Africa Twin Ride - expressions of interest 27th and 28th February

Discussion in 'Australia' started by KASUYAHO, Nov 10, 2015.

1. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    who said it wasnt a latte kinda bike :amazon

so is there any R/R instead of the parade of pics of the bike :dunno:dunno
    dirtsurfer likes this.
  2. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    Those Federation pies would be stale
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  3. dunc

Oddometer:
  4. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Just going back over this thread. I find it rather amusing that quite a lot of people pulled out and missed the ride.

You really should be kicking yourselves right now.

Tell me a dealer that will allow you to take a brand new bike on dirt roads for two days overnight, fit knobby tyres, with no pressure of buying and not hover around you with a hi viz vest making sure you don't stack it.

Big thanks to Toowoomba Honda on this (Justin, Steve, Dave) especially glen for organising it. I was also a little disappointed on some pulling out half way through the ride etc.

My first little ride with Team moto on the DCT version around the block made me more curious. A ride around the block on the DCT version (even the others for that matter) DOES NOT do the bike the justice it deserves.

DCT is (Dual Clutch Transmission) It was brought out in 2009 in bikes by honda. So has been around for a while now.

It allows for seamless disengage & engage of the transmission. No torque converters, No viscous coupling, Just two clutches.

My experience during the two day ride of over 800kms with mostly dirt was positive to say the least.

The bike felt very stable at high and low speed on the dirt with road biased tyres. I couldn't really notice much difference between the stability of the bike with either the HP5 / Pirelli Scorpion tyres or the road Dunlop tyres. Except in deep sand and soft rocky road works just laid down. Even then knocking back the speed by 10K was enough to make me comfortable when on the road tyres.

I got a pinched flat actually on Paddy's flat road. I had to look very hard at the tube to find the small tear. The tube was pretty thin. Thanks again to Glen for tear arsing around getting another tube from Paul (Mcadoo) thanks mate will flick you a tube soon.

Rocky River road held up its name. I have ridden many different bikes through there. But after riding the DCT AT through there I was not fatigued and had a blast.

The Traction control on setting one allowed you to steer the bike with the rear with a lot of wheel spin. If you got on the gas too much it would come on making the bike sputter a bit. Not a bad thing, but it really made me think, hang on a minute doofus, pull you head in here or you will be binning it in the table drain real quick.

The most conservative traction control setting is just that, any wheel spin and the bike splutters complaining. It doesnt cut the engine just makes it miss and of course reduce power and torque to the rear wheel.

I found by putting the DCT into sport 3 mode it downshifted a little to quick on the dirt causing rear wheel lockup with the road tyres. It really is a spirited downshift after applying some brakes. The transmission reacts on the brakes and how much is applied.

In G mode normal auto and four really rough hair pin dirt corners I found the bike wanting to go into second gear up hill which was too fast for the steep hill and corner. I just tapped it back to first. There is a big gap on downshifting from second to first, Still smooth none the less. This happened a few times the fourth time I changed from auto mode to manual mode on the fly and did my own shifting for the snotty stuff.

The smoothness of the Dual clutch (one clutch operates odd gears, the other even gears) allows for little to no wheel spin and feeling of out of control. Down hill gave plenty of engine breaking just like a normal bike.

The Honda tool kit is minimal to say the least. Ie no tools to remove the wheel. The low setting on the seat is too low (for me). very comfortable, a lambs wool would be my only addition for 500kms plus days.

The LED lights at night and day are faultless. I doubt I would be bothered fitting driving lights as I have done on my KTM 950SE.

I was unsure on buying one, I think dealers are going to do well with price and get these bikes out there. Just like my old AT it gets a hell of a lot of looks. After the longer test ride I will be buying the DCT model.

Riding home on my old AT from toowoomba to brisbane, the bikes in comparison felt similar in riding position & stability. Would I be selling my old AT, Super Enduro or Husabergs any time soon..... Nope.
    washryc, badmanners, MrKiwi and 8 others like this.
  5. dunc

Oddometer:
    thanks for the write up on your thoughts on the bike
    informative
    Hodgo likes this.
  6. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    ABS,

My impression of the ABS is it is pretty darn good, well set up.

I could "lock up" the front in dirt, well not so much a lock up as the wheel still rotates and i never felt
    that hammering back through the lever.
    This is with ABS on or off.
    Seeing the front keeps rotating it makes the front more predictable i felt.
    The rear off road with ABS on as soon i touch the brake pedal the ABS would start working,
    and the back would chatter and feel hammer back through the brake pedal.
    So off road i would turn off the ABS, which has to be done at a stand still.
    This bike has very powerful brakes, one finger operation.
    On road i would turn the ABS on as it just makes it a bit easier to ride
    ,after the long day and your a bit fatigued.

That is one thing i was thinking riding home after the weekend,
    hhmm, that DCT now would be good to be riding, put it in auto mode and cruise home.
    Big Willy and MymoJoe like this.
  7. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Yes I rolled in there Friday arvo with two brake pads missing & a missing retainer pin for one front caliper on my old RD07 AT. Dave got some tools found a pin that fitted better than the oem. Fitted the pin and pads himself while I watched on with no fuss. #50 fat boys later she's back on the road again.

sent from the bowls of my brain
    shank likes this.
  8. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent mate
  9. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so much the exhaust note Big Willy, but the noise of the engine when it starts to rev high,
    or is it induction noise.
    warnabrother likes this.
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    No more reports / reviews from this ride?
  11. dunc

Oddometer:
    was one that was good to read then

That was it its over
  12. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Any specifics you would like to know

sent from the bowls of my brain
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not particularly - just seems a bit of a shame - great opportunity for some comment about the bike - real-world impressions from a range of riders - maybe feeding off discussions you've had amongst yourselves during the ride
  14. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is a shame Hoots.
  15. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    Plenty of discussion. ....with the relevent ppl

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  16. gkNQ

gkNQ Northern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sean-O, are you saying that the majority of inmates who could not get to the ride or have not been involved in discussions with you are not relevant? Hopefully a joke and not arrogance.
    Take out the marketing and emotion, the AT appears to be a very good bike for the 1000cc + adventure market and I was looking forward to reading the thoughts and discussions on the day from a cross section of riders. I am sure that Toowoomba Honda who went to great lengths to put on the ride would have appreciated the discussion in the ADV environment.
  17. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    Yes sorry mate taking the piss ....i dont get into ride reports ....i try for myself ....but im a honda fanboy sp even if it was shit i would get 1 and say its good .....lucky i was wrong

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Newstrom48 and DRjoe like this.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree - this was a great opportunity - 17 pages of lead up and bugger-all outcome

Were most people disappointed with the bikes then?

Is that the problem?
  19. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    If we told you what we talked about in regards to how the bike was you would not believe us or think we are paid by Honda or bias or Honda fanboys.
    We even talked about what i just said above.
    Sean-0 likes this.
  20. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you get a chance to find any sand or deep loose gravel?
    Intrested to hear how the dct goes in that kind of soft terain.
    Would the computer handle it or would it be a case of switching to manual?
    I imagen the smooth transition between gears would be a real benefit in deep soft sand especially when pulling off and going from first to second.