Africa Twin CRF1000L airflow management

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jul 12, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I am 5'10" tall. I decided to not buy the CalSci screen. I asked them if they had a pic of one mounted on an AT, and they didn't have one. Not gonna pay that price for one when I can't even see what it looks like, so I bought the MRA "Sport" screen instead. It seems to work very well for me, putting my head in clean airflow.
  2. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    McMann Screen Mod.jpg
    I did the McMann Screen Mod with nylon spacers on the larger OEM touring screen, and added a PUIG spoiler. I'm 6'1" and there is no turbulence with this set up and it's quiet enough for me to listen to music through my earbuds at a relatively low volume. I've also purchased the Batzen Adjuster and plan to experiment with this as well.
    Immanuel and mcmann like this.
  3. zoro

zoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Swen diffuser for the last month and it has stopped 98% of the high frequency buffeting.
    Running an Arai XD4 with peak and OEM touring screen, huge improvement.
    Swen13 and jantomas like this.
  4. bozo92

bozo92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I 'm just back form a small 2500 km trip from Paris to the Med and return.
    My AT has the high Honda screen from the first day of it's life. No buffeting at all, total comfort.(I'm 1.80m) 2017 04 Rando moto Sud F.DEboudt 092.JPG
    It kills all the flies, not one on the helmet.
    One down point : so efficient that there is not fresh air coming to cool my head or the fog on the visor. I hace to bend to get some fresh air....
    Nothing is perfect
  5. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep my visor open a couple inches for fresh air . . . on my touring screen. Very little helmet noise.
  6. bozo92

bozo92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed that's what I do. And I don't need earplugs either.
  7. Stephenmarklay

Stephenmarklay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the TT "short tinted” and the little wind deflector thing mounted. Now I just need some nice weather to try it out.
  8. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought the demo bike on October, with the Honda touring pack, it was equipped with the Honda touring screen. That made awfull buffeting to my helmet, also with the MRA X-creen spoiler added. Here was good mentions about MRA Vario touring screen, so I sold the Honda touring screen and got the MRA. It was clearly better, but still too much turbulence and buffeting to helmet. I'm 188 cm (6' 2") with long back and 34" inseam. Helmet Shoei Hornet DS.

Now I got Batzen screen adjuster installed. It was a huge improvement for buffeting, even if I did my test ride at heavy winds. I will still try the self made, Swegotech style forkshield.

When I've tried also the forkshield, I'll download a video to Youtube, if the difference in buffeting can be heard.

Note for the MRA Vario Touring Screen owners. The Batzen screen adjuster is not completely compatible with the MRA. There is a vertical groove at MRA. The top ends of the Batzen holder will hit to the edges of MRA screen grooves, limiting the height adjustment range only to the top 30 mm. I think this can be solved by adding 5 mm plastic spacers between the screen and the Batzen, longer adjusting knobs needed also.
    mcridr and x32792 like this.
  9. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep forgetting to ask this until I ride the AT on a chilly morning. I am using the stock screen with a spoiler on it. I am very happy except for one thing. I get a nasty draft at the base of my helmet right at my neck. I have no buffetting since adding the spoiler. Just a cold draft blowing at my neck and up into the helmet from the underside.

Do you think a Swegotech forskshield may minimise this? On my S10 I used to get some wind and helmet buffetting. Widening the mirrors took care of that wind problem.

Thanks for you comments!
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Tape a piece of cardboard there and do a test run.
    Migolito likes this.
  11. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll try that over the weekend.
  12. Stephenmarklay

Stephenmarklay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to take a quick 10 mile spin yesterday to see how this combo works. It was windy out so I had some strong side winds that made it hard to just feel the breeze but my first impression is that the bike now has good airflow for me at 6’0”. I went through a sheltered area at 75 and it was very calm. Better than my f800gs at that speed.
  13. xr650rRider

xr650rRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You don't even have to get that extravagant, just stick your hand over the area to disrupt the airflow, you'll know in seconds if it helps. ANYTHING in the path will disrupt the air and make it better.
    Liv2Pla likes this.
  14. Liv2Pla

Liv2Pla I Ride!

Oddometer:

Exactly! Just hold your hand up by the gas cap over the opening between the tank and handlebars. I did this and the hi frequency buffeting stopped. I promptly ordered the Swegotech style forkshield and it works great for me. Stock low windshield. I'm 5'10' and wearing the Shoei Hornet X2 helmet with the visor.
    Dyrden and Swen13 like this.
  15. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    That's what it looks like to me. I have one on my AT but it is the clear version.
  18. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer: