Africa Twin CRF1000L suspension

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by uk_mouse, Jun 22, 2016.

1. 97707

97707 Go Long

Oddometer:
    This post is a couple months old, but it raises a big red flag. I wonder how many AT owners who have had the tube wear and stiction issues have checked for clearance between the front tire and the skid plate.

It wouldn't take much of a bump there to cause problems.

I believe I recall one manufacturer (Outback Motortek?) had to do a design mod because of issues there.

2. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SW Motech skid plate. No contact with front wheel on 2017 standard shift AT. Plenty of jumps and lots of potholed roads with full bottoming of suspension in cross ditches.
    97707 likes this.
  3. randallz2002

randallz2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rick from Cogent sent me a email. I am on his waitlist...he copied a email direct from ohlins
  4. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are replacing the oem with KYB currently with some really impressive parts from Camel. Took apart the old forks and the hard type III anodize to my surprise is holding up. The fluid was really dirty so I made the assumption that they had gone bad but not so. Have to have a look see if something else is going on. Cody is over 200lbs and the bike is here, it is quite evident that the skid plate has rubber on it from the tire.
    Camel ADV likes this.
  5. 97707

97707 Go Long

Oddometer:
    Whatever other faults the AT forks have, it seems a condition where the bash plate interferes with fork travel is a recipe tweaking the tubes.

Dunnit?

What plate is on there?

6. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black Dog
    97707 likes this.
  7. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was no recall I'm aware of. SW Motech changed their design to prevent contact, but never recalled their original design. With the old design you can provoke contact when braking hard from high speed on tarmac. Very light contact though, and only if you brake really hard from speeds above 100 Km/h.
    Reason for this is definitely flexing fork tubes..... the down-side of lightweight construction ..
  8. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    No issues on OEM forks or Ohlins. ALTrider plate here.
    Further testing this weekend!:D
    97707 likes this.
  9. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    good question. I think the stockers have a top out of some sort. Never heard the bastards clunk.
    That said, the OOOOOOOOhhhs are back in. Top out re-work done, and 2.5W oil. Blastoff in T minus 59 minutes!
  10. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I believe you are correct on the pre load adjuster. NEver looked closely at the oem one.
    Aftermarket jobbies, have separate hyd. fluid pushing two pistons apart. Dead easy design, and easy enough to turn. Best to have bike on C.stand to aid in the adjustment.
  11. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Closed cartridges are a TPITBs!
    I had a 2CS fork on my 2011 ktm 300. Compression had a bladder filled with nitrogen. Never really worked properly and was a bitch to service yourself (2 or three speciality tools needed to service)
    The 4cs in my 2014 xc300 was better. It came re-valved from the PO. Rode a buddy's stock 4CS..like being suspended on 2 by 4s.
    My 2018 Beta 300 has regular jo blow open cartridge forks. Again revalved by the PO, not really sure they needed it but it was a free upgrade with the bike.
    Stupid simple to service, and work as intended.
  12. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock preload adjuster is hydraulic. had it in my hand. cracked the bleed screw and fluid came out. It works properly provided the top spring collar is installed correctly - flange against the spring. Install the top spring collar upside down and the first 18 clicks do nothing until the piston contacts the collar....
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    anyone lowered the suspension by an inch?

i'm 5'10 with 32 inseam. i can almost flat foot my 2016 DCT with 2 feet. i already replaced the stock springs with stiffer ones. the seat is set at low position.

pretty much i would turn it into a street bike.

i wonder if there's any negative or unfavorable effect in shortening the suspension.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do a lot of suspension work for locals.I have found that as long as you drop both ends the same no bad handling effects.Actually can make them easier to handle because you lower cg.1" on back can use a link and still work well.The front should have the cartridge pulled out and a machined 1" spacer to put in to shorten rebound travel 1".On the AT the not reusable bottoming stopper has to be removed to pull cartridge.There is now a reusable replacement but not always nessesary.I talked to Rick at cogent and for street use they sometimes leave them out.I would give Rick a call about the mod if your not sure about doing the work yourself.Guys a total guru with adv suspension.Todd will most likey answer phone but if Rick is not buried up to his nuts in springs and shims is happy to help.He built a bad ass shock for me out of stock body to beta test and cannot seem to kill the damn thing.
    NSFW and Amphib like this.
  15. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the stock AT springs languishing on a shelf they'd like to get rid of?

Or trade one stock soft spring for one of my stiffer aftermarket springs?

The previous owner of my AT put in stiffer springs but they're too stiff for the stock valving (and for our crappy MN roads). It does handle better on road in the corners than the overly soft stock springs, but it's too bouncy for most of the riding I do.

I don't know what he put in there and haven't opened the forks to see if there are any markings on the springs.

So I'd like to try the stock springs, even trying replacing just one spring to get a happy medium between stock soft and the hard I have now.
  16. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yup. i went back and read it in the manual too. surprised i didn't see it at first since i held it too. its a sucky one.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will take a look in garage.If they are still there you can have them for shipping.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

thanks JJ. i'm comfortable with the forks, though it's limited to WP on the 2013 and older KTMs.

found this one, kit for the rear. the -30 mm will be the one.

https://krooztune.store/shop/brands/honda/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-lowering-kit/

i bought my rear spring from cogent and will contact rick for the front forks, spacer and shorter springs.

next is how to deal with the center stand.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    pm address and will shoot them out tuesday or Wednesday.The center stand is easy fix at any local shop. 20190629_154301.jpg 20190629_154242.jpg
    NSFW and Amphib like this.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a nice strong looking kit.