1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Africa Twin Premature Front Fork Failure (Current Owners and Prospective New owners Must Read)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by bumbee800, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Jeff, you are committed. A 250sx on single track? 19 inch rear, or did you swap to 18" let me guess? no starter for extra points :D
    We ride with a few guys that have modified yz250x. When we get into the proper hard crap...the lack of starter simply kills a guy.
    [​IMG]
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike is heavily modified,300 top end, suspension is fully kitted for hard Enduro use.Did not get around to a 18" yet but running a 525 cheater on back with tubless and it hooks up awesome on rocks.it has the pricy torq drive rekluse in it so it doesn't stall.I put the sx250 decal on the swingarm so people don't call me old lol.It had the clutch it when I bought it and I hated it.I readjusted it and now it is actually real sweet.
  3. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Nicely done.
    Tubliss + gummy tire = magic. We typically run 4 psi around here. Going from tubliss to winter studded tires sucks. Like riding on wooden wheels.
    You're 100% right on rekluse..if not set right it sucks, and will cook itself.
    I'm not personally a fan, but if it came with it, why not. Alternately, put the oem clutch back in and sell it for big $$.

Age is just a number.
    I rode with the retired group on Thursday. Three guys over sixty. Not one complaint, and went everywhere I went.

Did you check the squish on that bad boy? My last KTM had massive squish. Lobbed off some off the head, made a huge difference. The beta had massive slop too. I put on a .8mm base gasket, and lobbed off 1mm, which is a lot. But now, I can put in a lower base gasket and get that squish even better if I so desire. Moar here, down at the bottom of the post: https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2...hecks-and-issues-90-hr-105-hr-220-hr-updates/

or
    For those of you wondering about stock squish on the Beta’s..
    it’s piss poor. Actually any bike is. Great post here.

I had vg experience shaving my 2014 xc300 head. It’s dirt cheap, and will give you better fuel economy, more snap off the bottom, and less splooge. Ideal squish is 1.1-1.5mm.

With a paper thin .2mm gasket I was able to get it to 1.6-1.7mm squish. But got the creeps running such a thin gasket. Had nothing laying around thinner than .8mm. That bumped squish to 2.22mm.
    A friend of mine lobbed 1mm off the head. Even with the fatty base gasket the squish is a vg 1.35-1.45mm (outside to inside of piston). Should be able to fine tune it with a .6mm, or .5mm gasket in 100hrs time.
    Compression went up by 10 points to 157PSI, which is pretty much bang on theoretical compression using stock numbers 11.9:1.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shaved head, fastway link,fatty front goldyntire.Bike is freeking awesome to ride but enough of this as it is a AT suspension thread lol.
  5. Anjin455

Anjin455 Riding on the company dime

Oddometer:
    There did seem to be more flex in the old ones, I installed new 2018 ATAS forks and they feel considerably more stable. Cant say for sure though, may be a cognitive bias. I did however have such major issues with my old 2016 forks that they became hardly usable on low speed technical stuff.
    MillennialFalcon and Junglejeff1 like this.