Africa Twin tire experiences

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by gve.mcmlxxiv, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Got acquainted with the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T during my recent TAT trip.
    My goto has been the Tractionator ADV and GPS for the rear.
    The Desert H/T only come in 140mm width for the 18" rims.
    I had a flat on tarmac after I forgot to air back up from 27 psi.
    Valve stem was completely ripped off and the new tube shredded.
    For a trip like the TAT, Desert H/T is not suited but if you want max traction offroad, I'd go with it.
    It takes the howler award on the road.
    I wish I could have rode it longer, but I had already ordered a new tire.
    After I put new tube in, I did not air down from 32 psi and it was great.
    [​IMG]
    Junglejeff1 and Amphib like this.
  2. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes sir
    Good eye
    I was at Snowbird and Alta today and it was snowing hard 9/11/19
    787B8C42-6A58-49A4-9311-90D964492CE4.jpeg F76D3064-0688-448C-B86F-3869738DE0FB.jpeg F79CD91D-5FDA-4BD5-AE7B-33F2A54C1435.jpeg D547A4BC-21F4-4528-A468-8A7CAD67AA1B.jpeg
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    OnOff likes this.
  4. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put the Michelin Anakee Wilds on my ATAS and I couldn't be happier. They are quieter than the e-07s and hook up really well both on dirt and the street. There is no wobbling that I have noticed although I rarely go faster than 75. The rear is a radial and the front is a bias. I don't air down ever. Too paranoid about pinch flats and whacking my rim. As for longevity I don't know yet. I have 2k on them and they seem to have lots of tread left. Maybe the radial design keeps them cooler and so they last longer. Not sure about that though.
    mb300 likes this.
  5. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 CRF1000L Africa Twin , WR250F

Oddometer:
    I am running Anakee Wilds as well. On the street I can push it as fast as I want and on the dirt they have been great. I also do not air down as I'm afraid of pinch flats on this big beast.

BUT - I have shredded my rear in about 2000miles w/ about 75% of those dirt miles. The center knobs are down to about 25% of their original height. I like to twist the throttle offroad , so you may get better milage out of it than me. The soft compound does give great traction all around. The front has plenty of miles left in it still.

I will likely go to Motoz Tractionator Adventure's over the winter front and rear (I dont like to run mixed front and rears) to see how many miles I can get out of them.
    mb300 likes this.
  6. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am new to dirt so I take it pretty easy, especially on a 550lbs motorcycle
  7. Motociclo

Motociclo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just service my AT, reading notes from last tyre change.
    My front, 20 k km on Motoz GPS, rear has around 10k km.
    Both have maybe another 5k in them. Never have been super hard on tyres. I check pressures before every ride. Run 30 psi front, 36 rear.
    Mix of terrain. Likely more black top than dirt. Was quite surprised.
    Was planning on going back to E07's. For now will stick with GPS. Grip is ok. Can't complain. E07 are bit better on dirt. No difference in wet I feel.
    Junglejeff1 and bikerbob like this.
  8. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t think anything saves this bike in wet. Especially off road wet
  9. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fullsizeoutput_9ed8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ed8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a2f8.jpeg I put MotoZ GPS on rear and Adventure on the front. In less than 100 miles rear tire starting cracking the dealer sent me another one and same thing happened they refunded me my $ I lost confidence in the product the Adv front tire had no issues other than it was loud on the pavement. Both rear tires were from the same production batch. fullsizeoutput_9ed8.jpeg
  10. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went on a 3K mile pavement ride and I put on the Pirelli Scorpion II tires I was happy with how they performed on road as for off-road I have only had them on fire roads but I thought they were fine. So far I have 4K miles on them and they seem to be wearing well.
  11. Motociclo

Motociclo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Motoz GPS crackd early. Just rode it out.
  12. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:

Mine did as well...several appeared early, but seemed very minor and didn't appear to get worse. It also had a shallow horizontal one like in the pic. Because of the reports, I watched them closely since new. There was some excess rubber from the casting where the horizontal crack was. It didn't take too long to wear away. I'm putting a second set on soon.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.