Africa Twins Only - CRF1000 Engineered Enhancements

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spartanman, Sep 3, 2016.

1. erey

erey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ;-) I'm back with a 2017 improved Africa. I need again a big trail to go to Island this year. The DRZ is not enough.
    abj likes this.
  2. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Oh please tell us mortals what has been improved?
  3. erey

erey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bad. My english is not so good. Improvement will be my improvements not from Honda. Honda purpose nothing apparently for 2017 (except a new color).
    I will review the springs (front , back), adding protection (better than I did previously), adding cruise control, etc.
    twinrider and jyrays like this.
  4. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you counted me in or not...i am interested pending the final look, price and quality vs. price...
  5. Freakytikitv

Freakytikitv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please keep OEM bolt holes for after market rack/plate mounts so we can run any system we want. Looking for more reliable and stronger rack. Count me in for superior rack that I can count on. My tail is a flex e flyer empty. Looking forward to 2up and loaded.
  6. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in as well! I saw the rear rack that broke off an AT during a run in the Barstow to Vegas ride, didn't look good.
  7. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I only found out about this today. I will watch with great interest. My need for this is strength and strength only. We are currently traveling around the world two up and with a Givi top box on the rack. My fear is the OEM base/rack will crack and break over time. The wife always uses the grab rails, so they are needed for us. Like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, go heavier in the material and minimise all inflexion points. i will await with interest the final outcome. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/chasing-rainbows-rtw-on-a-h-a-t.1172713/
  8. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: We reviewed the model with the fabricator earlier this week and it's good to go! We've decided to go with a soda-blast finish rather than black oxide. We looked at a sample and it appears as smooth, unpolished stainless. It really looks nice! Why the change?

Three reasons:

1) Lower cost: To get a perfectly uniform black oxide finish, the assembly must be soda blasted beforehand, which means two processes and the associated cost. We're doing all we can to keep the rack affordable without compromising function and quality.
    2) Improved durability: Although the black oxide surface is durable it can get scratched through to the stainless steel base metal. Scratches will be much less noticeable on the soda-blast finish.
    3) Compatibility: Red and Red/White/Blue ATs use a silver-colored rack. The soda-blast finish more closely matches the OE rack color. Silver bikes get a black rack, though the soda-blast finish should look great on silver bikes as well!

We're targeting the end of this month for completion of the prototype. Costing before that. Stay tuned!!!
    Juha, abj, mslow and 5 others like this.
  9. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested. Have you incorporated an option to remove the rear seat and use that space for mounting bags?

With your rack, will you still use the stock side pannels that mount on either side of the bike just below the rack?

More pictures would be great.
  10. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Yes to both questions. We'll post pictures of the final prototype soon. Thanks for your interest!
    Sefto likes this.
  11. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    One more question. Does your rack allow the front seat to be placed in the high and low position?
  12. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Yes!
  13. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Sounds like a very worthwhile project.
  14. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in one of these so put me on the list! I hope the edges of the plate, especially around slots for straps, are eased nicely. Don't want cuts or wear-throughs on the straps. They take a real beating when off road with a duffel tied down.
  15. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I really like this product, and thank you for putting the work forward to get this done. I have to tell you though, If you have the base of this sorted out I would really like to see another option...
    Keep the back the same but with holes for rotopax, then eliminate the rear seat putting a flat rack in its place that is hinged and lockable allowing what was the rear seat to now be a storage box.

-Barron
  16. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    This has been presented to them a while ago, it's a great idea that i hope to see as well.
    Barron likes this.
  17. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that, I saw the post you're referring to when I was reading through this thread, but no response. I don't blame them if they don't make it, because you can't please everyone but I think that most of us are adding the box on the back or getting tank bags for things that could be stored in a small box to replace the seat. The more feedback and requests they get will help them gauge the market for such an item before spending all the cash and time on development and prototypes. I like the design now, especially with the grab bar option but it seems to me like the box idea would be easier to design that keeping the seat. I could be totally wrong though, and again really appreciate their efforts so far.

-Barron
    mslow likes this.
  18. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Agreed, smooth edges are a must, especially for tie-down points. You're on the list! And thanks for the feedback!
  19. spartanman

Oddometer:
    We're definitely looking at options for using the passenger seat space. The updated prototype has provisions for such things. Thanks for the input. We really appreciate it!
    Barron likes this.
  20. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    That would be really great! I'd like to make the tail of the bike thinner so I don't kick it when I'm getting on, but if I put a box on the back I'll just end up kicking that instead lol

-Barron