Africa Twin Premature Front Fork Failure (Current Owners and Prospective New owners Must Read)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by bumbee800, Sep 1, 2017.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call Cogent Dynamics. They'll sort things out for your forks (and shock). I'd pass on the Ohlins. Too expensive and still have the wear issue. My forks are performing great and all I did was change to .72 springs! I'm sure you could get more/better performance from them if you did more. I was on a budget and spent most of my money on the shock upgrade.
    Where_AM_I? likes this.
  2. Where_AM_I?

Where_AM_I? n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, the other fork in the road! Just sell this one and upgrade. Lots of new gadgets on the 2020 but I also read that model has character quirks too. I dunno.
  3. Where_AM_I?

Where_AM_I? n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cogent set me up and rebuilt my forks once. Seals went 15,000 miles later and I still have issues but it’s not terrible. I think I have 0.72 springs too. I’ve lost some weight and have the preload turned way down to zero. I’m at 200 pounds.
  4. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Ditch the ohs, and with that money customize the front forks like you were planning AND send the rear shock to a pro tuner for respring and revalve. Still save close to a grand. I was worried about the forks but honestly having a tuner rework the rear shock did more.
    William Wolfen likes this.
  5. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the preload all the way out on mine too, and I'm 250 lbs. It measured 60mm sag out of 230mm travel. Well within acceptable. If you're not getting proper sag, you could try mixing springs. 1 .72 and one stock. I'm not sure I'd do it, but I've heard of a couple others having good luck that way.

I know I had more concerns about the shock than the forks. So far, I'd say springs alone have done very well for the forks, but the shock upgrades are a massive improvement. I haven't gotten it dialed in yet, but I'm hoping to after tomorrow. I was finally able to set acceptable sag and now I'm just trying to get proper compliance out of the damping. Should be excellent once I'm done fiddling. Best money I've spent on the bike.
  6. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Forks four clicks out from hard stop comp. 40% out of one turn out on rebound