Africa Twin CFR1000L armor, crash protection

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by daninghram, May 16, 2016.

1. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well just spend $800 Canadian on cruise control and a good day installing that. Honda should have installed CC on this bike. Big fail there. The stock crash bars appear to be nothing more than light bars, dressed up to look like crash bars. Big fail there. Than we could talk tube type rims, I could scream at the moon over tube type rims. Seems the choice is put gunk in the rims and hope to fuzk that holds, no thanks. Than there is no lower motor protection as near as I can tell. The 2020 addresses most of this but adds stuff I do not want like electronic suspension, 6 vector computer and $5000 more (Canada) so there we are...left over 2019
  2. Cavvy

Cavvy n00b

Oddometer:
    Dude are you selling the original?

Honda have a history of fakery. Remember the fake upsidedown forks on the Fireblade? Or the chain guards on various bikes that try to make a basic box section steel swingarm look more like a quality aluminium swingarm? I think sometimes Mr Honda's dreams don't quite make it to reality! If we really wanted bikes built to do a job from the factory we would've got 790 Adventures, if it wasn't fugly.
  3. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much work was it to install this skid plate on the AS? Looks good.
  4. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to go through all these old posts, but I like your setup. Are you using the Altrider upper with the Dakar skid plate? And who sells this skid plate?
  5. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I installed the skidplate and the upper bars at the same time, so I have the amount of work kinda mixed up between the two. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the headers to line back up correctly (you have to remove them to install the uppers), but besides that I'm pretty sure I remember the skidplate being the easiest part. Here's an in progress photo, you can kinda see the black carriers that mounts to the frame in the bottom left of the photo (they came attached to the skidplate for shipping purposes). The instructions were very clear from what I remember, most important part is to attach all the bolts loosely before tightening any of them down. Removed it a couple months ago for an oil change and it was very straightforward and easy to do.

[​IMG]

Thanks again! Correct, AltRider uppers and the Dakar skidplate, sold by B&B Offroad in Australia. I bought it straight from them, but I know someone has posted on here that a US distributor stocks them as well. I had a Blackdog Cycleworks skidplate on the bike before which I loved, but unfortunately it wasn't compatible with any of the uppers for the ATAS at the time. BDCW had worked with Hepco on the '16/'17 ATs to make their skidplate compatible with Hepco's uppers, but unfortunately Hepco didn't make any uppers for the '18/'19 ATAS.

Photos below of the bike with the BDCW skidplate and OEM uppers. I really liked the look of the bike like this, the BDCW skidplate was very tight to the bike and made it look much more rallyesque, unfortunately the B&B adds quite a bit of visual weight down low and makes the bike seem like it has much less ground clearance than it actually does. Unfortunately I just couldn't find a combination to make the BDCW skidplate work with a set of lower and uppers bars to get the engine case protection I was looking for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MADS likes this.
  6. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forget ugly. I wouldn't consider it reliable. A guy on my local forum bought one a month or so ago. He's had it in his possession for 5 days. Repeat electrical/computer failures. Maybe he got a lemon. I'll take Honda reliability.
  7. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    KTM = Know Three Mechanics :lol3

Good ridin' more than wrenchin' to ya!
    William Wolfen likes this.
  8. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really makes one ask - why did you buy the bike?
    CRracer712 and playinatwork like this.
  9. foxyfoxadv

foxyfoxadv n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, my africa twin came with HEED crash bars. I did a bit of research and found sw motech skid plate/bash plate would work with some slight modifications.

I REALLY love it! I didn't want to fill the landfill with heed crash bars or sell, because I love the upper crash bar features, but the factory skid plate was junk and I did damage my exhaust on an ADV where I hit a bolder...while boldering.

my blog article:
    http://libertyfoxdefense.com/how-to-fit-sw-motech-skid-plate-to-heed-crash-bars/

<paste from Blog>

My 2017 Africa Twin came with Heed Crash bars. I really like them and I’ve dropped my bike without damaging my bike. I like how they cover the upper part of the bike too.

My first adventure on my Africa Twin I learned quickly that I need a better skid plate/bash plate.

At first I thought I’d just do gravel roads, but getting lost and “off trail” I really dented my exhaust, which is not even covered by the factory skid plate! I think the factory skid plate is made out of aluminum….foil.

[​IMG]
    After taking Fran’s “Dual Sport training class“, I KNEW I wanted to do more with my crf1000l than hit fire roads. Fran gave me the confidence to conquer rivers, steep climbs and loose mountain trails/roads.

Dual Sport School & Guided Adventure Rides
    One benefit to training with Fran, is clients can order SW Motech and a few other vendors with a large discount!

I found this article that gave me the confidence to “fit the sw motech skid plate to my Heed Crash bars”: https://www.africatwinforum.com/threads/heed-crash-bars-and-sw-motech-skid-plate.30665/

It took me 6 cuts to get it fit’d. If I’d had these photos, I think I could have done it in 2 cuts. I suggest a jig-saw and sanding wheel. I have access to saws all, angle grinder with cut-off wheel, but the jig saw with fine toothed blade was perfect!

NOTE: You do NOT need to take off the SW motech center stand in order to put your skid plate on!

[​IMG]
    simple jig-saw and vice…with a sharpie and you can do this too!

[​IMG]
    trial and error, I suggest cutting less and then cut a bit more and a bit more.
    PROTIPS:

• Do NOT have the cut part rub on the HEEDs crash bar!
    • Also, once proven fit’d correctly, I suggest you knock the sharp edge off with a sanding wheel or dremel with a sanding wheel.
    • locktite thread locker all bolts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THIS is the magic photo, look at where I cut too much. See if you can do better. I think a 1/4 inch space so it doesn’t rub on the crash bar and cause rust is worth it!

[​IMG]
    I LOVE this bike! now its protected from when I get in over my head on an adventure!
    If it has overheating issues, after blue engine ice, I will use a step-bit to make a few small holes.

Hey, I’m on the “cover” of Everide’s Youtube video! We Crash, we heal!

[​IMG]
    That is me in the blue pants and red pack! Tyler says I look like a pro, that just means he is really good with a camera! Its also way fun to see video of my son and I on one of Everide’s rallys! My son is on a yellow bike with a black/yellow helmet!
    We Crash. We heal! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYVNYVktcb4
    misterk likes this.
  10. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    I would find a shop to put a weld across where you have gone to far with the cut thats a high stress point and it will start a fracture if you leave a small sharp angle like that.
  11. wingnutx

wingnutx n00b

Oddometer:
    Or drill a relief hole. Best to do that before cutting, but he can still do it.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will not have cooling issues. This bike has a very effective cooling system.