1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Africa Twin headlight low beam failure

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by luv4ironman, Sep 14, 2020.

1. luv4ironman

luv4ironman unemployable

Oddometer:
    Hi All. I noticed today while doing a full service on my 2016 Africa Twin that I have no low beam; only high beam. (right side failed) Checked fuse but all is fine. Checked my service manual that makes no mention on any serviceable parts to replace. The owners manual only mentions to call your dealer. Called my local Honda dealer and he is thinking it is a complete headlight unit ($2k in Canada). There is no way Honda engineered it this way... (hopefully). Is there no replaceable bulbs? I am sure someone has come across this issue. Thanks in Advance! Darryl
  2. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only 1/2 are supposed to come on with low beams.
  3. luv4ironman

luv4ironman unemployable

Oddometer:
    Yes; understand. I do not have anything on the right side. High beam on the left works no problem.
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw that too while searching for changing my lights to both dual hi/lo beam lights. No, there isn't any replaceable 'LED Bulb". If/when mine burns out, I'll be modifying the light housing to accept a LED light 'bulb'. Sure as hell not spending $1800 on a headlight.
    twinrider likes this.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Check the thread/post where one owner (forgot his name but he also has the CRF-L 500) modded his stock headlight so he'd have both lights working on high / low beam. He replaced the original bulbs with aftermarkets.
  6. luv4ironman

luv4ironman unemployable

Oddometer:
    I'm with you there. I am hoping some
    Problem is I don't believe there are original bulbs to replace.
  7. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I have never quit riding, but all my bikes since the mid-80's have been pure off road and dual sport bikes...simple, inexpensive, easy to fix. I was shocked when I started looking to buy a real street bike this year because I always look at replacement parts. The biggest shocker was these cool, high tech light systems on many/most of the late model bikes.

For one, most of them don't have replacement parts...bulbs, etc. The whole headlight unit has to be replaced. One of the cheaper units was for the Yamaha FZ-09 at about $850. Many go up to nearly $2000. Think about that for a minute...nearly $2000 for a headlight. That's in exotic supercar territory for parts pricing.

I still do a little part time work at my local motorcycle shop, and one of the shop owners said it's one of the reasons some informed owners buy the extended warranty. I have never been an extended warranty guy. I always fix, repair, and service my vehicles and have never experienced parts prices like this. Even if you can fix/replace your headlight on your bike that is 3 months out of warranty, a $1000 headlight assembly is ridiculous...and painful. And if you can, check out the prices of many of the other components on our modern motorcycles.

On the headlight specifically, maybe someone has or will develop a way to repair/service these high tech, LED headlights without tossing them in the trash. As for me, I purchased a new-in-stock 2017 Kawasaki Z650 without ABS that has a conventional headlight bulb. I might even splurge and get one of these more modern headlight bulbs for it...LOL! Yeah, my bike still has an ECU and some other nice technology not available on my last 80's street bike, and I'm more than willing to live with that. But $1000+ headlights are not on my short list.
    fastring likes this.
  8. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    He didn't use the OEM bulbs. He modded the headlight unit to take aftermarket bulbs. Check the link above.