Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:

Any Pictures?
  2. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's great to hear as have been planning on ordering one, was just waiting for some feedback from others before pulling the trigger.
    Can you tell us how tall you are and the screen height ordered

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
  3. Moonchicken

Moonchicken Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I am 5'11" but short inseam and long waist. I have the short and tall windacreen. The tall works better. My problem was helmet vibration from wearing an adventure helmet with a "beak". If i take the beak off the stock windscreen was fine. I ride with the seat in the lower position.
  4. Moonchicken

Moonchicken Wanderer

Oddometer:
    0226171326.jpg
    Stephenmarklay and jgunsett like this.
  5. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Anything new in the world of screens/spoilers/etc?

Any updates on setups that folks are finding work great?

Thanks!
  6. Normallo

Normallo Dirt Convert

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I've been living with the helmet buffeting with the stock windscreen for 8 months now. Tried the short MRA windscreen and it was worse. After reading some other posts about the turbulence coming from the updraft coming from the fork tube area, I decided to see if this was the problem. So, I bought a deflector from eBay and it solved 99% of the turbulence issues. I had super low expectations when I was installing it, but only smiles when I cranked it up to 75 mph with *no* helmet shake. Problem solved!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forkshield-...ash=item1a271dc3d3:g:eDEAAOSwZQRYeW4-&vxp=mtr
    Swen13, x32792 and Liv2Pla like this.
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    The fork shield is money well spent, does a lot to quiet things down. The bolts got rusty fast, I just replaced with some ss ones.

Have the Batzen screen adjusters with gps mount, with a Givi air flow mounted to them. I'd try it without the Batzens, but I'm kinda stuck for now with that gps mount. In any case, this is better than stock, for sure.
    Swen13 likes this.
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Swen can replace them with identical stainless ones that he sourced after the rust problem emerged. Just send him a PM.
    Swen13 likes this.
  9. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    No worries. It's already done, and I still recommend his deflector. :D
    Swen13 likes this.
  10. motomuchacho

motomuchacho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using an Enduristan tankbag that has straps running to the frame/headtube area. If I keep using the tankbag, I'm not sure if the Swegotech deflector would fit without modification. From pictures of the deflector, the buckles on my straps look like they'd be right in the wrong place and I'd rather not adjust the spot where the tankbag sits. Has anyone had to cut slits in the deflector to accommodate the straps/buckles? Any info/suggestions would be great.
  11. redrider650

redrider650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cut slits to fit my giant loop tank bag straps. It works fine, but I thinks the tank bag blocks most of the air. I didn't notice much difference between having the tank bag and deflector or the tank bag without the deflector.
  12. motomuchacho

motomuchacho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks. I plan on trying the Batzen screen riser that just arrived in the mail... After giving that a try, maybe I won't feel the need to do a deflector.
  13. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Car.
    prickett and chrshale like this.
  14. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    Not.
  15. jantomas

jantomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cut out a "fork protector" from an old 3mm neoprene wetsuit and used the same mounting points as others with longer screws and washers. The low frequency resonance is now barely noticeable even in crosswinds and I have started to enjoy running the spoiler on the mra vario in its lowest position. I get a bit more wind noise but it's quite clean and I also have a better view of the terrain right in front of the bike.

I do however still wonder about the effect on my hearing from the exhaust popping. My tinnitus seemed to decrease slightly this winter even if I was riding my 990 daily and windsurfing in gale force winds. Now back on the AT the tinnitus seems to have returned and especially on my right ear. Note that I'm not stating this as a fact. It's only a suspicion. And it's anyway hard to understand why my newest bike should pop worse than my three other bikes combined. And even from new! I know that many owners think it's cool. I sort of do so too. But we didn't really pay for that popping. If there's even a slight possibility of long term hearing damage the popping should be sorted one way or another. Any decent comments?
  16. Mudslingr

Mudslingr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please wear earplugs.
    twinrider likes this.
  17. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I am going to buy the California Scientific tinted "shorty" screen for my AT. I fought with turbulence on a VStrom I had, with stock and Givi Airflow screens. Finally rode over to CalSci in Excramento and got the shorty. Bliss. Smooth airflow at last. I don't mind the wind pressure as long as it is smooth.
    Stephenmarklay likes this.
  18. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Did you (or anyone else who used this) find it helpful with a street helmet? The discussion I saw on the AT forum was mostly about it's effect with a peaked dual-sport lid.
  19. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How tall are you? Please then share your experiences about CalSci.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
  20. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Pulsating Turbulence I experienced a pulsating turbulence when test riding the AT (even at low speeds). Pulsating suggests something is flexing - building up and then dumping. Two solutions have been suggested: A shorter and stiffer windscreen OR equalizing the air flow on both sides of the screen (like Madstad, no affiliation). Has anyone tried spacers (nylon or neoprene) on the screen mounting bolts to allow more airflow on the backside of the OEM screen?