Africa Twin CRF1000L suspension

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by uk_mouse, Jun 22, 2016.

1. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I switched my springs out last week with 0.72 front and 10.72 rear from Cogent. I'm #255 or so without gear or luggage or anything. Man what a difference appropriate spring rates make. I set the damping back to EOM recommendations and am super happy with the performance. The fork oil was pretty dirty and had aluminium glitter but I didn't bother looking for Ano wear as I don't have any stiction. I'm currently at 23K miles of mixed on and off road use. Thanks @NC Rick and Todd for spending he time on the phone with me, and I'm super pleased with the result so far. And thanks for the lifesavers.
    Junglejeff1, NC Rick and Amphib like this.
  2. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for your kind words as well as your business!
    William Wolfen and bbanker like this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    2018 AT.
    I am 145lbs with no gear. Racetech does not sell a fork spring light enough for my weight, according to their online calculator which shows .73kg recommended and round up to what is available .75kg, do you sell a softer spring than .75kg? Even if I put in less weight and every option into their calculator that would necessitate going to a softer spring, nothing softer than .75kg is available.
    Thanks
  4. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    The stock spring and forks should be fine for your weight.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    and if you just want it slightly stiffer than stock you can run a stock spring in one side and a .75 in the other.Cogent also sells lighter springs than .75.I know for sure that they sell .72,s.Also the race tech springs are a retrofit spring that is longer and requires cutting spacer down.Cogent springs are made for bike and are drop in without cutting spacer.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Mixing spring rates isn't a problem, but I wouldn't want to mix a linear rate spring and the stock progressive rate spring. Maybe in reality that isn't a problem, I don't know, just doesn't seem ideal.
    leethal likes this.
  7. bbanker

Oddometer:
    Stock setup should be great for your weight.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I don't have any major complaints but I would prefer to run constant rate springs.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would make it less divey in front.With suspension it is all about tuning to get what you want.Mixing springs is a common tuning tool.It seems weird but remember some forks only have a spring in 1 side.Always surprises me that it does not have weird twisting effects on forks. I like my linear springs as my steering is way more accurate without that big movement with every weight shift.If I was a long rider banging out tons of miles I would most likly enjoy the soft suspension but I mainly use mine in less than 300 mile trips tearing up back roads.I did 500 miles one day and found my suspension starts to beat me up a little.
    NSFW likes this.
  10. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I just put a .75 in my right fork, with a shortened spacer. The left fork has the stock spring. What a difference, brake-dive is just about all gone. I wouldn’t make any other changes if I knew my bike was only ever going to see pavement.

Oh, forgot: I also have a TT rear spring, the softer of the two. Still noticeably firmer than stock.
  11. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    It’s amazing to me how sensitive the fork rebound valves are to the number of turns. At full in I just about lose control on the freeway if the air is dirty from big trucks. At 90% of one turn out it jackhammers a little bit. At 75% of one turn out. Feels great on the freeway but jerks the handlebars off road. At one half to 40% of one turn out from hard it’s flawless on and off road and feels like $3,000 forks.

Surprisingly I got a better improvement out of a respring/revalve/rebuild from Konflict out of the stock shock on the rear than I did out of anything I did to the forks and I improved the forks 100x with the help of the knowledgeable and helpful people who hang out here. Grateful.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Is that your experience using the stock fork springs?
  13. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toto is back in her feet. Got a test ride planned tomorrow. Can't wait to see how the improved boingers do! Thanks again @NC Rick and his team at Cogent Dynamics!
    Amphib and cblais19 like this.
  14. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    No. .72 straight rate.
    bbanker and swimmer like this.
  15. bbanker

Oddometer:
    I did the same and a 10.72 rear. Super happy. Gave her a good flogging this last weekend on and offroad loaded up and it was perfect.
    Amphib likes this.
  16. ClaudiuIgnat

ClaudiuIgnat n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Riders! I have some problem with my front suspension after the fork service done by Honda dealer from Cluj Napoca România. After a offroad trip with a lot of mud crossing one of the front fork tubes started to bleed OIL. Ok, nothing to worry about i knew the problem with the front fork seal leak on this model. I went to the dealer because they could fix my bike. After the service was done i came with my bike home and tried to do my setting on the fork. Surprinse. One tube at the preload have done only 5 turns. The other one 15 turns so no problem. And when The 5 turns was done the blue bolt was rise for 1 mm and there was a gap and some freeplay. The rebound was again only 1.5 turns for this tube. The other one 4 turns s-o no problem. I take the bike AT The dealer again to fix the problem. They said to me The cap was bound and they order a New fork cap for Free for me. Ok. Yesterday i pick up the bike again and surprise. The preload works fine 15 turns but the rebound adjusters doesn't stop at all when i turn clockwise. I have made 6 turns and doesn't stop and the adjusters was already 2 mm unde the preload adjusters. What the hell îs with this dealer. What could be wrong now? IMG_20201014_123831.jpg
  17. ClaudiuIgnat

ClaudiuIgnat n00b

Oddometer:
    I am afraid to continue to turn the rebound adjuster more then 6 turns to find when he stop. Probably the adjuster will drop some internal pieces and then will be to much fun for me.
  18. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the "mechanic" at the dealer didn't know how to properly assemble these forks. There's a specific procedure you have to follow. The rebound adjuster rod actually determines the length of the fork.
  19. ClaudiuIgnat

ClaudiuIgnat n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes. This dealer became Honda motorcycle dealer since january this year. Probably one Honda cars mechanic has moved to motorcycle departament. So for a normal fork service i have to take the third visit to the service. Next Time i will do it myself
  20. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first time I pulled my forks apart and reassembled I had this same problem. Closer inspection of the service manual indicated that I had not properly backed out the adjusters (preload and damping) when putting it together. So I did that (disassemble, backed out, assembled) and then everything worked properly.