Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I know I'm not the only person who's been bothered by serious helmet buffeting on the Africa Twin. At highway speeds, the air hitting my helmet is turbulent and causes rapid shaking of my head, which is intensely annoying (this is with the stock screen, fwiw).

Obviously the right taller screen would solve the problem by putting me in a bubble of still air... except that it's a motorcycle and I don't want to be in a bubble of still air. I like having airflow, I just want it to be smooth.

Naturally most of the aftermarket windshields are taller than stock; the one shorter one I was able to find (the MRA Sport screen) apparently won't make it to the US market for some time yet.

Has anyone tried cutting down their stock screen? If so, how well did it work? Got a pic you can post?

Alternatively, anyone got suggestions for other shorter-than-stock windscreens?

--mark
  2. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    California Scientific offers a tinted shorty (-2.5" from the top mounting hole).
    http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/ATwinprod.html

I went with the taller Honda Touring screen to get the air off my face shield etc. It is fine below 60 mph. Above 60 there is some turbulence . . . but not the buffeting type. I may try an adjustable fly screen . . . which works great on my V2.

[​IMG]

Stock AT next to V2/fly screen . . . side-by-side comparison:

[​IMG]
    1litre likes this.
  3. drzdirtrider

drzdirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    My pseudo-scientific experimental findings: :deal

Removing the stock handguards all but eliminates helmet buffeting at highway speeds. I suspect they form some sort of disturbance that collapses the windscreen vortex, causing the buffet. Even with the handguards installed, raising and moving the handlebar forward (I'm running 2" Rox risers) helps with the disturbance.

Puig is coming out with a full line of screens for the AT. The "Racing" screen looks shorter than stock with a bubble that should smooth out airflow.
    [​IMG]
    Revzilla is listed as a vendor, but they don't have a firm date yet.

Similarly, National Cycle has said they are producing 3 different heights of V-stream screens for the AT. Also no firm release date.
    [​IMG]
    Kratuncho likes this.
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously we've discussed the buffeting problem in person, David, and one thing that occurred to me is that the shape of the handguards will also make a difference. Unfortunately that's an unknown quantity until fitting of alternate handguards and test-riding. It could get expensive finding the right handguards!

National Cycle is unfortunately only planning to release taller shields.

I had seen the CalSci one, but want a clear shield, not tinted.

The Puig shorty is also a good option, apart from not being available yet.

This early adopter thing is kind of a pain! :)

--mark
  6. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently installed the PUIG touring screen, and i am planned to trim the top 5cm to re-install my old Wunderlich adjustable top, to be able to trim the windflow.
    as is now:
    http://i67.tinypic.com/2w6a2hw.jpg
    as soon as i trimed te screen down, ill post some pic's.
  7. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make a pattern and cut a couple inches off with a jig saw. I have done it before with a 950 Adventure screen. File the edges smooth.

[​IMG]

Chopped 950A screen:
    [​IMG]
  8. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    The MRA Vario works amazingly well. No buffeting whatsoever at highway speeds. I have the 6-position spoiler set half way up. Yes, the MRA is a couple inches taller than the OEM screen, even with the spoiler in the lowest position. But I can easily see over it with the spoiler deployed and there's plenty of airflow. Best upgrade so far!
  9. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could we get a picture of this please. Also a part number. This might be cheaper than a OEM taller screen and work better off road.
  10. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    Here ya go.....:D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    MariusD likes this.
  11. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I thought you were talking about the adjustable part. I didn't know you mean't a totally different windscreen plus an adjustable part. It looks wider than a stock screen.
  12. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    Just to add some feedback on the various screens around......

I'm 6'4", currently wearing the Shoei Hornet Adventure (Hornet X2 in the USA) and find that with the stock screen, I get a lot of noise and buffeting, so I've had a tryout on a few screens.

The stock Honda screen is 450mm tall.

Firstly, I tried a larger screen - the Ermax Touring Screen at 500mm tall. This was quieter, but it really caused a lot of buffeting and gave me blurred vision :nah
    [​IMG]

So next up, a much shorter screen (my thinking here was to get my lid in the wind and let it do its job) - the MRA Sports Screen at 380mm tall. This was the complete opposite - no buffeting at all, but lots of wind noise....... :dunno
    [​IMG]

So then I went back to square one, and put the stock Honda screen back on, but put a couple of 6mm spacers behind the upper mounting screws. This gave suprisingly good results, considering it only pushed the angle out a few degrees, but I still wasn't happy...... :scratch

Then we had some adjustable screen spoilers arrive in the shop. Now, I've never tried these, and to be honest, have always thought they were a bit gimmicky - but what the heck, I might as well give one a go.

WOW!! - what a revelation - this has completely removed all of the buffeting, and pretty much all of the wind noise - so much so I can ride with the visor up, and easily hear my inner voices at any speed (:evil:evil:evil)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So that's where I am currently, and don't plan on experimenting any further. I haven't tried the MRA Vario Touring, which I suspect will give similar results though.

Hope this helps with anyone looking at different screen options - although I know it is different for every rider :nod
    Peke, MtnRubi and rally roo like this.
  13. tarsky68

tarsky68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great post, thanks for sharing your experience and findings
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like this might be the one for me (and it's the one I first had my eyes on, so thanks for the confirmation). I don't care about wind noise -- I always wear earplugs anyway -- but want smooth airflow. Unfortunately it's still not available in the US. Backordered till at least August 15, it seems.

In the meantime I'll probably try cutting down my stock windscreen. Doesn't seem like I can make it much worse than it already is.

--mark
  15. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to wait, we have them in stock - and the dollar exchange rate is good for you right now :D:D:D

Another alternative for a short screen is the Powerbronze Sports Screen at only 345mm tall - complete with a printed 'Africa Twin' logo
    markbvt likes this.
  16. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    trimmed 3 cm from the top of the screen and made it more squared
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    for the long haul, i can fit the topscreen
    jgunsett likes this.
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got fed up with waiting for an aftermarket short windscreen to become available in the US, so today I cut down the stock screen.

[​IMG]

Here's how much I took off.

[​IMG]

I took it out for a test ride this evening, and holy crap, it completely transformed the bike (for what it's worth, I also changed the handguards, which may have also contributed). Airflow is not much lower than before, but it's MUCH smoother now. I can crack open my faceshield without it rumbling and vibrating, and there's no more head vibration. The whole riding experience is now calmer, and it's quite clear to me that it'll be significantly less fatiguing over a long ride. I should have done this weeks ago.

In fact, it's good enough that I don't think I'm going to bother spending the money now on an aftermarket screen. Anyone suffering from the shaky head syndrome should consider giving this a try.

--mark
    NSFW and mcmann like this.
  18. tarsky68

tarsky68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, congrats! Glad it came out so well for you.
  19. jantomas

jantomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First impressions are great. But we need updates. And information on rider heights and helmets. Please!
  20. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    6'3" rider, high seat position, wearing an Arai XD3; was getting a lot of rumble from the visor with the stock windscreen. Many people have had this issue on various bikes with this helmet; the visor is meant to flex and break in a crash, which also means it vibrates badly in turbulent airflow. I attempted to stiffen the visor by molding some Kydex thermoplastic to the bottom and foam-taping it in place. Better, but not gone. Running the visor in the highest position helps as well, but means more lift on my helmet which could lead to neck strain.

No issues wearing my Icon Airmada, which is a very aerodynamic helmet. Only buffeting I encounter is in highway traffic when another vehicle is disrupting my clean airflow.

The Arai is aging out anyway; maybe it's time for a new helmet!