Africa Twin Farkle Fest with Pictures

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by NoVa Rider, May 26, 2016.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it use a different exhaust that the previous years?
  2. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Sure does apart from the header bolts in the head no other mounts are in the same location and its got a servo motor controlling a back pressure valve in the muffler.
  3. txfalls

txfalls n00b

Oddometer:
    That is the screen protector for the new display I believe. I keep meaning to find where I put mine and put it on.
  4. txfalls

txfalls n00b

Oddometer:
    My latest farkle, Tire-O-flato!

540 miles on the odometer, was planning to take it in for its first service check-up this week.

Anyone else have issues with OEM tubes? This is a 2020 CRF1100. IMG_5245.jpeg
    B-Nads likes this.
  5. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    My original rear tire and tube had quite the affinity for nails... 3 nails before I got rid of that tire. I patched the original tube after the first mail so it got punctured twice.
  6. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    From the looks of it, you changed the tire. But you re-used the original tube? I would have put a UHD tube in there if not converting to tubeless.
    EmmEff and sheath like this.
  7. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also a fan of UHD tubes. Normally I'm not into anything that increases rotational mass, or unsprung weight. To me, this is a necessary weight increase.
    Kind of like light beer, it's what you put at the front of the fridge to pacify your wife, while the Kegerator in the garage is full of something worth drinking.
  8. moparren

moparren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got pinch flats with the OEM setup. Fixed it by getting rid of the craptastic OEM tires.
    txfalls likes this.
  9. txfalls

txfalls n00b

Oddometer:
    No, those are the oem tires and tubes. I was planning on changing the tires soon, just not necessarily after 500 miles.
  10. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    Karoo Streets? OEM on 2020 AT? Wow, did NOT see that coming. Honda actually making some reasonable choices...

Didn't mean to cast you in a negative light @txfalls just seemed like an opportunity to share a best practice given those weren't the OEM Dunlop 95/5 donuts we're all used to seeing on new ATs. In any event, now that you have the flat, just switch over to UHD or tubeless and if the tire passes inspection (run a cloth along the inside to snag on anything small but sharp), run it till you shred it - I love my Karoo 3 front tire and the Street versions have caught my eye as I start riding less dirt for whatever reason.
  11. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UHD tubes run too hot. HD tubes work fine. Much better than OEM tubes.
  12. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    Not for me they don't. My TPMS has shown up to 110*F before, actual tube and tire probably hotter in spots - I've looked for "how hot is too hot" and come up empty, but haven't had heat-related flats. Then again I generally don't do more than an hour of highway at a time and am very much like Goldilocks about the weather and temp even within the day, love riding in the spring and fall in particular and am big on avoiding the mid-day high temps. For my 50/50 day-riding full of rocks UHD tubes are peace of mind because I have had flats due to other issues.
  13. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    My experience (not to start a best oil, chain lube, battery tire or tube offshoot), returning from a weekend camping trip, 200 miles into a 260 mile return home, rear tire went flat at 60+ mph.

Kenda told me from the picture that it looked like the tube ( a HD) overheated.

I've since changed over to regular tubes.

20181104_171035.jpg
    rbsride365 likes this.
  14. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :eek2

There's something you don't see every day. I assume you had sufficient pressure in the tire for the road? That will help heat the crap out of it.

I swapped tires today on my AT. I put uhd tubes in. I've run them before but never heard of anyone with problems like that. The factory tubes (and tires) were thinner than my bicycle tubes. shees.
  15. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    A good reason to go tubeless unless you air way down for dirt.
    windowto likes this.
  16. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand of tube were you running? Is the tube the correct size? Undersize tubes of synthetic rubber tend to rip and tear when punctured.
    I prefer HD (not UHD) tubes from Heidenau or Michelin. Anything that has a higher Natural rubber content and is not fully synthetic rubber.
  17. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    It was a:

Kenda Heavy Duty Tube - 4.50/5.10-18 - TR-6 67205229

A Tuff Tube 2.3-2.4mm thick per Kenda. Had 6,100 miles in a Karoo 3 and then 1,000 miles in the Pirelli Scorpian Rally shown in the photo. I was returning from a weekend camping/riding around the Smokey Mtn N.P. Between me, sidecases and duffle bag with camping gear maybe 400 lbs of added weight.

Could have got a puncture on the road, lowering pressure, before the catastrophic failure. Could be the tube overheated in the Scorpian Ralley, or wore, or.......

I went from 60+ to 5-10 mph in a very short distance, the "loose" tire spun on the wheel and had evidence of heat distress too.

In 40+ years of riding, It was my 1st motorcycle flat (during a previous night campfire discussion I made the mistake of stating such and was punished by the moto spirits for my hubris on the ride home).
    gammel, CLANTECH, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  18. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    I have seen that on a number of UHD tubes when run on the highway, maybe not as many bits as that but you can tear the rubber like paper after they come out. I though that HD tubes might be ok but looks like it happens to them as well.
    How many patches did it take when you put the tube back in.
  19. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    Michelin and Bridgestone the way to go with UHDs. Kenda is not a brand I myself associate with anything I'd use on the street. My bet would be that there was a factor other than the heat and that the heat was due to too low of tire pressure. For that weight I would have had the rear tire at 40+ PSI. The side cases and duffel put weight over the rear tire probably even more than a passenger who would snug up against the rider to be more centered on the bike.

Did you have a replacement tube to use on the spot? That would be telling, too, how things worked out afterwards if you got back on the road with same load and conditions but a new tube.
  20. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to take away from tube discussions but is there a HD alternative to the Camel kickstand? Im a big one and am becoming a bit nervous about mounting using peg on my new 2019. I can usually mount OK by a leg swing but dismounting is problematic due to many leg surgeries
    bbanker likes this.