Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. xr650rRider

xr650rRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheap solution for buffeting effects, really works.

jantomas, neepuk and slipknot like this.
  2. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the MRA Vario today along with some other goodies. Took the bike for a spin and was very impressed with the reduction in wind noise and buffeting. I was really bothered by the noise with the stock screen, it absolutely did not work for me. I'm glad to report that I'm now a happy camper.

The only problem I've found is that the screen interferes with the bars at full lock. I have the bars tilted forward from the stock position to aid with standing.
  3. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found that adding spacers under the bottom of the tall Honda Touring screen (allowing a 2" gap at the bottom) helps reduce buffeting greatly. I ride with my face-shield open a couple inches . . . I now have a smooth airflow over my helmet. 5' 11", seat in the high position. It lowers the top of the windscreen for full view over the screen.

[​IMG]
    oalvarez likes this.
  4. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
  5. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Think Madstad should build a unit for the AT soon. Tilt function far exceeds height for buffeting problems.
  6. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
  7. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    I love the Vstream on my S10, but man the Vstreams for the AT are butt ugly!
  8. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    I really like this approach. What did you use for the spacers?
  9. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had extra elastomers from a PHDS (stacked 2 each side taped together). You could probably make spacers from a heavy rubber hose. I used neoprene rubber faucet spacers on the middle mount (stacked as needed).
    Progressive Handlebar Dampening System

http://mx-tech.com/content/mounting_instructions_XTRIG_PHDS.pdf

ktm phds elastomers
    http://www.ktmpartspro.com/oemparts/p/ktm/sxs05125203/elastomer-green-soft

Sample PHDS: For illustration (not my bike)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jgunsett likes this.
  10. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone try the Madstad screen yet ?
    Trying to decide between mra vario , balzen brackets/stock screen , or the madstad offering.
    6'3" tall with a shoei multitec helmet. Will be installing the seat concepts rally seat before spring which will raise my noggin a little higher.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Update: I've now got almost 10,000 miles on my Africa Twin, including a 4000-mile trip through Labrador and Newfoundland, and thoughts of replacing the windscreen have disappeared. The cut-down one (see post #17) has worked out great for me.

--mark
  12. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Added hyperlink for post #17
  13. iammemares

iammemares Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just picked up an AT. second ride and I determined the WS was creating some buffeting and lots of low frequency resonance. I too am the guy always riding with a short windscreen. Get me in clean quiet air and stop jacking around with all this. So it seems the 345mm tall Powerbronze sport is the shortest? I like it. But think something around 320 is best. any others?
  14. schizmoto

schizmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the fit and finish is quite nice. i do need my risers now though, my cycras and gps clamp bump it at full lock.
    20170120_142604.jpg
    Swen13 and mcridr like this.
  15. mcridr

mcridr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Thanks in advance.
  16. jantomas

jantomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even the low powerbronze leaves some noise. Running screenless is the most quiet. But it sort of defeats the purpose of an adventurebike. I recommend that you invest in the mra vario straight away. I tried a lot of different solutions myself but did not get happy in the longer run. If the vario turns out to be too hot on the warmest days I will probably ride screenless. I will try and just loosen the screws and push the screen down (or was it up?) to get it off without loosing or damaging the rubbernuts. Make sure to buy a pack of reserve nuts anyway.

A tacky tip for reducing noise: Suck on your foamy earplugs to wet them before inserting. (But after shaping them a bit with your fingers.) Test for tighness by rubbing your fingertips fast against each other close to the ear. My finding is that whenever the plug works poorly it's because the tip was bent due to too much friction on insertation. Putting them in your mouth is tacky but nobody stops you from washing them as often as you want to. (They need some time to dry and will be very big and fluffy until the water is out.) Carrying several pairs is a good idea since unsuccessful insertation leaves a plug deformed for some time and it's better to just try a fresh one. I lost my own inhibitions after seeing a famous mc journalist suck on his.
  17. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Just received the Batzen screen mounts. Nicely made. Sprung for model with the gps mount, that's going to do nicely for one of my units, the other I'll mount to the bar.

I'll follow up when tested.
  18. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    And with pics of your mounts
  19. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone try the madstad screen yet ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
  20. Moonchicken

Moonchicken Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have a madstad on now and I love it. Problem is solved. I tried the MRA Vario touring screen, the touratech screen, and every wind deflector I could find. None of them worked. I wear an adv helmet with a "beak" on it. I also tried sealing out air around the fork tubes and fairing. That did not work either.