Africa Twin Premature Front Fork Failure (Current Owners and Prospective New owners Must Read)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by bumbee800, Sep 1, 2017.

1. advadd

advadd n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback. Happy riding.
    Pcfly likes this.
  2. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have several people in our group with 2018 ATAS and zero issues so far.
    Pcfly likes this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    anyone?

:wave
  4. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    New 1100cc ATs of 2020 DO NOT have the same suspension travel as previous years, they have the same suspension travel as the ATAS in 2020. 2020 ATs have the silver forks that sort of confirms the fix was the thicker fork tubes (to stop fork flex) thats now on all 2020 bikes but was only on the ATAS in previous models.
    So from that we could say the 2020 AT is least likely to have fork issues because its up to 24kg lighter than the other models but has the new thicker fork tubes. Colour of the fork tubes does not look to be an indicator of coating type.
    This would confirm the fix for early bikes was to go for the thicker fork tubes from an 18-19 ATAS or any 2020 bike.
    NSFW and merc16 like this.
  5. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I hate to say I told you so :lol3 Even a blind squirrel... right? :-)
    SkipD and gve.mcmlxxiv like this.
  6. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Is a blind squirrel the same as blind Freddy in other languages, if so you have every right to say I told you so. I have to say it still seams like a very quick update cycle on the AT to fix issues, if you go back to the early wish list of items (plus the problems list, switchgear, right side peg mount breakages etc) on the 2016 there are not many items that Honda have not resolved in two 2 year bike updates (and how many bikes get a big update every 2 years). They may have introduced a new one with that gas tank clogging the filters problem. I can think of many models of bikes that one never get an update and two never get a fix to know issues that carry on for the life of the model.
    Amphib, fastring and NC Rick like this.
  7. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    686FDD19-73CE-4865-B0E2-E1DA67A9E545.png
  8. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True! Especially for a Japanese manufacturer, lots of bikes with no updates for decades. 2 updates in 4 years is unusual.
  9. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you look at my fork when it was there? Did you see wear in it? I'm no expert, but I didn't see anything obvious when I looked in my tubes. 6800 miles.
  10. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride a "standard" 2017 AT and currently have about 4,000 miles on the bike, and haven't noticed any stiction issues with the fork so far. Please forgive my possible ignorance in this issue but I have a question.
    "This would confirm the fix for early bikes was to go for the thicker fork tubes from an 18-19 ATAS or any 2020 bike." If this is true and the fix is to install the "thicker" tubes from a ATAS or any 2020 model, how would the "thicker" tubes be compatible with my original triple clamps and lower fork tubes? It seem that the "thicker" tubes would either have to have a larger external diameter and not fit my original triple clamps or the "thicker" tubes would have a smaller internal diameter and not fit my original lower fork tubes. What am I missing??? My best guess is that the external diameter is just slightly larger, but will still work with my original 2017 triple clamps with a bit of "tweaking"...
    Where_AM_I? likes this.
  11. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    ATAS upper tubes swap right in and will work with your triple clamps and lower tubes. The ATAS upper tubes are only thicker at the lower end where the seal is installed and up a bit. Picture for reference.
    47690634-1BAC-4B09-B930-361347163D3B.jpeg
  12. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Do you really want to know? :lol3 You had put the seals in so it wasn't a proper inspection. I did kinda peek...
  13. William Wolfen

Oddometer:
    Yes, I do want to know. I'm not going to freak out if they're wearing. I expect it. I'm not exactly easy on the suspension, but I'm far from the hardest.

The forks are performing well, not having striction, and I don't intend to do anything now. If they are wearing, I may well budget for some ATAS tubes sometime in the future.

This bike is staying with me long term and I intend to take care of it. $800 for proper fork tubes is cheap insurance if it's needed.
  14. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    You can guarantee that there is wear and they will wear further. You don't always get stiction though.
    Regular service is a must if you are going to keep using them.
    Or you can bite the bullet now and buy the later outers.
    I'm still using the 2016 originals until they give me real grief. I've changed the fork seals once using OEM and they haven't leaked for over 20,000km now (bike's done 35,000km)
  15. William Wolfen

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I imagine there is. I'd just like to hear the assessment of my suspension guy since he actually looked at it. Servicing will certainly happen. I put in kawasaki seals when I upgraded the springs. I've also ordered long seal savers to keep the inner tubes cleaner. The short ones haven't seen to have done the job.
  16. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Any fork tubes on this big bruiser is a long lived consumable part. Greg said he was getting internal wear even in the Ohlins. Luckily they are ‘easy’to do. I am extra tough on mine in the Ozarks, If I replace every 3 years i will be happy enough.
  17. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming people are comparing them to KTM forks and rightfully so.

I don't read of too many KTM owners complaining of fork wear.

It may have been a mistake on Honda's part to choose 45mm stanchions in the first place
    gve.mcmlxxiv and Where_AM_I? like this.
  18. Where_AM_I?

Where_AM_I? n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now I am at a crossroads. I just got wind that Öhlins may actually deliver the forks they’ve been promising for 18 months. I was all geared up to buy new uppers and install HyperPro springs. 2800 clams for plug n play or new uppers, springs seals bushings labor headaches and stock calving which, when priced out, may end up costing me $1200 anyway. The bike turned 50k miles (80,000km) and I need something soon. Pretty sure I can’t rotate the upper tubes too many more times.
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM fork seals are light so they can leak if junk gets crammed in them.
    But wear? Nope. 100k miles may get through the hard chrome, but they are still serviceable. There is a recommended maintenance every 20-30k miles that few people do outside of racers. This usually gets done only when the seals leak.
    Really helps that KTM owns WP and gets the good stuff.
  20. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Or $2800 towards a newer model with the good forks ?