Africa Twin tire experiences

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by gve.mcmlxxiv, Jul 13, 2019.

1. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those look great for that kind of mileage! You run your tire pressure higher than I do. I’m running the stock pressures on the eo7+ and Karoo 3 front set up. 36r 29f. I’ve got the tubes still. I’ll share what they look like when I replace them in the next week.
  2. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    I am a true 50/50 rider who rides aggressively offroad but avoids any form of moisture like the plague. A Karoo 3 was my first front tire after stock and I'm getting another having just finished somewhere between 6-8k on it. I really, really like it, absolutely zero complaints.

I had a Mefo Super Explorer on the rear. I prefer the street-leaning compromise of my MotoZ GPS rear and think it'll go well with the new K3 front. The Karoo Streets front would also have me interested if I ever scaled back my offroad pace and miles. To me the Karoo tread pattern is innovative and looks killer. Unfortunately the rear version K3 is known to wear very quickly under these heavier bikes. But I am going to try the K3 front and rear on my 250 dual sport assuming the sizes are compatible.

Being a 50/50 guy, my take on compromise is that I'd rather give up a little offroad performance than street performance. This is because I have confidence in my abilities to handle a reasonable level of chaos offroad where the room for error is greater and the slope of danger not so steep. On the street, the room for error is much less and the slope of danger much greater. Speeds are higher, other much larger vehicles are often present, and the surface is much less forgiving on impact. All that presents much more potential for danger even with a consistent surface. To paint the picture, you're railing a twistie, one of your tires gives just the slightest now boom you slammed into a pickup going the opposite direction. A similar scenario offroad is much more predictable and forgiving for the veteran rider even with street tires.

So as much as the center-strip type 50/50 tires are despised for offroad, my MotoZ GPS has really struck a perfect compromise for me. Knobs for offroad? Check. Center strip for railing twisties? Check? Relatively long wear? Check. The Karoo 3 front does the same but without the need for that center strip - which isn't really a thing for front tires. Lastly, yes the MotoZ GPS rear and Karoo 3 front combo looks weird but I actually like it. Expecting the same tread design to work front and back is unrealistic.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Great comments man, I think we're on exactly the same page looking at this. I've got about 2 more months before it's new tire time. I've been agonizing over trying something else, but I've just been so happy with the GPS. My front has alot of tread left but I'll change it out when I do the rear because of scalloping (pretty minor). I'm leaning towards sticking with GPS on the rear, but from your experience, may try the k3 on front. With me not going to get 2 rears per front, I'd rather try something else. But we'll see, I keep going back and forth.

I'm definitely game to try something new but like you said, I don't want to lose much on twisty roads. The other thing I'm curious about is how the GPS handles my roads in the winter........ Cold and damp. I put these on in the spring after that nonsense was over.

Thanks for the comments.
  4. RossTheRed

RossTheRed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got my ATAS and have a set of MotoZ Tractionator RallZ on the way. I had hoped to try a set of Tractionator Adventures, but MotoZ is having trouble meeting demand. I ran back-to-back TKC80s and Tractionator Desert H/Ts on my DRZ. The Desert H/Ts lasted a little longer and were much better in the dirt. I never challenged either on the highway. I had a Tractionator Adventure front and a Mefo Super Explorer rear with 8000-10,000 miles on them when the DRZ was stolen, and I was planning another 1500 miles of riding before replacing them. I have about 3000 miles planned for the RallZ and then the stock tires go back on for the winter. Chances are I won't know about the longevity of the RallZ until the end of next summer.

Just a random picture:

Snow0506.JPG

I believe those are Heidenaus on the V-Strom.
    Junglejeff1 and mb300 like this.
  5. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OE tires were ok on dry roads but they scooted out a couple times in rain. Replaced with TKC 70's which are better on dry and much better on wet. I'm at about 2,500 miles now and they don't seem to have worn much.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am riding more standard type adv this year and less nasty offroad.I ride 2 up mostly and sort of getting sick of swapping tires every 6k.Have a set of new shinko,s to burn up (804/805)but thinking about switching to more durable tire after they are shot at 6k.Thinking gps but not sure.I hear the scouts suck in rain so not to sure on them as I have never used them.Have used Standard E-07 (6500 shot)on back and TKC(3000 miles and shot).Starting to think riding mostly 2 up I just have to deal with it on adv tires.Seems like everyone gets better milage out of there tires than me.
  7. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    GPS work great in the rain for me. Can't say enough about the tire's overall performance. IMHO, they fit the all around nature of the AT excellent. I'm guessing I'll be right at around 8k miles when I pull them off. While they did need quite a bit of time to run in, I'm not all that convinced it's such a hard compound tire. They wore much faster than I thought, but there's so much freaking meat there to start. I'm thinking alot of the longevity has to do with the initial thickness of the tire.....more rubber to wear.

I'm riding to the Barber motorcycle festival first weekend in October. I'll put on new tires after that trip...... I'll post a final review of that set with pics.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  8. RossTheRed

RossTheRed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Western Washington. I used Heidenaus on my V-Strom. I typically got about 16,000 miles out of a set. They could probably go to about 20,000 miles if you didn't do any dirt for the last 5000 miles. I could drag foot pegs fully loaded on dry pavement. They don't suck when it's wet. They just aren't as good as some other tires. Take is easy on the throttle in the rain and they are fine.
    I'd be interested in hearing how the MotoZ Tractionator tires compare. The GPS front looks identical to the K60 front, yet the GPS tends to get better reviews.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,I am really thinking about putting one on back.I slow down and way careful in rain as I like not being hurt.Just sick of replacing tire every 6 to 7 k.Most riding I do now on this bike is mellow with wife on board and use other bikes to hot rod.Would be happy if I could get 10k.
  10. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I'll do a end of season motoz tractionator adventure review with close ups, before pulling the tire off the rim.
    Forgot to say how I ride. On road, quick, but not stupid.
    Off road, as quickly as I feel comfortable on the bike.
    Gravel, I don't like to spin up the rear, unless I feel like it. I'm not generally easy on road tires.
    Typically settle the rear into turns on the transmission, and throttle,
    rather than brakes.
    Pressures are per manufacturer, 33 PSI. I believe. I did air down a bit off road to 30 or so PSI

Front is wearing like granite. I've installed a 2nd abs ring, and i've rotated the tire, errmmm twice.
    Installed at 17 kkm (tread depth 11.2mm). Checked at 19.8 kkm (t.d @ 10.9mm)
    Flipped at 20.9 kkm. Didn't check depth.
    Flipped again at 24.8km. TD @ 9mm, and now wearing pretty much even across the tire (front to back).

The last 3500km were on the IDBDR. Lots of rocks, many sharp. Lots of fast gravel. The paved portion of lolo was awesome on the tires. In fact any twisty road, paved or otherwise, didnt' give the tire away as a 50/50 type tire.
    They stuck like glue. Right to the edge.

Rear. Huge tread depth from new (13.56mm), but..it's wearing quick.
    I pulled it off between my last trip and the BDR. First stint was 2600km. I'll finish off the season with the tire, with tread down to the wear bars, and may squeeze another 5 kkm out of it.

Both tires are fantastic off road.
    Great in the city, but loud...damn loud. I can hear the hum over my staintune exhaust without a baffle when at speed.
    very good in the wet. Not michelin pilot good, but good. One thing..they took a tank and a bit to properly scrub in. They were dodgy in the 1st 350km.
    [​IMG]

I'll be putting on an E07+ on the rear, and keep running the front motoz.
    mb300 and Amphib like this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I had an EO7+ delivered yesterday. Looks nice. I currently have the TKC80 front and back that my bike came with and was planning on switching out the rear with the Mitas this weekend when I seal up the back wheel but may just remount the TKC80 and wear it out. I suspect the TKC will be easier to mount than the Mitas incase my seal job leaks and I need to pull the tire off again.

Would like to pair that Mitas witha Karoo3 up front but I have another brand new TKC80 front tire as well that I haven't been able to sell.
    gve.mcmlxxiv likes this.
  12. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    Do the tkc80 rear and wear it out. I just got my second e07+ on the rear. It’s not the Dakar version and it’s a tough wrestler. I wouldn’t put it on until you were certain you didn’t want to go back in.
    swimmer likes this.
  13. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    interestingly they dropped the regular E-07 in 150. They do make them in 140 still!
    EO7+ is next for my rear rim.
    Mitas E07 chart.PNG
    https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/motorcycle--trail--tires
    mb300 and gve.mcmlxxiv like this.
  14. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    IMG_0400.JPG this was a new tire this morning. Whiskers gone now. 112 miles of rocks and gravel and washout ruts
    Amphib likes this.
  15. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Stock tires. 99% street riding. I ride like your grandma.

1st bike. Dunlops. 15XXX miles.
    2nd bike. Dunlops. 15XXX miles.
    3rd bike. Bridgestones. 14XXX miles. I only changed them out because I didn't want to schlep them back to Dallas. I could have easily gotten 15k out of them. Possibly more.

I definitely prefer the feel and wet weather response of the Bridgestones over the Dunlops. I have no complaints about the Dunlops really, as I tend to drive if it rains. However even as their treadwear diminished the Bridgestones imparted a greater feeling of control, the definition/ fidelity/ clarity of traction was still vividly tangible through the controls, where the clarity got muddled somewhat with the Dunlops as they aged/ wore out. I had to ride the Bridgestones through some serious rain and they were confident and competent, even though I wasn't. I haven't had to (again I take the car as much as I can when it rains) use the Dunlops much in rain, much less heavy rain.

Overall i'm content with both as touring/ commuting tires. Slight advantage to the Bridgestones.

And i'l remind you again; I ride like your grandma.
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    nice! that one is going on next...still got 5mm on the motoz....will finish up the season here.
  17. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I think you will be very hard pressed to see 6k MI/10k km out of a rear 805. Checking my maint. log, the 805 lasted exactly 6k km. And that's with the tires grooved. I've managed over 10k km on E07s. I doubt the motoz tractionator adv will not last much past 6k km. i have that on the rear now, and tread depth is down to 5mm between knobs...less even on the edges.
    On a positive note, the front motoz is wearing like granite, esp. when being rotated every 3 or 4k. That bastard will go well past 10k km. Currently at 8k, and it's got 9mm of tread left. That's more than some brand new tires. Karoo 3 is about 7.5mm new.
    Besides the noise, it's a fantastic tire for what I need it for.
    Amphib likes this.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a good tractionator hanging on wall.Just to noisy so pulled it.Your riding seems a lot like mine and have same 6k result with shinko,s.After I burn up a new set I have going to try a GPS on back.Would have kept the tractionator on but drove wife nuts.That tire is so sweet in the dirt.
  19. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
  20. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I agree, but your 6k does not equal mine...no way in hell was I going to get 10000km out of that rear shinko, it was a bit more than that..6000km...errmm...3800miles to be exact.
    Give the missus some ear plugs. Does wonders for me.
    I am surprised by the wear on the tractionator adv. Mind you, I did put it through hell. Has few cuts to boot. Not deep enough for leaks. It does have one plug in already. whatever...with the tubliss, it's not that big of a deal for the rear. Besides, front seems to be a great compromise for wear/grip/wet grip, and off road
    Junglejeff1 likes this.