1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. moragabiker

moragabiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To help us get this thread back on track, I'll add my learnings -- I am 6'1" tall, ride with the seat in high position, and use the standard-height Honda windscreen. I experimented by riding from 10 to 80 mph wearing three different helmets. In all cases using the standard windscreen, I experienced turbulent airflow around my head and lots of wind noise from the "buffeting."

After installing a Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor (size small), I experienced very little buffeting. The visor height can be adjusted. I like the lowest setting so it does not obstruct my view of the road.
    x32792, jantomas and markbvt like this.
  2. MegaRowMan

MegaRowMan MRM

Oddometer:
    I'am 6ft6 and made this low screen panel , works well I can ride at any speed with my visor open about 1 or 2 clicks, 20mm ish with no buffeting making it moving it around!

CRF 72.jpg CRF 73.jpg
    Immanuel, Bhart89 and JNRobert like this.
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I rode a bike 780 miles out to Springfield, MO and rode back on my new Africa Twin this last weekend.
    I"m 6'-1", 34" inseam - with the seat in the high position I was pretty impressed by how well they did with a non-adjustable windscreen.

zero buffeting, clean air - I could open my faceshield at 85mph and there wasn't any wind in the face. At all.
    First day was just a couple hundred miles after leaving the dealership - the 2nd day was 640 miles, pretty much stopping for gas and a cold drink.

Impressive. :nod
    1litre, rally roo and neanderthal like this.
  4. jantomas

jantomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to mount the mra vt. The upper edge of the screen is, contrary to the spoiler, not polished. But it comes with a so called protection sleve. (I'm not sure what or how it's supposed to protect. It would surely rip off if you went over the bars. But maybe it could be useful for protecting against bumping yourself against the screen while mounting the bike or something.) Have people installed this sleve? Does it do anything good or bad for airflow? Would a bit of polishing work just as well?

The mra vt comes with some so called instructions on how the spoiler's supposed to work. But I can't make much out of them. I'm confident that I'm going to experiment a lot, but perhaps some thoughts from fellow inmates can help me reach an optimum faster. I'm 193.

Late edit: The mra is now mounted but not tested. My bars are tilted slightly forward and the mirrors hit the screen before reaching the steering lock. I've tried to find a compromise that allows for almost full turning while letting me see more than just my shoulders.

Several have noted that the rubber nuts in the lower holes can be pushed and lost inside the faring. Mine never did but were pretty screwed up so I had to replace them. Fortunately I had ordered a new set with the screen. The problem was that making them sit in place was impossible. My solution was to put the screws through the screen, add the nuts and finger tighten just a little bit before pushing the whole thing onto the fairing. You just need to start a cm below where they are supposed to sit, push in, then push up into place and tighten some more. But not very tight! I believe the nuts (or just the metal threads they hold) are supposed to come through if the screen is hit by the rider. If you tighten more than just a bit the nuts will more or less disintegrate.
  5. jantomas

Oddometer:
    Pasting here 20160826_195421.jpg my first impressions from post in owners forum. (The issue with the mirrors hitting the screen was solved by tilting the bars back to standard position.)

It was plenty windy with occasional light showers, and I'm pretty confident that the mra vt will work much better than the stock screen for my 193 cm. The very hard low frequency roar or throbbing is gone. There's still a bit of roaring in crosswinds but it's quite acceptable. The wind noise is significantly louder than when standing, and only goes away if I sink down to the point where I can only just look over the screen. I guess this could be a very quiet screen for shorter people. But then you'd also have the possible issues of ventilation in hot weather and perhaps not having the view you'd like for more technical but seated riding. What do I know? :) And these are only first impressions or thoughts anyway.

Update with second and third impressions:
    This thing works! I've spent lots of time on the bike this weekend in conditions varying from strong sidewinds to almost still air and with temperatures from above twenty degrees Celsius to below ten. I've also had plenty of showers. And since I've still not installed my pin lock, I've had to ride with open vents and often with a small opening on the visor. I expect the noise level to come down further with the pin lock installed.

The conclusion is that for me with my hornet adv with the sun shade installed, this screen works great in easy conditions and well enough in bad conditions. After yesterday's very long ride over the mountains to the west coast and back, my bum and shoulders hurted a lot more than my head or ears. So air flow management will no longer be a limiting factor for me. I should add that I haven't been riding much over 100 km/h for longer periods. And that I don't like to spend much more than six hours in the saddle per day. Next thread will be about blood flow management for rear end. :)
    Immanuel and JohnShroe like this.
  6. itsnotajeep

itsnotajeep Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    Alright.....I'll add my $.02. 6'0" tall with a 32" inseam and ride in the high position (which still feels low for my hips). I ride in a XD-4 and the Twin with a stock windscreen the wind wasn't pleasant at highway speeds. It wasn't terrible....but it felt a lot like just being on a dirt-bike. After a post or two on this thread I stumbled across the link below. All I can say is it ROCKS. Super easy install. Awesome 'Hecho en China" packaging, and the quality is surprisingly good. First ride, I realized that it was an amazing $40 upgrade when I had been on the bike 10miles and hadn't shut my visor! No question, it's a phenomenal upgrade and worth every penny (or more). Just wanted to report incase anyone was in the same position (literally) as me!

Airflow Adjustable Windscreen For Honda

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015H5FQQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    lucertola likes this.
  7. EPSILON 2

EPSILON 2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my experience on a similar bike.

Yamaha Super Tenere. I'm 6ft 4 in.

None of the signature after market screens did the job. All had annoying buffeting.

In the end I made my own. I got some Ram mount mounts and a big scooter screen that I cut down to make a really effective laminar flow screen.

This did create a bubble of slow air, so I just added a couple of tubes to catch and flow air into the lower area of the bubble.

For highway speed rides I used this larger screen, and for slower canyon rides I just would take the whole lot off and use a tiny little front shield.

I'm not too sure how well a micro shield would work on the Africa Twin because it has such a high front fairing.

[​IMG]

The screen is the Orange and transparent section (i painted the lower part of the screen blaze Orange for visibility.

The air flow behind this screen is smooth, but not quite enough for really hot weather.

Here it is from the side:
    [​IMG]

Here is the micro screen.

[​IMG]

It is really nice for dirt and really twisty roads.

The very best air flow I got was with no screen or shield on the front of the bike at all.
  9. EPSILON 2

EPSILON 2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    OK, you've posted two views of the same screen -- What's the story?
    jantomas likes this.
  11. jantomas

Oddometer:
    It must be some kind of double story it seems.:)
  12. EPSILON 2

EPSILON 2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a black bubble test with a sticker inspired by the photo models below.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    Bingo. Thanks for sharing.
  14. cuss

cuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Roughly the same size with the same helmet (tried other helmets + seat in low position) and having the same issue, tried the Honda tall touring screen but anything above 60mph was awful, also had the new touratech tall screen but same issue, thought after all that messing about i might as well try the extender.

I went for this one.

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/4731

Looks just the same as the one in the link to amazon, well it came today, fitted it and wow it does just what i wanted it to do.

No more head shake or vibration and up to 75mph with the visor up and very little wind in my face.

So that's me sorted at last.
    itsnotajeep likes this.
  15. cuss

cuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A not very good picture taken while out today of the screen extender in the high position from the front.

20160902_154521 - Copy.jpg

And from the back.

20160902_155318.jpg
    Immanuel likes this.
  16. jantomas

Oddometer:
    20160902_165544.jpg If it works well, that's great. For people who still haven't began fiddling I'll recommend the mra vario touring screen. It's taller than the stock screen and the spoiler is designed to work with the screen. The screen is also wider. I suspect that width is a factor in crosswinds. If I lean sideways I get some hard throbbing that I recognise from the stock screen. I've tilted it a bit forward today and got less wind noise. Will report back when I get more experience with this and have found a better mounting solution. I need better spacers and long quality screws. Not sure if the upper or the middle mounts represents the biggest problem. (Screen will be pushed towards the upper mounts but pulled away from the middle.) For the upper I have spaced out from six (came with the screen) to about sixteen mm. For the middle mounts (not used for the stock screen) I spaced out from zero to about six. If I didn't use spacers in the middle I probably would have needed less at the top. But my intuition told me that it would put too much more stress/tension on the screen.

UPDATE
    Screen's been spaced out with ten and six mm top and middle for some time with better spacers. Used silicone oil to get rid of noise from the mounts. A few observations:

There's still some wind noise. I've tried pushing the screen even a bit further forwards but it made little difference. It seems that the angle of my head is more important than the tilt of the screen. But nodding the head is not workable. Neither is leaning forwards or crouching down for more than a few minutes at the time.

There's also still some throbbing sound and a bit of buffeting at the helmet. And even in pretty still air. But it's not bad.

Neither of these problems are major issues for me. I'll still recommend this screen even for taller people, unless you're particularly sensitive or want to ride very far and fast. Whether better solutions exist I don't know. Perhaps at some point I'll try the Batzen mount so I can experiment more with different heights and angles. Could make sense if I get the seat sorted first so that long trips becomes a more realistic option. (I've done several six hours or longer trips, but only with mixed riding and little time on freeways).
    JohnShroe likes this.
  17. Jordym

Jordym n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, i am also a tall Africa Twin rider at 6 ft 5. I also suffered awful buffeting with the standard screen, i bought a GIVI airflow which i could not get to be any better especially over 100KPH. i then did the cut down screen idea with a mate that has a waterjet cutting facility and it now works fine. i have just ordered the MRA sports screen as they look rather cool, i will be interested to see how it goes. someone mentioned the seat, i have also tried a number of things including softer foam and a sheepskin cover none of which solve the issue, i am hoping Corbin does something shortly
  18. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' 2" (188 cm), 34 " inseam and got the bike with Honda tall touring screen. The buffeting is quite heavy over 90 km/h. I tried to ad the adjustable MRA X-Creen spoiler, which I allready had. Made some progress, but still quite heavy noise above 90 km/h.

I think I'll try the MRA Vario Touring next. If that won't help, maybe with Batzen screen adjuster. I was very happy on the Givi AirFlow on my GS, but it seems not to be as good on Africa Twin.

Have any of you tried to ride without mirrors? Some of the noise may be caused by mirrors. In that case the SW-Motech mirror extenders may help as they move mirrors about 5 cms wider both sides.

[​IMG]
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helmets rather than screens? My KTM twin had lots of similar issues. After trying different screens and cutting them up, I ditched the Peak on my Arai XD and it improved even with the stock screen. After a few years I then switched to an Shoei Hornet (old MX version) and that worked well with my Yamaha, but not my KTM 690 with a fly screen. I ditched that helmet for a Shoei RF1200 (traditional full face street/race helmet). That is the quietest helmet I've ever owned and does not suffer buffeting on any of my bikes including the AT. I am 5'9" and have the seat in the low position. The only time I get any bothering is if I ride over 50mph with the face shield full open. I get a blurring helmet vibration on the AT. If I just click the face shield down one notch the vibe is gone. I also have a Shoei Neotec flip face helmet, which is also smooth riding, but like all modular helmets it is heavy and noisy.

As a side-bar, on my KTM single I also changed the mirrors from the tall OEM type to lower folding mirrors. Surprisingly that helped buffeting and vibrations as well. I like the new style Shoei Hornet as it appears more aerodynamic with its smaller and rounded chin bar, but I haven't tried one.
  20. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here you go . . . Adjustable, taller & wider:

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5007/.f

Transform your ride
    MADSTAD's patented system allows riders to adjust the height and angle of their motorcycle windshield resulting in much smoother airflow, better wind protection and a more comfortable ride than any fixed windshield can provide. You can dial in smoother airflow than is ever possible with a fixed windshield, and your view is always comfortably over the top of the shield, never through it!

We've provided much more wind protection with a wider shield that pushes the air out and around you for a larger pocket of comfort. That is a huge advantage which allows you to extend your riding season. You WILL NOT be able to use your factory windshield with our system and you wouldn't want to because of the narrow bottom half that would allow too much air coming into your body.

What's included in the kit
    Our complete drop-in system is custom-made for the Honda Africa Twin and includes everything needed to mount and position the shield. Your bike will not require any modification, and installation takes just minutes.

• Set of black adjustable brackets that attach to the factory windshield brackets

• Light Gray 18 inch windshield (shown) that attaches to the MadStad adjustable brackets

• 7/8" crossbar for mounting your GPS or smartphone

Riding is believing.
    [​IMG]
    With the windshield separated from the fairing riders now have control over the height and angle of the shield to eliminate the vacuum that is the primary cause of most turbulence. The result? Smooth airflow placed exactly where it’s desired. Most customers have found that they can actually get better wind protection with our smaller adjustable shield rather than a larger fixed one. No longer must you compromise wind protection to enjoy the open air motorcycling experience.

Size and Color
    While the MADSTAD windshield systems are fully adjustable, we recommend starting with the appropriate shield size relative to rider height. Please note: uncommon inseam dimensions can impact shield size selection. If you have any questions just give us a call.

RIDER HEIGHT

SHIELD SIZE

Up to 5' 8" (170 cm)

18" (450 mm)

5' 9" to 6' 0" (175 - 182 cm)

20" (500 mm)

6' 1" and taller (180+ cm)

KHVol likes this.