Africa Twin BUMOT skidplate install

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by angrypeppers, Jul 27, 2018.

1. angrypeppers

angrypeppers We've gone plaid!

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2017 AT Manual last week, and already had an idea of the mods I'd do first, then the followups. A centerstand, skid plate, and engine guards were first on the list. There's some vulnerable stuff up front on the engine, and I didn't really trust the factory plate. I shopped around, and really liked the design of the BUMOT plate. I think mostly because it was a clean design, and provided good protection in front of the engine. What finally sealed the deal was seeing the pics of Yooper_Bob's install pics of the same plate with the same Heed bars that I ordered: https://advrider.com/index.php?thre...-with-pictures.1148842/page-117#post-31911357. Clean, and a lot of protection without the need for lower engine guards. The plate was in stock at ADV Motorrad, so I put in the order. The only minor downside to the plate is that it has to be completely removed to get to anything covered up. But it's easy to remove and re-install, so it's not a deal breaker to me.

When I took it out of the box, my first though was that the plate was huge! It *is* a big plate, but the AT has a bit of a wide engine too.

[​IMG]

The factory skid plate spooning with the BUMOT plate.

[​IMG]

The installation is fairly simple: Remove the factory plate, install an "S" bracket on the AT, remove a bracket on the left side of the bike, then mount and bolt in the plate.

The front factory mount points are used with the BUMOT plate.
    [​IMG]

The "S" bracket is bolted on the right side of the engine. Loosen the nut on the front bolt, and remove the nut on the rear bolt. The factory post hanger isn't used. The "S" bracket will slide under the front bolt head, and is secured by the rear nut. The bracket must be level for the rear two skidplate mounting bolts to thread in. I left the bracket loose and fitted the plate, then removed the plate and carefully tightened the bracket to maintain level.
    [​IMG]

On the left side, remove the two bolts below. There's a plate on the inside of the skid plate that will attach to these points.
    [​IMG]

Lift the plate and mount the front bolts first hand tight. Attach the two rear bolts handtight. Then attach the plate on the left side with the two factory bolts. Once all six are hand tight, tighten them down securely, and enjoy a cold beverage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glamour shot...

[​IMG]

Hope's this helps some of you inmates to either decide to buy this plate, or to help install it!
  2. Sailor Jack

Sailor Jack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got one of the Bumot plates on my 16 DCT with HB uppers and barkbusters. Been drop-tested now several times in sand, gravel and of course, parking-lot asphalt, so far not a scratch on engine casings or farings- should serve you well
  3. angrypeppers

Oddometer:
    it's a burly plate!
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice writeup!

Could have used it when installing mine!
  5. angrypeppers

Oddometer:
    Thx, Bob! Can't wait to get the Heed bars installed...
    Yooper_Bob likes this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you have a good straight on right side pic, looking for good waterpump protection. thanks
  7. angrypeppers

Oddometer:
    Yokes -

The ADV Motorrad site has a smallish pic:

[​IMG]

I can post a larger pic tomorrow if this one doesn't work...
  8. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    gives me some idea but looks to be a dct which the right side doesn't look anything like a manual. thanks
  9. angrypeppers

Oddometer:
    I'll take one of my bike tomorrow and will post it...
  10. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few shots....still very happy with the Bumot skid plate. Excellent coverage and very strong! Provides just about full coverage when used in conjunction with the Heed upper bars.

Has withstood 2 years of abuse now, including two weeks bashing it along the Rockies in Colorado!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yokesman and Amphib like this.
  11. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks, I have the heed bunker bars which we installed today, may need to trim abit but looks like the coverage I want.
  12. angrypeppers

Oddometer:
    You beat me to it, Yooper! The BUMOT is a fantastic plate, and works well with the Heed bars. With the panniers, skid plate, and bars, not a scratch on the bike itself, even when I do something dumb...

[​IMG]
    JAES1, yokesman and Yooper_Bob like this.
  13. clax

clax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are you sure it isn't too big or wide? like does it get caught up in ruts and make life hard?
  14. clax

clax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    actually looks pretty cool with the heed bars
  15. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    When it's sitting on the garage floor, it does sort of remind me of a wheelbarrow!

After three years of pretty vigorous use, I have to say it is still holding up great. I have never found myself finding it too wide or low. That said, I do NOT do any singletrack, but have ridden thousands of miles of two tracks with it here in the UP, hundreds of miles of rocky trails in the Black Hills, and a thousand or so miles in Colorado, without issue.

It works very well with the Heed bars. I wanted the most amount of coverage with for the least expense. I have dumped the bike numerous times, and zero damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bushyar15, JAES1 and Amphib like this.
  16. angrypeppers

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The AT isn't really a petite bike, and so the plate is going to be sized accordingly. I thought of a snow shovel when I started the installation.
    Yooper_Bob likes this.