Africa Twin grip heat...summore

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by canyncarvr, Jan 6, 2020.

1. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the interference/noise filter part of the install was maybe NOT a part of the latest kit because the filter is not pictured as a part. Wrong. The filter IS included in the parts bag.

I'm betting some DIY installers have put the heated grips on their bike and NOT fussed with cutting into the factory harness to install the filter. This question is for them:

Do your grip heaters work satisfactorily having left out the filter?

Even better would be the input of someone that tried the install without and with the filter and how did that effect the operation of the heaters.

Maybe the filter is to prevent a problem showing up somewhere else NOT grip heat related? Anyone that put their OEM heaters on without the filter and then found, say, some anomaly in their dash display...that would be great to know, too.

Thanks!

**edit** Yes, it is a suppressor, not a filter. It's a choke wrapped around a wire. It filters nada. Call it a high frequency dampener (sic).
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    This OEM heated grip drama has been going on for years. My dealer said the lukewarm grips had been fixed in 2017. So I finally got them and they still sucked. He then switched the controller to that used on the NC series per web feedback but it wasn't any better. You're better off with Oxford.
  3. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    I cannot argue with any of that.

Still, it strikes me as odd that some riders are happy with them. That being the case, notwithstanding the huge range of effect as a result of subjective appraisal, there is maybe some issue that is common to those installations that are not considered up to par. I have read DIY installer comments that eschewed the use of the choke because it was deemed too much trouble or there was a, 'What good could that possibly do?' point of view. Maybe the choke was put on the light blue 'code' and not the white 'code'. The ONE picture I have seen of the choke install had it in the wrong place! I have read of installs that involved not bothering using the accessory 'install' kit and simply tucked the controller next to the frame. Gee...how could THAT possibly be a problem!? ...of course it could. Is that install a source of one of the 'They are crap, don't bother, buy Oxford!' comments?

Another possibility: Maybe the use of Honda Bond A actually matters. That product being no longer available, the substitute used in its place may be part of the perceived SNAFU.

Honda is not a low-rent, johnny-come-lately outfit. How odd that they cannot figure out how to make heated grips work. ...or maybe there are separate issues causing the problem.

What a dealer said? My (the only one around) Honda dealer knew nothing about the centerstand clip problem; could not tell me if a kit had the updated part or not, could not tell me the difference between the parts to be able to know from inspection what part was being sold. Unfortunately, what a dealer says is useless if not backed up with facts.

None of which (items above) has anything to do with the choke install and whether or not it has ever been proven useful or effective.
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm in Japan and the dealer installed them by the book presumably with Honda glue. Agree, it's mind-boggling that they worked so poorly on this bike. I've had other Hondas with OEM heated grips that worked well.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I ordered the heated grip about 6mos ago and mine did not come with a suppressor nor was this part listed as part of the installation instructions. This was the kit for an '18 bike. When you say the suppressor is included, what was the part # for the kit, or at least what year bike are you referring to?
  6. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    The year the part is intended to fit is mine, a '17 as listed in my sig. PNs are:

08T71-MJP-G51 - GRIP HEATER ATT
    This is the accessory/mounting kit that consists of a few zip ties and a bracket to hold the controller/boot.

08T72-MJP-G52 - KIT,GRIP HEATER &
    This is the actual grip heat pair, controller, zips, and the ferrite core.

The parts came with no instructions, but a link to find them. That link did not work. I had already found a set of instructions from another ADV post, that pdf included the install of the choke. The date on that pdf is May 2016, is labeled as 'Publication number MII' (it could be M11) and is said to apply to:

GRIP HEATER
    P/N 08T72-MJP-G50

Yes, I get the numbers (-G50 and -G52) don't match but the publication content matches the parts I got. The part I ordered, the -G52 was verified by -zilla to be for a '17 AT. Also, that G52 PN when googled is listed lots of places that identify that PN to be for the '16-'17 AT.

If you happen to have a pdf link that does NOT include the choke install, I'd appreciate it if you would post its URL. I'm curious of the publication date, pub number and such. see **edit** below

As Twinrider said, the AT grip heat issue has been a round-n-round mess for years.

In any case, your bike being an '18, and the heater kit you ordered NOT including the choke, one could assume something major changed in the '18 wiring harness or with some other considerable change to that year.

A btw...but a similar kerfuffle involves the 12V accessory socket. The PN listed by Honda (#08U70-MJP-G50) USED to apply to a kit that had a fuse loop and a protecting rubber boot for the different pigtail pieces. NOW it is the power socket and a very short pigtail, no fuse, no boot. Order that PN and you have NO idea what you are actually going to get.

I don't know what Honda's problem is keeping up with publications, parts those pubs apply to and even same PNs referring to two completely different parts...but there is a problem somewhere.

**edit**

To cover a different base.........

Here is the pdf URL for the '18 AT:

https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T71-MKK-D00.pdf

It does indeed NOT include any reference to the choke. It is for grip HEATED GRIPS P/N 08T71-MKK-D00, (listed for) After ‘17 CRF1000L/LD, May 2018, Publication No.MII 1665.

It also no longer refers to Honda Bond A (no longer available), but says to use Honda Hand Grip Cement. Installation of the controller shows it tucked next to the frame, NOT installed on a bracket that is screwed to the inside of the LH rear trim piece.

I have no problem with different specs/kits for different years. Problems do arise when THE SAME part numbers apply to different parts.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The controller is attached to the trim piece on my '18.

FWIW, I knew the performance of the OEM heated grips was questionable as some people reported they worked well some people said they were useless. I wanted the clean OEM install along with the heat level displayed on the instruments and I wanted a small diameter grip (unlike Oxfords which work very well but are hard and too large a diameter) and I also considered some people are just prone to whining about things online so I figured some of the people complaining about the grips were probably just being picky. After I installed the grips I can say the heat from the right grip is just adequate and the heat from the left grip is nearly useless. At ambient temperatures above 50F the grips heat enough to be helpful, but once into the low 40's and below I can barely feel any heat coming off the left grip. Installing the left grip onto the bar was a total bitch.
  8. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    To put a bit of a close to this:

I installed my OEM Honda grips. Install was as big a PITA as I figured and had been warned about. End result: Not a single snap or bolt left over, no plastic tab or slot broken, everything back where it should be except for a small interference fit problem where the OEM Honda Accessory Socket (installed at the same time) umbrella 'fits' under the front cover.

Make that two fit issues, as the supplied noise suppressor doesn't fit real well against the top radiator hose on the right hand side. The suppressor is installed exactly where the instructions say it should be, exactly up against the connector cover as noted and at the correct 'o-clock on the harness. I wouldn't want the harness itself that tight to something hard.

The grips heat as well as everyone says they do: Not so hot. A one hour ride in 45-50º temps with summer gloves (Fox DirtPaws) at speeds < 60mph and my hands didn't freeze, but they weren't toasty warm, either. I could feel the heat from the handlebar. It's not like nothing was happening, just not stellar performance. That's OK with me. If I can plan for it, I don't ride often in temps <50º anyway.

The instructions for the grip heat install at best give a general clue as to what needs to be done. A suggestion: Prop up the fuel tank before you start fussing with the stays/connectors. You will need to lift the tank to release the throttle cable for the right side, so might as well get it done. It will make getting to the left side much easier. With the rear tank bolt out (meaning the rear tank cover, the latch assy, the fuse tray all come out, too), the tank easily slips out of its rubber bumpers in the front. There is room enough in the associated hoses and wiring to then sit the front of the tank on TOP of the bumpers, then place a bit of 2x4 under the rear mount tang. Plenty stable, no stress to anything, much more room to work with.

Another suggestion: Disconnect the left rad hose at the top. Bungie/tape/strap it out of your way to make getting to the left side connectors much easier. Instructions don't say to, but it makes getting at the stays/connectors MUCH easier. I lost only a cup or so of coolant. Don't forget to refill before you put the right cover on. Good time to check the overflow rez.

Start to finish was around 15 hours. I've read of riders getting it done in three. I cannot imagine that without a good bit of practice and an intentional effort to speed. I did have a luggage rack to take off/install. Not a huge deal, but it didn't take less time to do that.

I used hair spray for adhesive on the left side. That is what I've used many times in the past, street and dirt, and never had a problem with slippage. Grips on a dirt bike get a good bit more wrenching/twisting/pulling than grips on a bike of this sort. Left grip slipped on easily; no pounding, twisting, puffing or huffing.

Good luck to anyone else doing this. It's the least amount of fun I've had in quite awhile.

**edit** Having had grip heat on a few bikes, I've always considered it normal that the left side being in direct contact with the metal of the bars is not as warm as the more insulated, throttle-sleeved right grip. The Honda grips are different. Near as I can tell (only in a few hours of riding), the left and right grips feel the same.

Not a big deal, but I like 'the same' better'n 'not the same'.