Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Update....I have been running the Puig tall touring windshield for 3 years now.

For the most part, I have been happy with it. Certainly better than the stock screen.

Anyway...I got a new motocross helmet and decided to use it yesterday on a ride. Within 5 minutes I was getting a terrible buzzing sound caused by the wind coming off my tall windshield.

Now I have used the same helmet on my 640 Adventure and zero noise issues.

It was so bad, I had to turn around and go home to get my full face modular helmet for the day.

Personally, I prefer a motocross style helmet. I love the airflow and wearing goggles.

Anyway...all day long as I was riding, it kept bugging me that there had to be a solution.

I know others have cut down their stock screen and I figured what do I have to lose. I'm not using it anyway.

Got the Dremel out this morning and hacked 3.5" off the top.
    IMG_20200525_101200055.jpg

IMG_20200525_101928733.jpg
    Put it on and went for a test ride. It's utterly FANTASTIC!!!

Smooth, clean air, yet the force is reduced by probably 60% at higher speeds. Lots of airflow at slow speeds.

If I had known cutting it down would work this well, I never would have purchased the tall screen.

BTW...for reference I am 6'6" tall.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I also cut my OEM screen down, though I cut a bit more and am shorter, at 5'9". Pretty happy with the results as well. I also got good results using an aftermarket taller screen but that doesn't work out well in hot temperatures so I switch screens depending on the weather and how much highway riding I am doing.