amphib and madrider5150 like this.
  2. Peke

Peke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those TA's are pretty indestructable indeed.
    Fat Toney likes this.
  3. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always thought Honda resisted putting on CC to retain some of the original AT heritage.
    But the market spoke and in 2020 with CC standard on both models;
    IMO, there is no more AT DNA left.

Who puts CC, cornering lights and IMU for riding off-the-beaten-paths ?
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    This is funny coming from someone who bought a DCT. :rofl

Honda resisted putting CC on it as well as other touring models like the VFR1200X and ST1300 because their penny-pinching accountants call the shots now.

The AT is a touring bike, not an offroader, and CC, an IMU and cornering lights will make it better at that, just like some people feel the autobox makes it a better tourer. You should buy a KTM 500 EXC if you want the spartan experience. :deal
  5. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Smart individuals do
    playinatwork likes this.
  6. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    You can make any bike what you want it to be.
    You made yours a touring bike.
    Now Honda made it a touring bike with the 2020 iteration.
    It's just how I see the development of the AT since its debut in 2016.
    Nothing wrong with the changes, just pick your poison.
  7. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Maybe you misunderstood;
    How can any of those road oriented features help riding offroad?
  8. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'm all in with my '17. I'm completely happy with its level of tech. Pulling numbers out of the sky, let's say 5 years. At my current level of usage, as my primary ride, that'll put the bike around 100,000 miles. I'll be curious about how reliable I'll still deem the bike to be, but even more curious about what choices will be available then. As someone who appreciates low tech, simplicity, and reliability, I wonder what the market will be dictating in 2025.

I expect, or hope the manufacturers will have pounced on the t7... We shall see, but I have no interest in the direction of where the AT is going, along with the European brands.
    William Wolfen likes this.
  9. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well they won't help at all for off roading. But the AT is also a tourer and falls into that class now, so it only benefits the rider adding these road oriented features at that price point. Mainly for guys like myself who ride 100miles to the trails and then 100miles home. It makes it more of an all around Swiss army knife bike. I get what you're saying though, hard to see changes on things at times, especially when the bike used to be something else in the past. But the AT is moving forward I guess.
  10. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    I would have passed on those for better bike protection, suspension and easier maintenance.
    They chose to add features no one asked for (except CC) Typical Honda style. I don't believe they read forums; if they do they have a laugh over sake and discuss self balancing motorcycles :)