Africa Twin tire experiences

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by gve.mcmlxxiv, Jul 13, 2019.

1. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    starting this thread to get a consolidated to place to talk about how different tires do on the AT. I'm getting to end of life on a Mitas E07+ on the rear and a Karoo 3 on the front, i'm interested in hearing about experiences on other types of tires.. the karoo 3 is noisy but handles well. my typical ride is 5 hours with a hour on interstate and hour on winding two lanes and three or four hours on dirt, including some rough rocky dirt. i like the long haul high speed road stability and rock durability and gravel handling of the e07+ and will probably go back with that. I'm not so sure about the karoo 3 on the front. In strong leans I do feel a little slippage on the rear though and the E07+ is not a great two lane twisty tire. I'm interested in what people with e07 on the front have experienced. I've got a 2016 DCT. I air down to 20psi front 25psi rear on the dirt and it makes the bike great to handle.
    swimmer and Amphib like this.
  2. Flying Marmot

Flying Marmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TKC 70,s 5/10 Squirrelly rear over 65mph regardless of suspension set up. Supposed to be a special wet weather compound but I low sided on these while relatively upright at 40 mph. Cannot recommend them especially at 4K life and scalloped.
    Shinko 705’s 8/10. Great allround grip and road / gravel tire. Slippery in off-road situation though so careful progress needed.
    I ride 80% road 20% gnarly gravelly backroads with potholes and sand.
    250 lbs w gear. Moderately aggressive rider. California. 2016 DCT too.
    97707, gve.mcmlxxiv and merc16 like this.
  3. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shinko 704/705:

Fine on dry pavement, but do notice rear ABS kicks in early when braking. In the wet the rear ABS kicks in nearly instantly when braking, and sometimes the TC kicks on accell. Has not slipped laterally yet (in wet or dry).
    Otherwise a quiet and competent set of tires for road work.
    Decent in gravel at least the first 1/2 part of the lifespan.
    Seem to wearing pretty good, expect > 8k a set.
  4. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Original tyres (Dunlop D610), replaced at 5700 miles. Still 3mm left but I never run Tyres down to the wear markers and after a pain in the ass puncture on the rear I had the Tyres and tubes replaced.
    Got Continental Trail Attack 3, pretty much a road tyre but that suits me fine.
    Done 100 miles on them so far and they are awesome!
    Smooth rolling, stable, quiet, fantastic feedback and grip. Great in the wet too.
    I'm sure they won't last that long but I don't mind as they really are a superb on road tyre. I think they'd be crap off road too but if you ride the gravel and mud you'll not be looking at these.
    Fitted at FWR Tyres in Kennington, London for £265: Tyres & new inner tubes, ride in, ride out.
    Well impressed!
  5. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    You can't really go wrong with an E07 front/rear. I have an E07+ on the shelf, will go on after my motoz wear out. That said, my only gripe with the E07 is that I have to change f/r as a set. The front starts cupping around the 8 or 9 k km mark. The other shitty thing is, compared to a motoz tractionator, it's got sweet tweet for oem tread. If memory serves, 4 or 5mm less than the motoz.

I'm getting a 2nd abs ring, and will install it on my right side disk, and swap the direction of rotation every 4k or so, to avoid the motoz getting feathered. The hope is to run the motoz front to two sets of rear tires (take your pick, I can't get more than 9k out of a rear tire. Kilometers!)
    gve.mcmlxxiv likes this.
  6. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    I’m contemplating a TKC 80 or a e07 for the front to replace the outgoing Karoo 3. E07+ stays on rear.
  7. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I never mixed the E07 with a TKC 80 front. I did try an E09 rear and a TKC 80.
    Again, can't go wrong with E07 regular/dakar or plus, mix and match
    DSM8 likes this.
  8. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have run that combo EO7/TKC80 on my KTM 690 Enduro. I imagine it would be just fine on the AT/ATAS as well.
  9. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TKC80 front and E07 non dakar on the rear.

This combo works good on dry pavement and gravel forest service roads 10K Kms so far and the rear will probably go another 5K I changed the front as it was cupping and made the pavement handling feel a little weird I could have switched the rotation and got more life but the fronts are relatively cheap so I replaced it. I'm kinda bummed Mitas changed the E07 as I found it a good mixed use tire not sure what I'll try next, E07+, Motoz GPS, Shinko E805 or something else .
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  10. jamesmc

jamesmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the OEM tyres off and fitted Mitas E-07's Dakar, front and rear. I've only put about 2000km on the tyres and am very happy with them on made up roads and unmade (logging) roads. They seem to be wearing well. I fit & balance my own tyres and I'll be fitting the same next time around.
  11. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really liked the Motoz GPS on the AT. I switched away from them to give the Karoo 3 a try (which I also like), but I will probably run the Motoz GPS again once the Karoo are worn.
  12. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the Motoz Adventure Tractionator on the rear!!! Easily get 8K+ miles of mixed riding. Excellent traction in sand, mud, dirt, snow, and pretty darn good on the pavement.

Initially tried the matching Motoz Adventure Tractionator (original version) on the front. I liked it, but it melted like butter. Lasted less than 3K miles of mixed riding before it was totally roasted.

I then tried a Shinko 804 on the front. It was fine on the pavement, but definitely had way too little grip off road. I took it off in just a few hundred miles.

Next, I tried the IRC TR8 on the front......AWESOME!!!! Hooks up really well in the sand/mud/dirt, and still has very respectable handling on the pavement. Has nice chunky knobs and a pretty deep tread pattern. Will probably get at least 5K miles out of it....for right around $50!

I have run the TR8's on my KTM 640 Adventure for years.

So...my current setup is a Motoz Adventure Tractionator in the rear and the IRC TR8 in the front.

I always base my tire setup on more dirt oriented performance.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  13. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had tubless K60 Heidenau Scouts front and rear on 16 manual with the rims sealed with the Outex kit. I used them on me S10 also. Long wearing, good traction even on tarmac, but they sing a little on the highway. Never had them step out either, end due to the dual compound rubber being softer on the sides. Expensive, but worth it. Everyone says they don't work well in the wet, but what does? Racer
  14. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    Keep us updated on the 2nd abs ring. This is kind of fascinating
    neanderthal likes this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just burned up my 2cd set of 804/805,s.At a little over 6000 miles rear is pretty shot and front gets noisy and squirrely above 60 mph from cupping.Rear is like a paddle tire in sand but have to be careful in shallow mud as it slides out easy.As yooper_bob said front not a great dirt tire. Ride a 50/50 mix with a lot of loose sand.I have a motaz adventure tractionater i took off the rear because it was noisy.I am putting it back on next week it for a mainly offroad adventure.Fantastic tire except for the howling.Going to take yooper_bobs advice and put a IRC TR8 on front.Have a new shinko,s in garage for later for more 50/50 use.My riding is 90% 2 up exploring a lot of Michigan's beautiful back roads.I ride slow and careful as i always have the wifey with me.I also burned a midos standard E 07 back/shinko front up.E 07 is a little better on road and a little slicker offroad.
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    not my idea.
    Richard noticed his motoz tractionators start to get low on the front of the knobs. He bought a ring, pulled the wheel and both disks, marked, punched, threaded two holes for the abs ring and installed it.
    now he rotates the tire every 3 or 4 k km, and gives him perfect wear.
    Amphib likes this.
  17. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pirelli STR Rallys, 3k miles on rear easy, 5k miles on rear a stretch but doable. Pretty good road manners, little loose on dry pavement ridden fast, don't expect real road tire edge grip as front one will let go at a good lean angle under trail braking. Front tire wore pretty smooth on my bike by 3k miles but I do have Ohlins suspension front and rear setup for me. Pretty good on gravel and probably way better aired down I never adjusted the pressures from street use. Wet pavement not bad at all ridden within reasonable speeds. Price was not real bad under $300 a set. I still have them on my bike but will change out soon

I have a set of Bridgestone A41's I plan to go to next. I don't do any real off road only a gravel road section from time to time. My bike came with the pos Dunlops which I thoroughly hated! Front Dunlop tire barely made 2500 miles of spirited pavement riding. They sucked on wet pavement to. The A41s come on some US ATs and from what I have observed most that had them liked them and got good mileage from them. They were inexpensive so I will try them.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got about 5500 mi on OEM street tires
    Put a Mefo Super Explorer on rear and TKC 80 up front.
    TKC was slow to turn in and squirrely at first but now it’s better once scrubbed in. Also apples to oranges vs OEM street tires. I’ve used Mefos a fair bit on other bikes and like them but not crazy about their front off road.
    Will report back when I have more miles on them
    569E37E2-595F-473C-A019-48D194380BA6.jpeg 4459B3D3-FDFE-4460-87AE-1538F6B0418D.jpeg 26266BE6-4226-4696-BDB2-3D7C50305019.jpeg 091816A8-413E-41E0-89A6-0F0379A20478.jpeg
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    For anyone that puts a lot of street miles on their bike and has used the TKC80, what sort of miles are you getting out of the tires? Even if just running the front.
  20. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    uh oh...there's the gratuitous weiner shot! Nicely done sir!

Did you happen to measure the tread depth of the mefo when new?