Africa Twin Farkle Fest with Pictures

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by NoVa Rider, May 26, 2016.

1. MrTwister1

MrTwister1 Things that can kill me, make me feel alive.

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to spend the money on bar risers, here two things you can do.
    Your bar risers are offset towards the rider.
    Disconnect the bars and with a air Impact gun and a very long extension ( three put together ) loosen the bolts on the underneath side. Rotat the risers around the opposite way, install your bars rolling them up to where the barends are more level but do not go to far or you'll hit your faring at full crank, and then tighten up risers by hand with a socket wrench.
    In this picture you can see the offset and we already turned it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Afterwards
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry for duplicate pic but I've been having problems with Photobucket lately and I do not know how to delete the pic.
    misterk and Woody469 like this.
  2. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good information. Mine are in transit and are scheduled to be here Tuesday.
    MrTwister1 likes this.
  3. MrTwister1

Oddometer:
    Something else, both of the front engine gaurds share the same bolt and the rear of both body gaurds share the same bolt.
    The longest bolt that HB provided of two on the right engine gaurd (the one to the left in the pic) I thought was way to long, so I used the stock bolt and it worked fine.
    It will also be a good idea to have someone help with holding the body gaurds in place while starting the bolts.
  4. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it.

Thanks.
  5. bruceca2002

bruceca2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kelowna, Britsh Columbia and Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Can anyone confirm if the SW Motec skid plate will work with the Honda accessory centre stand? Thanks
  6. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it should fit. My Honda dealer told me the SW Motech center stand is almost the same as Honda's original. Next week i will get mine and post pic's.
  7. Juha

Juha Adventurer of the Arctic Twin

Oddometer:
    Thanks, great info! I have these H&B bars on order.
    Just wondering, is it possible to change DCT oil filter without taking right side engine guard off, looks like there is not much space for that. Does anyone have these bars on DCT-model?

[​IMG]
  8. retired motoman

retired motoman LifeIsShort,EnjoyTheRide!

Oddometer:
    Anybody tried Honda's tall windshield yet? The stock one works well but is a little noisy.
  9. MrTwister1

Oddometer:
    The Oxford X20 Adventure. I really like this bag. I've used their magnetic sport bags and saddle bags for 15 years. Very good quality.
    I wanted this bag in quick release version, but like just about everything else you try to get for this bike, the adapter plate wasn't out for the AT yet. So I went with the strap version. The only time I notice it being a little to big is when standing and then I'm up against it. But it doesn't prevent me from moving around on the bike. It comes with a electronics cords outlet in front, a map pocket, and GPS/phone pocket that you can see right in the middle of the map pocket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. MrTwister1

Oddometer:
    I went with the Tourtech kickstand foot enlarge vs the SWMOTECH one because it's about $30.00 cheaper and look almost the same.
    [​IMG]
  11. MrTwister1

Oddometer:
    Because of the battery location, I decided it would be better to use a Blue Sea junction box from under the seat to run all power cords from there. The plugs you see in the one pic are what we use for everything. GPS, radar detector, heated gear, battery tender, and air pump. It just makes it alot easier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1litre likes this.
  12. Woody469

Woody469 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea!! And what exactly did you gain and or lose? Taller by a touch? Any contact points now like windshield?
    MrTwister1 likes this.
  13. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    I don't understand this. I just rotated the handlebars 10-20 degrees up, and this is a perfect position for standing on the bike. I'm 6'1". Bar risers are not needed unless you are very tall.
    redrider650 and MrTwister1 like this.
  14. MrTwister1

Oddometer:
    I gained more height which brings my elbows up while sitting where they should be and more comfortable while standing. By turning the stock bar risers around, it gives a little more room at full crank for my tank bag. It feels alot better for me.
    The only negative thing I can say is the brake cable parcialy blocks the view of the odometer.
  15. Woody469

Oddometer:
    I guess my main question is did it make it so the mirrors or any other item now makes contact with the windshield in a full turn situation since you shifted everything forward?
    MrTwister1 likes this.
  16. MrTwister1

Oddometer:
    No, everything works fine. Also, by rolling the bars forward it the put levers in perfect downward position for standing.
    Woody469 likes this.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, NoVA Rider and I saw the significant wiggle and were BOTH concerned. This is his bike, I have no dog in this fight. I do like the bike so far, and will ride it in the near future. I am not, as you suggest, a "Beemerphile". I do like them, but I like lots of bikes. That doesn't mean I think other bikes are inferior. You, on the other hand, are a certified BMW hater, so maybe we should wonder about your motives? :dunno
    oalvarez and cug like this.
  18. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    That must be a US specific steel plate with the reflectors and the light extension the AU model looks like your cut down version

Attached Files:

19. Woody469

Oddometer:
    Does your plate mount directly to the plastic fender or is there something between them? Looks like a simple conversion to that style to me, and yes those stupid reflectors are required to be installed on all new US bikes unfortunately to muck up any tail!
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    As for the tail light flopping around being an engineered feature, really? Just because it flops around doesn't mean it is for a reason. Can you prove it is an engineered feature? I have never seen that on ANY other bike, of any make! So why would a floppy light be a necessity on this specific bike? Hmmmmm, drink the Honda KoolAid now?
    michaeln and oalvarez like this.