1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    This type of setup is popular with the KTM 1190, a few have found that going with a shorter screen and attaching an MRA x-creen or such to it eliminates most buffeting and gives you quiet air as well.
  2. jantomas

jantomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried with a wunderlich spoiler. May have helped a bit but hardly worth it. Also mounted a spoiler made from a givi aeroflow on top of stock screen. Same result. May try it again though. I keep repeating myself here but people needs to return to this thread for updates.
    PaveMint likes this.
  3. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed the MRA Vario screen myself from Rugged Roads. It took my buffeting away and the wind noise was reduced dramatically. I wear an XD4 helmet and was able to put the peak back on.
    Happy camper....I am 6 foot and ride with the seat in the lower position. I can ride with my shield up now at highway speeds. I still look way over the screen...
    dwj - Donnie and rally roo like this.
  4. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    Brief experimental update for those interested: I built some adjusters for the windscreen so I could set it from ~1" higher than stock to about 3.5". Wearing the Arai XD3, none of those positions made any difference; turbulent air was still directed at the visor, making it vibrate badly. Similar story with the Icon Variant, although the helmet is quieter overall. Wearing the Icon Airmada, the highest position was perfect; great ventilation and quiet. Weirdly, with any of the vibrating visors, it is worse (or more noticeable) with earplugs in, and partially goes away if I slacken my jaw. Some weird bone-conduction thing going on.

This morning, I flipped the adjusters around, and am running the windscreen ~3.5" lower than stock. I wore the Arai as a trial run, as it is the worst offender. Sitting in normal position, the visor vibration is totally gone. I can induce it by ducking down into the cockpit a few inches. Instead, it has been replaced by a loud roaring from the bottom of the helmet, which I can eliminate by shrugging my shoulders. Have yet to try the other helmets, will post up as I have more data!
  5. jantomas

Oddometer:
    I've lost a clip that holds the beak on my hornet so I now go beakless. I'm tall and it's the roar, as you call it, that's bothering me. I get it almost regardless of how low a screen I run. But the lower the screen the better. It may however also have to do with the increased wind noise as one will naturally focus on the most dominating noise. I talked to a biker today. He didn't hear much noise. And he didn't wear earplugs. He listened to music instead. Later he told me about his tinnitus. :)

A possible advantage with lower screens is that they reflect less noise from engine and exhaust.
  6. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    So far, I've tried the stock screen, stock with Puig clip-on visor, OEM touring screen, OEM touring screen with Puig clip-on visor, and the MRA vario touring screen (with the adjustable visor/spoiler). I'm 6'1" and have my seat in the high position. The OEM touring screen reduced buffeting and wind noise, but there's still some buffeting over 60mph. The OEM touring screen with the Puig visor eliminates all buffeting and windnoise, but it's slightly in my sight line. The MRA vario touring screen with the adjustable spoiler eliminates buffeting completely, but there's still some windnoise. If I was an inch or two shorter or moved my seat to the lower position, it would be perfect. For now, I'm going to stick with the OEM touring screen with the Puig visor, so my MRA Vario screen is for sale. I paid $160 for it. I'll sell it for $140 shipped in the CONUS. It has a small (1/4"-3/8") scratch by one of the top mounting holes where my allen wrench slipped a little while I was putting it on (&$%@#!). It has less than 10 miles on it and will be shipped in the original packaging. If you're interested, PM me. Paypal would probably be the best means of payment.
  7. jyellard

jyellard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold my 990 adventure due to the buffeting and noise. Even with ear plugs in and a full face helmet my ears would be ringing after my 40 min commute to work on mostly interstate. I have been eyeing the Africa twin and was hoping this wouldn't be an issue for it. I can't believe Honda would release a bike with this problem. Thanks for the info and I will cautiously wait for a guaranteed fix before pulling the trigger.
  8. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" and I am surprised how well the stock screen works for how small it is.
  9. tarsky68

tarsky68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't take the complaints about the windshield so literally. It's an opinion, nothing more. In my opinion, the AT has the best stock windshield of any bike I've had! Better than a 800GS, better than a Ducati Multistrada 1200, better than a Stelvio NTX, etc, etc, etc. But again, that's my opinion. "I can't believe Honda would release a bike with this problem", is simply not the case...it's not a design flaw, it's a variable because people come in all shapes and sizes.

Go ride one and decide :)
    jantomas likes this.
  10. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    Yes. The stock screen is very good. Certainly not a design flaw. I'm just very picky and looking for as silent of a ride as possible.
  11. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me 6'1" the stock screen is terrible.
    If I buy one, that is the first thing I would change, then the ridiculously small foot pegs. What were they thinking???
  12. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    No, it's not an opinion, it's a fact backed up by evidence -- but it depends on many variables such as rider height/posture, handguard setup, etc. For some people the stock shield works well because their personal geometry and bike setup happens to match Honda's testing parameters fairly well. Others like me fall well outside those parameters, and so we get hit with serious turbulence. In my case it made my head vibrate so badly at highway speeds that my vision was blurred. This is not opinion, it's fact.

But the point of this thread is that the stock windshield can be changed. Some people like a taller one; in my case cutting down the stock one works great and transformed the bike for me.

That said, no, the stock windshield is not a design flaw -- it clearly works well for some people. Just not for all of us.

Now, the minuscule stock footpegs -- THOSE are a design flaw. :) Mine were gone within days.

--mark
  13. tarsky68

tarsky68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    semantics, bro. Relax
  14. jantomas

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think we mostly agree that outcomes depend on a host of factors so not everyone can be happy with the stock screen. Even some people on touring bikes with huge electric screens and added spoilers struggle.

Even though my short screen works pretty good, especially now with the beak back on the hornet so I can sometimes open the face shield without too much whistling, I've ordered the mra vt to try for colder days. I'll give you both first, second and third impressions. I'm positive that crosswinds (cross on is worst I believe) makes a huge difference, and I have some hope that the slightly wider and more back bent profile of the mra vt will give a bit cleaner air without having to lean forwards a lot.

Even though my current set up feels pretty comfortable on a good day, my tinnitus appears generally loud and perhaps even louder after long rides. And the right ear is worst. (Measuring tinnitus is not an exact science, and I'm not getting younger by the way.:)) I've asked this before, but does anyone think that the cool popping of the exhaust can damage our hearing? It's a puzzle to me why an engine that runs do smoothly needs to do such a lot of afterburning. But if it isn't a problem then it isn't.
  15. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

You can't state "it's a fact" so boldly, then turn around and say but it depends on certain variables like rider height/ posture, etc. I just rode from Phoenix to Los Angeles today and my only complaint was/ and still is, that the seat is merciless on long rides. Others say the seat is fine for long rides. i accept that my experience is not universal.
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Variables don't stop it from being a fact. My reason for arguing the point was that it's not just a matter of some people complaining about something for subjective reasons (such as, say, "I don't like the color") -- given the particular set of circumstances, the objectively-measurable fact is that the turbulence was making my head shake badly.

Variables apply to nearly everything. That doesn't stop things from being factual. It just means you have to put things in perspective and consider that nothing is black and white.

As long as we're going to argue semantics..... :D

--mark
  17. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys need to each go sit in the corner for a while. If keep you fighting this thread will become useless as a data collection repository for other wind screen options...
  18. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Are they still at it? LOL
  19. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Actually, the variables are exactly what prevent it from being a fact.

So anybody having no buffeting negates your "fact."

What's true for you is not necessarily true for everybody. Accept it. Move on.
  20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because the variables are different. That's my point. But everyone's right, this is a useless discussion over semantics. Sorry folks, rough week at work. But now it's Friday. :drink

--mark