Africa Twin tire experiences

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by gve.mcmlxxiv, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    lol...other tires work well in the wet. The K60s are dangerous.

E07s are fine in the wet.
    Motoz tractionators are very good in the wet, just shit in the 1st 200km while getting scrubbed in.
    Michelin pilot sports ( I know sport bike tires) any iteration of 3 and up, work amazing in the wet.
    804/805 are fine
    H

i'm not religious, but when on the k60s in the wet, I was a beliber:1drink
    Oh, and I had a brand new rear k60 that came out of round out of the factory. That was a super fun 1300km of trouble shooting, and annoyance.
    OnOff and Junglejeff1 like this.
  2. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol Ziggy approves
    I did not measure but it’s pretty substantial and Mefos tend to have long tread life
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Motoz tractionator GPS

I've had these now for a few months. They have about 4300 miles on them. I love them and will absolutely run them again. For my riding, I absolutely demand an all around tire. I'm too close to great twisty mountain roads and 100s of miles of gravel, some rocky and rough.

I scrubbed them in on a long week of gravel. If running in on tarmac, I could see them needing several 100 miles before you can forget about them. Unlike the stock dunlops, I've had no oh shit moments on pavement... in the wet or dry. They whir a bit... not as smooth as the stock dunlops and I really don't like feeling into the triple digits anymore, but they're very stable into the mid 90s.

Off pavement they've been predictable and of course a vast improvement over the stock. True knobs would be much better, but considering how well they handle on pavement, I'm very happy. Considering how sharp the gravel and rocks can be, it's comforting knowing it's 4 ply with 12.5mm tread depth at the center. Another thing never mentioned in the threads is that it does contain silica which helps in anything wet.

Im confident the rear will go 8-10k miles. Who knows how long the front will last 15k+ for sure would be my guess. When these are gone in the fall, I do want to try something different through the winter.... not sure yet what. But unless I try the e-07+ or something else pops up, I'll be happy to run these again in the spring.

20190718_192506.jpg 20190718_192041.jpg 20190718_192146.jpg
  4. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    need the dog approval! definitely.
  5. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires work just fine
    Utah
    05BB0BB0-55EF-401A-B4CC-72E7AAC46F5D.jpeg A2705832-A843-4B30-BD45-4DE43D24238E.jpeg 786CE5E7-DF55-491B-946B-A0B7F23FA6DE.jpeg 4A96EA39-1808-440E-ADC1-845F8F2765A2.jpeg
    rohmanhakim, stege, BaldKnob and 2 others like this.
  6. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best ADv tire I've used is the rally str. Better than the karoo, e07, k60. Not long lasting though.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  7. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my '17 AT with 1200 miles on it in early May. It had TKCs on it. Not sure when the OP put them on, but the OEM tires I got with the bike did have some wear. The bike had been in the shop for its 1000 mi. checkup and that is likely when the TKCs went on.

That's the starting point.

There are 7000 miles on the bike now, just back from a two week ride. I bought a replacement rear (what was available part way into the trip..a Shinko 705) around 3200 miles. The rear wasn't completely gone by then, but another 1000 miles would have been stretching it.

So, rear TKC-80: 3200 miles.

By the time I got home, the front was badly cupped and needs to go.

So, front TKC-80: 6000 miles...and it's burnt toast.

The 705 rear is wearing well, it already having more than 2x the miles the TKC had on it when IT was taken off. There is some loss of traction to the TKC on dirt/gravel, but it performs well enough. I have zero intention of even trying to push my AT to its limits off road. I DO want the freedom to take an off-highway route when I choose to without beating myself and my street bike (Honda 700SC) to death.

Tires are certainly a matter of owner preference and application. I have run particular brands (other bikes) for decades thinking they did a great job, only to find that some other brand was a completely different (and much better) bailiwick. As much trouble as it is to try something new when it comes to tires, do consider challenging what you now 'know' to be an absolute true fact.
  8. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm about to hit 20k on my 2017 AT after about 18 months. I've been switching out tires throughout, well before they're toast. I've used the following:
    • Original Dunlops
    • Karoo 3 Front/Mitas E07 Rear
    • Pirelli Scorpion Trail II (front and rear)
    • Shinko 704/705 (front and rear)
    Most of my riding is tarmac, but I like having the option of dipping onto trails and backgrounds. I do it often enough and I like having a tire that can handle it all.

In light of this, I have just gone back to the Karoo 3 front/Mitas E07+ rear. It's the best set-up I've had and I'm very happy with it. Rain/Shine/Hot/Cold/Whatever.
    gve.mcmlxxiv, OnOff and Amphib like this.
  9. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    600 miles in on my new Continental Trail Attack 3. If you never leave tarmac just buy these, bloody amazing tyres! So stable and grippy when leant right over and quiet, stable and smooth on the motorway, cruising at 75-90mph they are great.
    gve.mcmlxxiv, neanderthal and OnOff like this.
  10. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread.
    I just got my AT. Used 2016 manual with only 2766 miles. I'll be running the stock tires for a while but will need something a little more aggressive when it's time to change. Like the looks of the Mefo Super Explorer/TKC80 setup.
    gve.mcmlxxiv and OnOff like this.
  11. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Great info in here!

About to put the 705 rear (150/70 18 TL) to the test. Starting from brand new, 6,000 miles up to Alaska and back. Eager to take progress pics and report back with good data about wear and performance.
    gve.mcmlxxiv, Junglejeff1 and gammel like this.
  12. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OnOff likes this.
  13. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes and pretty cheap!
  14. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just rode a week and 4k on Bridgestone AX41's. They've done very well - gravel, some dirt, lots of dry pavement and some wet. But I don't think the rear will last much beyond 6k.

Then again, with the $50 rebate, a set only cost $175 shipped. If I can find them cheap again, I'll get them again.
    Junglejeff1, mb300 and Amphib like this.
  15. Appalachian Twin

Appalachian Twin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my 2017 manual and immediately put on Shinko 804/805. Got a little over 3000 mi before I switched to TKC 80s. Still some life left in them, but I felt I needed more knobs as the Shinko were too squirrelly in mud, sand, wet grass or off camber terrain. TKC 80s brought my bike to LIFE! Kind of like in "Young Frankenstein" when the doctor screams "Its ALIVE!!!" Ran the heck out of them but by 3500 miles they were toast. Now Have 3500 miles on TKC 70s and they look brand new. Just ordered Mefo Explorers front and rear before an upcoming trip. Bought on advise of friend with 990 who got 3500 miles of hard throttle riding, so I hope to have found my Unicorn.:getiton

Don't hear much about Mefos around here.
  16. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d love to add the question to this thread...
    Along w your tires what PSI are you using on and Offroad. Have you gone tubeless?
    Heavy duty tubes or regular?
  17. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Do you remember what milage you got out of the various sets?

I realise that ones throttle hand and riding proclivities will affect tire life, but it will be good information nonetheless.

I typically get about 15k miles out of the OE tires. Ill be putting on the 6th set in about 3000 miles. Which, for me, could be a month, or half a year. I did 11k in 3 months and then the bike has just sat; doctors orders.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. dgp

dgp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done 8,500km on the stick Dunlop’s. I have found them to be great on the road, but bloody scary on anything else.
    I whipped the rims off tonight to get some new Metzeler Karoo Streets put on in the next couple of days. Looking forward to having a bit more confidence off the road.
    Dunlop’s have approx 2mm tread depth left in the centre, with between 4-6mm on the sides. (Need to do some more knee scraping obviously).
    E4925E53-17A7-45E9-B471-EA5297F56F83.jpeg 2EADB865-CCEE-4F54-8D26-066D58D8F9EE.jpeg 173E8D2B-1791-4D67-9429-F10D3C24AADB.jpeg 5F9E6F30-BAC9-48C4-BA98-C114C5F83A2A.jpeg 81DFE88B-41DD-48F0-B84A-12B71B363989.jpeg
  19. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    correct. Fine on road, any thing loose and wet...you will loose the amount of times you have had to save the front end...
  20. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I'll be a monster thread.
    PSI for me is what's recommended cold pressure on a given tire.
    OUTEX, on both hoops.
    Tubes? sure, in the tool tube. Regular. I only run HD tubes off road, rear only, at low psi (8 psi or so). Zero issues with pinch flats, if I don't go below 8.
    OnOff likes this.