Africa Twin CFR1000L armor, crash protection

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by daninghram, May 16, 2016.

1. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard good things about the om being tough enough not to bend on a drop. Was just watching a video of the one guy saying he pulled altriders cause he was bending them constantly. How do the heeds do with this?
  2. Sailor Jack

Sailor Jack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive got the BUMOT plate on my 2016 DCT, paired up with the HEED basics- excellent combo for protection, bit of a PITA for maintenence
    briarjumper12 likes this.
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    I had dropped my bike several times.... and once off my lift!!! The Heed bars have not budged.

I have not gone down at speed.... thankfully!
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the heed bunkers and bash plate. Can not count how mainly times this bike has slid out.Lost the tail at 30 mph and bike slid on its side about 20 feet down a logging road.The workmanship is A1 and they are tough.The make filter service a pita but they do a great job and would buy again. I have cased a few rocks 2 up and skid plate has small dents but doing its job well. 20200502_154442.jpg
    briarjumper12 and b76 like this.
  5. winmosser

winmosser UGS

Oddometer:
    Can you share the $$cdn for the B&B guard? I’m in Ontario so landed cost would be similar thx. Sweet pic
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    finally found the time to install the right footpeg armor; took me longer to install than i initially thought since i need to find the tool to cut a notch on the adjoining headshield. you'll see it on the picture.

[​IMG]
    b76 and Junglejeff1 like this.
  7. Easterntide

Easterntide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bash plate in polished $586 AUD

Bash plate in black is $ 604 AUD

Shipping to Canada is $110 AUD

Quotes from B&B
  8. Easterntide

Easterntide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    100% correct on the nose being the biggest PIA! :-)
  9. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    I have tested stock bars a number of times on both tar and gravel and other than a respray look like new and the good thing is they are only 2.5kg with all mounting hardware and you only need to undo two bolts on the crash bars to pull side plastics off to get to air filters remoave tank etc.
  10. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    This is hard for me to believe (as a BSME that understands forces and strength of materials). The OEM stuff is a "light bar" for the attachment of additional illumination devices. Given the mount points and the inherent strength of these lightweight components they are no more and no less and will offer only the minimum of protection on impact.

I went with the AltRider bars, lower, upper and mid-connecting members as well. I made my purchase decision based upon both the gauge (thickness) and bends (geometry) of the bars themselves and have dropped the girl numerous times at a stop (bad footing, gravel, uneven surfaces, etc.). No deformation and the only thing tweaked are the rubber mounted bars that get all whopperjawed from picking it back up requiring realignment by yanking in the opposite direction at steering lock. I'd like to see more about the rider that "is bending them constantly" to see what his setup or issue is. I'm very skeptical ...

One thing to keep in mind is propagation of forces. If you have bars that are so strong that they will not deflect or deform on impact, the forces generated are then passed along to the mounting points. Do you want to bend bars that may be replaced for several hundreds of dollars or pass along the forces to bend the frame that will required several thousands of dollars to replace? Do a bit of research on energy absorbing automotive frame safety designs and then give it even more thought.

Good gettin' bent to ya!
  11. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    What is this plastic bit that you remove? On the 2016 you only need to take off the two outer panels to get to the airfilters, not sure if that changed for later years. So once the crash bars are out of the way(stock bars that undo two bolts and let it drop down), its the 3 push pins (per side panel) inside front duct by the radiators 1 at the very front vertically up into the side panel and the 3 screws that fix it. If you have lots of rubber grease on the locating pins and rubber grommets it is very quick to get panels on and off.
  12. b76

b76 Need more adventures

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the B&B dakar with the Camel Adv footpeg brace.
    I took a lot of material off of the camel brace and just the radius from the skid plate

20200507_163652.jpg
    RustySpokes and NSFW like this.
  13. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    The little plastic piece under the nose.....part #7 in the diagram below. I have not tried pulling the side panels without removing this piece first....

[​IMG]
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice job on trimming. i have a Black Dog skid plate have not installed it back on the bike. i wonder if i would have the same fitting issue.
  15. b76

b76 Need more adventures

Oddometer:
    I would assume the black dog skid plate will interfere with the peg brace.
    The Altrider did too. We ended up switching it out before adding the brace
  16. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    That piece is a proper bitch to get back on when you have the Denali aux light mount installed.
  17. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Leave that in place, if you remove push pin 23 you will see that goes through plastic #7 and locks the side panel on (when you have the panel off you will see its a long insert from the side panel that goes into #23). When you pull out the push pin and work the side panel off (having taken out the other pushpins and screws) starting at the upper rear of the panel and work your way forward with small movements. I cant over state how much easier it makes it to use rubber grease on all the grommets and alignment pins. You also have to make sure the side panel fits over the alignment catches on the side of the headlight and air duct plastics.
  18. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    I have already done the grease trick.

Next time I will just pull the pins out of #7 and try leaving it in place.
  19. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never removed that part. I've taken off the side panels and the headlight mask (#5), but never that one (#7).
  20. cantbeserious

cantbeserious n00b

Oddometer:
    hey guys, looking for some help/insight on barkbusters on a 2018 ATAS, hopefully this is the right forum. I'm wondering if this level of separation is normal for the clamps?
    IMG_20200519_175826.jpg IMG_20200519_175914.jpg
    I ended up having to use different hardware (still grade 12.9) as I destroyed the heads on the ones that came with the kit but everything else is normal. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!