Africa Twin owners thread!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Sand Goanna, Feb 1, 2016.

1. O Trader

O Trader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have any of you AT guys run one end to end across the Simpson unsupported . .
    If so, what was the fuel / water requirement for the crossing ?
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mick...to the bat phone :-)
  3. Reduke

Reduke Red Rider

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="O Trader, post: 37812121, member: 148165"]Have any of you AT guys run one end to end across the Simpson unsupported . .
    If so, what was the fuel / water requirement for the crossing ?[/QUOTE]
    CD5E4849-53D5-4ECD-8129-72EB131DBA5D.jpeg Did it August last year. Started at Mt Dare, through Dalhousie to Purni Bore then turned down Rig Rd all the way to K1. Then went south down the Warburton track and ended up at Mungerannie.
    Was 710km and used 53L fuel. Was fairly easy going 90% of the way and just rolled up and down the dunes in 2nd & 3rd gear.
    Slept 1 night out there & did it in 2 days . I carried 15L water & used about 12L.
    97707, Muddler, stumps and 8 others like this.
  4. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    Well, ive been missing for 2 years, not that anyone noticed, :-) or wld expect it. about me, well riding for 30 years, race a gsxr1000 and a TL1000R and still doing it. A few years ago, went into adventure riding , bought a Xt660R did flinders and around vic, sold it, got out of it, then last Dec 17, purchased a Xt660Z, went on a trip for weekend, got absolutely soaked, lost, cold, you name it, group or about 20, and got divided up, fog, so about 8 of us were lost. Got home, within a day, bike was for sale had enough and went back to racing.....so now the missus says, it would be go for a ride together she hates my sports bikes, So I hatched a plan....I thought ill do both, a good adventure bike that can do two up and on own, so for the last 3 weeks as boring as I am , I have read near on the 1170 pages on the Africa twin on forum to know more about it, and now just finished the aussie thread of 176 pages...found some info out, highlighted some mods, and add ons etc...read the old arguments that are repetitive, you know, ktm are better, DCT is better, no its not, this is better, etc...I see that sort of stuff has never changed :rofl. So decided to go down the twin adventure, found one, second hand , 2600KLMS, all stock, says he cant ride it..$16200. Send him a hi , interested, he does reply, and then chucks the price now up to $17300....near new ones are going for that...so ill keep looking....I didn't want to buy new and then put all the farkles on...so was looking second hand, very low klms..and some mods on.....anyway...ill keep looking....bored up here in Townsville for work...so tht id post a little description....
    Johns-Bikes likes this.
  5. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you can do much better than $16k. I've seen them for sale for $12k-$14k fairly well setup with relatively low km's.
    You may have to shop a bit further away from home though?
    Cruz likes this.
  6. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Nah...I don't see the point unless you get injured or have an existing injury.
    Just unnecessary extra complication in my view.
    @XR4play has a very tidy one for sale with low kms for @ $12000. Suspension done, bashplate, muffler etc
  7. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    I have been doing searches etc , but this was for the adventure series, as prob do a bit more two up, plus bigger tank, and height and suspension...but cant get those for that price. There are the earlier models for between 12-15 K for sure...however should have said was going to go down the path of the adventure series after viewing that...but still reading up on it so time will tell which was will go...thanks

There is a guy about 10 klms from my house as the new adventure series, done 1013 klms and put pegs on it, wont budge and wants more than what dealers are selling for...long time sale for him I'm sure...wants $20500 and rego exp october
  8. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    I think you mean the Adventure "Sports"

Yes they are later model, bigger tank, better suspension and some other niceties for sure.

I wouldn't trade up for one myself as the earlier models have everything you need except for fork wear which may only be a real problem once you get into the high k bracket, say 80,000 to 100,000km.

For most by then, alternatives or later models wrecking may be available. I've certainly stopped worrying about it. As long as they are not leaking, they do everything they are supposed to do.
  9. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    yer sorry, sports.....that's what was one of the things that I saw and liked...the forks and spokes, small things......and I do hate stopping for petrol....so the least I can do the better.....well that is a thought ....if I said to you now thou...and u never had one a twin......and only speaking on these bikes...which africa twin wld u get ? and if I had one when first came out, I wouldn't trade up either....
  10. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    I would get the new one.:D

But having said that, I would probably have balked at the price and stuck with the Transalp.

The Africa Twin when it first came out was very competitively priced for what you got in terms of centrestand, bashplate, hydraulically adjusted rear shock and fully adjustable suspension, adjustable seat height, ABS and traction control on the fly. It was definitely fantastic value :clap
    gperkins and Moyston like this.
  11. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a new manual standard 2018 AT this year for $15,500 on road, 6mths rego. Love it. I was then lucky enough to pick up a B&B bashplate and outback Mototek crash bars for $200 ea off Gumtree. Shop around, you will find a good deal. Yes, more range would be good, but I reckon I’ll get a Nomad tank if it becomes an issue.
  12. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    but the nomad would be a bit diff if a pillion......so yes have opened up to look a few more places.....
    yer I looked at auxillary tanks
  13. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    A rotopax on each side would be pillion friendly and cost effective?
    Moyston likes this.
  14. Johns-Bikes

Johns-Bikes Farkling the ATAS... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like you I’ve been looking for a while and trying to decide how much coin to spend on a 2nd bike in the shed. Paid a deposit on 2nd hand AT sports today, only 2500kms and genuine Honda panniers that will do for some lighter touring duties. Had found a new 2016 ABS leftover for $15,500 on road in NSW but hesitated as I really preferred the white and it was red, plus the few issues you listed bothered me a little too. Watched the 2nd hand Sports drop in price so pulled the pin and rang him today and did a deal on it, pick up later this week.

It may replace my road bike later on, a 1200s Multistrada but not for now it’s waaaayy too much fun on road trips, but after dozen trips to the GP on police infested roads it’s time for something different. The AT should serve us well enough two up, maybe the pillion in a million can offer you and yours some feed back..

Good luck with the hunt, it’s all part of the fun I reckon!

Cheers John.
  15. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    in Townsville at moment driving in between daily jobs I do, they have a honda dealer...called in today and tested AT Sports...black and silver...not bad...big fookers they are and I'm 6ft3 105 kegs.......yes john, fun is in the hunt!
  16. ozimick

ozimick destination unknown

Oddometer:
    I did Birdsville - Mt Dare Via the French for 38 litres for about 530klm and then back via the Madigan which off memory was around 700 klm for 48 litres . I carried around 8 ltrs water
    [​IMG]
    Johns-Bikes, Kiwirich, nealo and 4 others like this.
  17. zoro

zoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the Outback Motortek upper crash bars work with the B&B safari bash plate?
  18. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Africa-twin-tank-M6_12.jpg

I haven't checked in here for a little while.

Today by chance I stumbled upon this rear tank from Nomad Tanks.

Looks ok to me.
    Big Willy and Muddler like this.
  19. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Africa-twin-tank-M1_12.jpg
    OzCr0w, BygDaddee and Big Willy like this.
  20. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Thats a fantastic solution for someone who does occassional big trips