1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Africa Twin owners thread!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Sand Goanna, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Hill Billy

Hill Billy Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Johns-Bikes likes this.
  2. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Whens the 1100 Due out here ?
  3. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told pre orders will start to be filled in March
  4. The Cougar

The Cougar Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Picking up a 2019 ATAS next week and to retire my faithful DR. First big trip planned is up Birdsville Track, across the Plenty Highway to ALice then Darwin on bitumen with some dirt side trips and then back down south.

Keen to hear experiences in relation to tyre selection for the AT having read some reports/opinions re Motoz Tractionator/GPS, Pirelli, Shinko and GT,

Normally ran full knobblys on the DR and will carry about 60kg of camping gear etc,

Apologies if this has already been discussed but any advice readily received.

cheers.
  5. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the front.

Motoz Adventure (Summer compound) on the rear.

Basically full knobbies that work and wear well on the road.

P.S. that's a ride I've got planned.... when I get time.
    ozimick and pirate37 like this.
  6. zoro

zoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sean, what is this "summer compound" you speak of?
    I googled but couldn't see anything specifically mentioning that compound.
  7. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    When they first came out they had 2 compounds... normal and summer. The normal one wore quicker in out conditions.

My tyre has "Summer" stamped on it.

Maybe they're all the same now..?

I will be contacting the distributor before I buy my next one to confirm what compound they are.
    Johns-Bikes likes this.
  8. pirate37

pirate37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Motoz tractionator adventure is excellent on the rear, very tough tyre....reflected in its weight, can't really recommend the front
  9. ozimick

ozimick destination unknown

Oddometer:
    What Sean said,
    Motoz Adventure rear , Scorpian Rally front.
  10. Gnarcosis

Gnarcosis The Chronicles of Gnar-nia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Piggybacking on The Cougar’s question.

I had the Karoo 3 for a front and the Mitas E07+ Scoped out for my 18 ATAS. I’ll look at what you guys are mentioning though.

I also keep reading about the factory suspension being inadequate. But I’ve also seen it’s not as bad if you’re in the 170 pound range. I’m 175 in my skivvies, will likely load the bike down with shit at some point, but also don’t get too wild off-road.

Whats the general upgrade path people are taking?I see the touratech spring kit, but then I’m reading that the shocks should be revalved. Looks like you could spend anywhere from 300-10,000 for varied degrees of improvement.

I’m far from a pro, don’t need the absolute most dialed setup known to man, but I’d also like to get the best performance out of my new bike. What say you, oh wise men?
  11. pirate37

pirate37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be more concerned about my age than my weight if I were still using pounds. Just jokes, but seriously the stock suspension is inadequate in all but the most leisurely jaunts...a local guru reckoned the wear in my tubes was such that a Kashima coating wouldn't help me, a few months and a few hundred bucks after revalving front and rear. I have the '16 model though and it seems to have improved since, which isn't saying much. All I can say is I love my Ohlins forks and shock and it's now my forever bike
  12. Gnarcosis

Gnarcosis The Chronicles of Gnar-nia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Though I was born in 1845, I still maintain a healthy weight. Genetics really..

From what I’ve read, the AS bikes aren’t having the same stiction issues with the forks. But it may also be too early to conclusively say
    pirate37 likes this.
  13. Datan556

Datan556 2stroke a day keeps the doctor away

Oddometer:
    Morning all,

Got a 2016 AT. Want to clean out spark arrestors, muffler is sealed. Anyone cut into it? Can weld and cut with sausage fingers.

If you have, could you tell me what to look out for before I ham fist it.
  14. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Only US models have a spark arrester so you dont have any, this is what yours looks like. Stock exhaust.jpg
  15. Datan556

Oddometer:
    Yes it's that one. I went and cut the thing open. Found that, thanks for pic! Makes more sense overall now.
  16. Datan556

Oddometer:
    I've cut those out in picture. The engine brake is way less, no sound difference which is good. Didn't want a loud bastard. Just the brutal engine brake that nose dive when letting go of throttle.
    I fabricated a plate that goes over it and can be opened again. Sealed and now finally to my liking sketch-1596934747519.jpg
  17. jmsk

jmsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Evening ... have had the hard to start issues lately

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=M2ppZW1sQlRUUlBtZmlXSF9pWlJsOERUQjVUc3Rn

Not mine but a good example (used to rev mine a bit more to start it)

So working off a post from a2ronm https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-crf1000l-africa-twin-problem-thread.1131281/page-265#post-38162526

And working from his and others posts on the internets I came up with the following

The switch assy is a bastard to work on and there is a ball bearing and springs that can fly off in any direction ... but if you can find them and reassemble them then it'll work for an indeterminate time

If others have similar issues I am happy to help ... need a beer now !

18. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently had the same issue, and it ended up being the idle air control sensor/ valve. Replaced under warranty and it starts fine now, but still having a small issue of some surging at 3K RPM's especially under deceleration, so back to the stealership on Thursday. 2017 with 22K miles, no problems at all until this issue.
  19. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    The switch assemble is very easy to work on dont need to take the actual switch apart. Two screws to undo assembly off bars, two screws to undo switch from assembly. Take off one spring that will try and do a runner. Spray lots of braklean through the switch while operating it back and forth to clean it. Spray something like CRC 226 a dielectric spray into the contacts while operating switch back and forth. Reassemble job done 15 mins max.
  20. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

Righto ..

I know this one , I had same issues ....

Bout a yr ago .

Dealer gave me a new upgraded switch to fit .

But found this advice on Internet same day .

I was allways using key to shut down moto .

Advised to start using kill switch . Voila !!

Problem solved basically imeadiatly

Consistent use rectifys some residual shorting in switch apparently .

Upgraded switch / harness dealer gave me is resting in parts box.

I shit you not !
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.