Africa Twin tire experiences

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by gve.mcmlxxiv, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    None of the sets needed to be changed when I did so. I just got trigger happy and wanted to find what worked for me. So, roughly 5k on each? The dunlops only lasted 2k before I changed them, but not because of any issues.
    mb300 and neanderthal like this.
  2. dgp

dgp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had the Karoo Streets fitted today, mounted the wheels back on the bike, gave the chain some love and am looking forward to getting out this weekend to give the new shoes a try.
    Standard depths, rear 9.2mm, front 6.2mm at the centre
    4D8E0EBB-3479-40A6-A91B-FD7CBBED0866.jpeg B4CC79F0-7366-4C49-B8E0-3EFDC4F610C8.jpeg FB1E42AF-EC5E-404F-9F0B-EC870D58195A.jpeg B05A4D32-CA0B-488B-B735-1A4B330E74C7.jpeg 90F16B82-E301-44D9-B231-85320E4EEC45.jpeg FF8E469F-DF73-4CE4-9E86-E326898E230D.jpeg C239F5E6-60EF-4171-9B71-234AC7A102C0.jpeg
  3. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm really interested in the Karoo Street. Let us know how it is once you've gotten it broken in.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    H
    How did they work on loose sand and light mud.I have a new set of 804/805,s and sorta wished i purchased a back gps instead.I run a lot of sandy roads and the shinko s are a little squirrly.I tried the adventure on back and loved it but could not handle the howling on pavement.I am going to groove the rear shinko and see if it gives it more lateral stability.Damn thing paddles sand well but slides out easy.
  5. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed with how they handle in all surfaces, but from getting to know you here, you're a much more aggressive rider than I am. In mud, I'll gear up and tractor through. The GPS has huge side lugs that help offset the center strip. A post awhile back, Motociclo was experimenting with siping a gps, not sure what the results were. The front is expectedly pretty bad when turning in mud. I'll usually engine break, pump back brake and can usually feel the limits. There's not much sand here, but the bits I've encountered have not been a problem.

I suppose in these environments it's like most tires... Just need momentum and be sensitive to throttle and brake control. I've slid into quite a few muddy ruts and letting the bike just do its thing holding gently on the bars using engine braking pumping back brake. Muddy uphill is all momentum or just tractoring using the bikes great low rpm torque.

The GPS is a compromise and for the amount of great pavement I ride, for me it's good enough for when the going gets rough.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  6. dgp

dgp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I went for a blast on the weekend, only did about 130k’s but the tyres are night and day with the original Dunlop’s.
    The front immediately felt more confident about where it wanted to go, and that was on tarmac. I only did some basic dirt roads, but the bike was planted, steered well and I had so much more confidence in it with the Metzeler tyres on. I even managed a few wheelies on the road with all the trees, so the back was hooking up well.

44E5428B-E264-4EEA-91B2-CF7363F149D0.jpeg FB0430FB-625D-4BF8-B2D0-317355B65C72.jpeg 58EF845B-958F-43DC-9135-3C0EE6CC600D.jpeg CAE60F3D-6A73-4D3C-A643-91D0508FF716.jpeg
    mb300 likes this.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've noticed a couple of people in this thread using the Karoo 3 front with a different brand rear. Why are you guys not choosing to also run the Karoo 3 on the back?
    gve.mcmlxxiv likes this.
  8. nohumdrumlife

nohumdrumlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are my experiences with the Bridgestone Battlax AX41 (rear) and Shinko 804 (front).
    I did Colorado's Owl Creek Pass and Los Pinos Pass (dirt) and including pavement, rode about 1300 miles total.
    First, they are brilliant street tires. I leaned into corners with nary a worry. They just plain stick. They rumble and whine a tad, but I wear earplugs, so I won't mark them down for that. On dirt, they hold up well in that area as well. I suspect that I will like the AX41 front even better than the Shinko 804 but the combo did pretty well together.

The only negative is that both tires appear to have a short life ahead, with my expectations of only getting less than 4000 miles out of each.
    Amphib likes this.
  9. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m one of them. I run the Metz in the front and e07+ on the back. I think the karoo3 looked like a closer match to the eo7+ rear that the eo7 front did actually. Eo7+ rear was a little flatter on the top than the karoo. Karoo very round. Good for cornering but I would wear it out faster with 60 miles each way on the freeway to get to the dirt. Karoo3 rear may be a superior handling tire to e07+ and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. The criteria for me is big wide blocks that don’t flop around and squirm in corners on the street. E07+ rear and karoo3 front are both massive. Karoo 3 may have the biggest widest blocks on the front that I’ve seen. Also what influenced me was William what’s his name on you tube that went on a 50,000 mile around the world promotion on his AT. He went through every tire combo possible and settled on this. He is about my age and riding style so I followed suit and have been completely satisfied with the combo but I am going to try a tkc80 on the front next time just to see what it is like. Front tire is cheap so easy to switch out too.
    HerrDeacon, Junglejeff1 and swimmer like this.
  10. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    cost. I went for cost, but will run the same combo, to try out. Karoo3 front, and e07+ rear. the E07 front (dakar or regular) is a bit closlely cropped, and dosen't have a lot of cleaning space.
    As soon as I wear out my howler monkeys, aka adv tractionators, this set will go on
  11. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    howler monkeys! :)
  12. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    tkc80 21 inch fronts are on sale a revzilla right now for $76 USD. 22% off. got one on the way.
    mb300 likes this.
  13. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed the Dunlop’s on the road. When I hit the AT I was coming up from a klx250 so I enjoyed the highway for a good year as a road bike before I went back off road a lot.
  14. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    yep. They howl like a bastard, but otherwise, fucking Roses!

speaking of which I re-installed my mildly used motoz tractionator rear. man...what a bastard to re-seat! It wouldn't go on until I introduced some flammable liquid and a lighter! Blammo!! on it seated!

on a separate tire note.
    My shinko 805 lasted all of 6k km. But that included grooving the center knobs with two small deeper strips that went past the actual left over depth of the knob (see below, or click for full image)
    They held up fine but it was high time to get rid of them. The grooving didn't help with the side to side movement of the tire due to the knob design. Cost wise, for me they were not the deal they are cracked up to be. comparing costs to an E07d the 805 is 60% more to run. Mostly because I got 50% more mileage out of the E07d and it only cost $185 vs $135 Canuckistan fun bucks.

[​IMG]
    mb300 and playinatwork like this.
  15. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    i can't open that
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    hang on, there's something odd ball going on with the pics. I'll fix it!
    sorted! disregard the spring pic.

Attached Files:

17. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    IMG_0340.jpg IMG_0339.jpg

The old and the new. Kissing the wear bars.
    Amphib likes this.
  18. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
  19. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    5,000 or 6,000 unfortunately I can’t be exact because I didn’t record the mileage when I put them on. The Ozarks rocks have taken some chunks out of them.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    20190814_152541.jpg 20190814_152250.jpg

Shink 705 TL rear (running the 3M tubeless setup), and 804 front. Sorry I didn't measure the tread depth before I started the ride to Alaska, lol.

5,505 Miles on these so far in one trip. I weigh 165lbs with gear on and was carrying maybe 25lbs of stuff; I pack light. Temps reached 100°F every day, so the roads were hot, cruising at 90mph for good stretches of highway, hard acceleration and aggressive braking in the twisties along the coastal legs. Almost all pavement except for about 70 miles of fairly fast (40mph) dusty dirt roads, some loose rock here and there and plenty of washboard. Also had a total of about 4 hours of rain riding on pavement, tires unsurprisingly did great. Pressures were set cold, psi, 40R/36F. Didn't bother to air down for the dirt road, probably why the rear spun up so much.

Overall, tires look great. Before the offroad section the rear looked basically new, despite having ~2500 miles at that point. I got pretty aggressive off-road and knocked some life out of it. Suspect I'll still get a few thousand miles out of these for random road trips and group rides
    gve.mcmlxxiv, mb300 and Amphib like this.