Africa Twin CRF1000L suspension

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by uk_mouse, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can set the oil but leave the springs in if not stock and set at 50 to 55 mm.Forks compressed and damper rod all the way down when doing this.
  2. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting observation ... I know that the advice is usually to measure with springs in as different springs displace different amounts of oil. But the Ohlin's manuals specify to measure with springs out, and the fluid should be 90mm from the top. I wonder it both methods result in 50-55mm with the springs in.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I thought you were talking stock forks.We arrived at the 50 to 55 by testing with the stock springs for a base line.with the Ohlin you would need to check with stock spring in and out to get that baseline. I found when I switched to .82 springs they jacked my oil level up more than 20mm if I remember correctly. So far my 2016 forks have 13k miles on them since honda replaced the uppers and still work smooth with there hard coating. The zombie apocalypse sure screwed up my riding it this summer and only put 2k on this year so far.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I think you also said the RT springs are longer. What is the reasoning behind using longer springs than the OEM? I assume that just a stiffer spring at the same length would still allow you to set your preload correctly and you'd still have the correct travel.
  5. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All Racetech springs are longer than OEM so you have to cut down the 400mm tube as required for the difference in spring length.
    I think K-Tech springs are same length as OEM and drop in.
    Result is the same after the tube trim, the spring preload adjuster works and full travel is achieved.
    That said, the tube (part #3) is CHEAP at $3.73 CDN!! Easy to swap springs without fork removal from the bike.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 19.22.23.png
    NSFW and Junglejeff1 like this.
  6. Steamboat87

Steamboat87 SoCal now, Indiana raised, and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    How do you like the difference? Worth the $$ and would you say the $$ spent on it is a huge improvement?
  7. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Huge improvement. Worth the $$. Especially when coordinated with fork service for leaking seals. No stiction.
    Doesn't dive as much on braking. Doesn't bottom out on cross ditches. Rear doesn't need max preload - I can get proper sag set. Rear much better on corrugated gravel uphills.
    If you want to spend more - drop in Ohlins cartridges up front - with new springs.
  8. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    full Ohlins is worth it 2
    randallz2002 likes this.
  9. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody have recommendations on where to start with suspension settings after increasing spring rate to 0.72 front, 10.27 rear cogent springs for a #250 lb rider?
  10. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered the FKA110 kit.

That's my plan! I've found that a good suspension has near zero ROI when it's time to sell, at least in my tiny market. I'll keep the original stuff ... swap over ... and sell the ohlin cartridges and shock separately and get about half my money back then.

Start with setting your sag - actual measurements etc.

I found I couldn't get the right sag with the stock springs. I could with the stiffer (.75) springs but the valving couldn't keep up, so I did one side OEM one side .75 ... but even at minimum preload (still not correct sag) the valving couldn't keep up, so I switched to a thicker (15W) fluid and that helped a little but there's still an annoying bounce, especially around town ~35 mph.
    bbanker likes this.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back off your compression settings for both ends 4 to 6 clicks.Just turn rear shock rebound all the way in as it does not have enough even for stock spring.The only fix on shock rebound is a rev as revalve.
  12. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my suspension pulled apart. A couple observations.

First, anodizing is wearing off but there is no longer any stiction. The wear area on one leg is a big 2-inch circular area. Other leg is about .75 inches top-to-bottom unevenly around the fork. Makes sense, I've rotated them once in a while. I'm going to keep running them until I have stiction issues again. The only time I experienced stiction was on the 2k miles ride home from buying it with 9k miles on it; come to hard stop and it would kind of "pop" up. When I got home I rotated the uppers and pulled one of the stiff springs our and replaced with a stock spring and haven't had an issue since.

Second, spacers have indeed been cut down. Aftermarket springs are 35 mm shorter than OEM but spacers are about 25mm shorter than stock (if they were 40 cm to start with). The PO must not have cut them down enough, no wonder it was too tight and difficult to set preload correctly.

Third, the springs in there were marked "531018" and "75". I'm going to guess ".75" kg/mm but I wonder which brand the number corresponds to? Anyway, I'll be throwing these up in the flea market in a couple minutes in case anyone is interested.

Fourth, I'm really annoyed that my new cartridges aren't here yet. USPS shows they arrived in St. Paul on Friday and usually that means I have them the next day. I should have had them today. Hopefully tomorrow. Or did the rioters put the mail trucks on fire too?
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rioters probably using them to break windows at target.
  14. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got word that my shock work is done and it's being shipped back to me today. Should have it and my fork springs by Saturday. Hopefully it won't be too hard to service the forks!

Thanks @NC Rick and everyone at Cogent for the quick turnaround!
    Junglejeff1, cblais19 and bbanker like this.
  15. William Wolfen

Oddometer:
  16. William Wolfen

Oddometer:
    Got the end of the rod out. I can get the cap back on, but only with about 2.5 turns off thread engagement. Good enough for a season and fix it next summer?

IMG_20200905_100426_9.jpg
  17. William Wolfen

Oddometer:
    Probably best to call it dead. Anyone have a spare cartridge assembly?
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Post up a WTB thread in the FM here and in the classifieds on the AT forum. Someone's bound to have an old one laying around, or more likely a pair of old ones.
  19. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Same happened to local guy. He found a set of OEM cartridges left over from an Öhlins upgrade. hit the suspension posts with requests for used parts.
    good luck.
  20. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a complete set of OEM internals left over from
    I wonder if you can do a couple things to increase the threads available ... for example, trim off some of the top of the existing rod so it will thread in deeper, and replace the nut with a thinner one? This will effectively increase your preload.

Looks like a good reason to upgrade to FKA110's ;-)