Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Update....I have been running the Puig tall touring windshield for 3 years now.

For the most part, I have been happy with it. Certainly better than the stock screen.

Anyway...I got a new motocross helmet and decided to use it yesterday on a ride. Within 5 minutes I was getting a terrible buzzing sound caused by the wind coming off my tall windshield.

Now I have used the same helmet on my 640 Adventure and zero noise issues.

It was so bad, I had to turn around and go home to get my full face modular helmet for the day.

Personally, I prefer a motocross style helmet. I love the airflow and wearing goggles.

Anyway...all day long as I was riding, it kept bugging me that there had to be a solution.

I know others have cut down their stock screen and I figured what do I have to lose. I'm not using it anyway.

Got the Dremel out this morning and hacked 3.5" off the top.
    IMG_20200525_101200055.jpg

IMG_20200525_101928733.jpg
    Put it on and went for a test ride. It's utterly FANTASTIC!!!

Smooth, clean air, yet the force is reduced by probably 60% at higher speeds. Lots of airflow at slow speeds.

If I had known cutting it down would work this well, I never would have purchased the tall screen.

BTW...for reference I am 6'6" tall.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I also cut my OEM screen down, though I cut a bit more and am shorter, at 5'9". Pretty happy with the results as well. I also got good results using an aftermarket taller screen but that doesn't work out well in hot temperatures so I switch screens depending on the weather and how much highway riding I am doing.
  3. jantomas

jantomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's no perfect solution here but I think I should follow up my earlier posts by saying that the Puig Touring screen with spoiler is a new favourite. The MRA was about equally good regarding noise and buffeting but interfered with my mirrors and threw an enormous amount of bugs at the visor of my helmet. The Puig is a huge improvement in this regard. I note that I'm 192 which makes the screen a bit too low for fast touring but still too tall for off road. In contrast to the MRA it mounts on only four as opposed to six screws and can therefore be removed more easily for the hottest days. It's a bit narrower at the top which gives a bit more ventilation on the shoulders I believe. It also seems stiffer and looks better I think. Screenshot_20200723-000635_Gallery.jpg
  4. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been killing bugs like crazy as well.
    upload_2020-7-24_11-34-9.png

As to the screen, I wonder what honda estimated the average height would be, Me at 5'7" (now that I am old and shrinking) I have no real issue with buffeting of any kind, however I do find myself in a bit of a bubble. Not too bad when it is pretty chilly out, but at 99F and 98% humidity makes for a very sweaty ride home.
  5. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I was riding the other day and it was really hot out. I'm sweating like a pig inside my Aria XD-4 helmet and realized no air is coming through the vents. I stand up and Ahhhhh, cool fresh air. Got home and pulled out an old scratched up OEM windscreen and my Dremel. Cut the sucker as low as I could. Now I get good airflow and it cut out some small buffeting I was getting. Painted it black because of all the scratches. Looks pretty good too.
    AT Windscreen.jpg
    Raylan, gammel, RustySpokes and 2 others like this.
  6. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.... where's my black spray paint?
  7. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you buy these Batzen screen adjusters?