Africa Twin Farkle Fest with Pictures

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by NoVa Rider, May 26, 2016.

1. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    CamelADV sidestand is great. I’m #255 buck nekkid and I have no reservations mounting from the left peg now.
  2. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I agree with this same weight and a loaded down bike. Only gripe with it is it makes my bike sit damn near straight up and down. Which makes the bike only like to be parked in certain directions. Other then that way better then stock which I bent.
  3. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need better spring rates. Call @NCRick at Cogent Dynamics. He or Todd will get you straightened out. Best money I’ve spent on my ‘17.
    William Wolfen likes this.
  4. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:
    Oh i agree that I need suspension work. Bit currently being on the road I dont have that option at the time. But when I get home that is on the list of upgrades right at the top.
  5. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Set your suspension sag. Crank up the preload on the rear especially - your bike will sit higher and lean more on the side stand.
  6. vfrgreg

vfrgreg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3732.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_4393.jpg
    62191202650__8E08F847-D746-4046-AE6E-1356AF962436.jpg

Alpina wheels and Ohlins suspension makes a perfect AT
    rbsride365, Amphib, Vaporous1 and 6 others like this.
  7. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the side stand advice, but Camel is out of stock on standard side stands. I'm also tall which means I prefer a taller seat to open up my hips. Reading here it seemed my alternatives were $400 aftermarket seats, Seat concepts tall foam, or a $500 tall seat from Europe and none are in blue/black. I also read that the Adventure Sport seat is 30mm taller than the L model. My seat has a blue top and black sides, and I discovered the 2018 ATAS used the same seat so I ordered one. Came in today and it's PERFECT!!!! $177 at dealer, complete seat. Taller than L model, nice and flat, and it feels wonderful. I also read the bars and wind screens are taller , might be next. In case any new guys that arent intimately familiar with Africa Twins read this and need a taller seat and can accept stock foam this is what I ordered.
    SEAT, MAIN (TYPE4) (HIGH)
    77600-MKK-D20ZB
    seat (1).jpg
    Honda-50 and bbanker like this.
  8. byknphil

byknphil lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:

I had it set up for riding to work unloaded and it worked well. But I will give that a go in a couple days when I get back to the bike.
  10. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins forks aren't worth the money says the guy here who is intimately familiar with his own Ohlins...upper tube wear like OEM, no top-out spring. And there are better shocks out there for the money. Not sure what you gain with Alpina wheels, sure quality is higher but who is complaining about their OEM wheels other than wishing they were tubeless from the factory?
  11. Beaverpuncher

Beaverpuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to adding the chain oiler. I ended up purchasing the knock off unintentionally. I'm not exactly happy with final 9n the swing arm but will figure something out at a later date.

Attached Files:

12. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:
    I have bein on the fence about a chain oiler, because that's definetly one thing I forget to do quit often.
  13. Beaverpuncher

Beaverpuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:

I don't mind cleaning a chain. I basically do it every ride and check the tires. I just figured why not.
    MillennialFalcon likes this.
  14. Beaverpuncher

Beaverpuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is actually my favorite thing I've done. Dustpan sunshade.

Attached Files:

15. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually like the stock ATAS foot pegs, but I decided to try some of the cheap Chinese oversized billet pegs. There's no way I was going to spend $150 plus on some of the fancy pegs that are available online, but $28 for someChinese pegs was worth a try.

They fit great and feel and look good. I'll have to test them later this week.
    20201019_194244.jpg

Since I was ordering from Amazon, I decided to order a fork shield as well to see if this reduces the buffeting around the helmet like everyone says.
    20201019_195642.jpg

I don't like the looks of it, but it does reduce the buffeting! The clamp on MRA-X screen works well for me and in the high position this reduces buffeting significantly, but it never completely eliminated it. I wish I had installed this before my trip to Moab last month, it makes Interstate riding much more bearable.

Since I was in my shop today installing these new goodies, I decided to install a new AX41 rear tire as well. The worn AX41 rear had only been on the bike for a little over a month, but after the Moab trip and some other local trips, this tire was worn at 3,800 miles. I love the AX41 tires and will probably stick with these for the foreseeable future. I had the Shinko 804/805 combo before but I think I like the Bridgestone AX41's better.
    20201019_195704.jpg
    rbsride365, Cuttin, Vaporous1 and 3 others like this.
  16. gammel

gammel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a Chevy guy, but nice truck :D
  17. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toto is developing nicely. Excellent camel toe now. Next up is the right peg brace, but I've not the time tonight to remove the skid plate and exhaust to get it installed. PXL_20201029_225628847.jpg
    Getnout and Amphib like this.
  18. Cuttin

Cuttin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...if its handy....do you have links for the pegs and shield...??
  19. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cuttin likes this.
  20. CRFan1

CRFan1 Been here awhile

Oddometer: