Africa Twin Farkle Fest with Pictures

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by NoVa Rider, May 26, 2016.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No jumping a shark, whatever that means, just trying to figure out where you got you information other than making it up based on "they all do that, so it must be on purpose"? :dunno

Just to be clear. Because all of them do it, you conclude that Honda engineered a floppy tail light, when NO other bike has that? Bikes that are far more off road capable have tail lights that do not flop around! Amazing leap of logic, or illogic.

Just to make sure people do not think I am a hater, I like the bike. I think it is great that a reasonably priced bike is available. One that has decent power, decent suspension, and decent electronics! Good on Honda, it is about time! :thumb

I'll stop now. You are right about one thing. No point in cluttering this thread with silliness.
  2. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I said you were right about ONE thing, not everything. :deal

Deleting your assertions does not delete what you think.
    oalvarez likes this.
  3. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Yes through bolts with washer and locknut straight to the plastic.
    Woody469 likes this.
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That Honda's engineers know what they're doing and the flexibly mounted tail light isn't a "mistake" that needs fixing? Absolutely. :1drink
    retired motoman and Woody469 like this.
  5. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Again, you are making this assertion based on ONLY the fact that they all flop around. Not one other bike does this! Engineering genius or error? :rolleyes
  6. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jim, I think it's engineering genius, and there is some precedent. I know of at least two other cases, Yamaha WR250R tail light and Super Tenere license plate light.
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    But why? Why make it flop around when it is just not necessary? Makes zero logical sense to "engineer" it like that. I just can't get the reasoning behind the need to make it flop around. It seems to me that it will eventually shake itself loose and fall off. Besides, it just looks cheesy, like it is broken. :dunno

Anyhow, whatever, a small blight on an otherwise cool bike. :deal
  8. daninghram

daninghram Doesn't give a duck.

Oddometer:
    Hey, I am looking for a way to mount my Montana GPS to the bar over the dash. Anybody know of a Ram mount ball for .5 inch rail? The only ball I could find was 1.5 inch I need 1 inch.
  9. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Take a little 1/2" heater hose cut about 3/4" and slice it like pacman put it around the bar seal one wrap of black electric tape and add the ram mount with plastic insert pn#ram-b231zu
    daninghram likes this.
  10. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I would have rather waited for the mount from Rugged roads but Radio World is within riding distance and had everything I needed for 100.00 Cdn.
    daninghram likes this.
  11. MrTwister1

MrTwister1 Things that can kill me, make me feel alive.

Oddometer:
    This comes with a large and small u-bolts. I used the small one anhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012...=Ram+Mount&dpPl=1&dpID=31c44TAdq-L&ref=plSrchd then had to cut off the excess threads so it wouldn't interfere with the ball. As you can see my buddy doing in the pic.

[​IMG]
  12. krussell

Oddometer:
    daninghram likes this.
  13. Bbarsh

Bbarsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    daninghram likes this.
  14. krussell

Oddometer:
    daninghram likes this.
  15. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Not sure I understand why you'd mount stuff in front or you, obscuring the forward view and road hazards. I used the simple-to-install Touratech bar that uses the 4 handlebar bolts, and it's a nice location:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NDKRomany likes this.
  16. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Because I'm standing most of the time and leaning forward I can't see through the screen anyway
  17. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    "Not sure I understand why you'd mount stuff in front or you, obscuring the forward view and road hazards."

What about the road hazards you don't see when you're looking down at your bar mounted GPS? I think that's the reason riders, myself included, mount the GPS up higher so you can glance at it while keeping your gaze forward.
    prince666, misterk, Mklaz and 6 others like this.
  18. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Too each his own. I glance down to read my instrument panel, and have the GPS angled so I can read it while standing. The bars are pretty forward on this bike.
    But, Tourtech also makes a simple bar for the windshield frame, if you'd rather put your stuff there. I personally feel that RAM mounts are bulky and unaesthetic.
  19. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Riding seated ain't riding! Just kidding I'm seated most the time but I'm with you about having it up higher I don't want to look down. Dakar rally style boys books and trips up high!
  20. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    The TT mount bar puts them even higher and you still need attachment to get your gear mounted to that bar. With the ram I have infinite positioning and options. I can profile or landscape my phone and put in my etrax as well to have one gps on compass or map and one on statistics while previewing video and managing communications on the phone. It's all just fun for now trying out different things in different places. Ever seen a Dakar rally bike instrumentation package?
    MrTwister1 likes this.