Africa Twins Only - CRF1000 Engineered Enhancements

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spartanman, Sep 3, 2016.

1. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Quick update: Spoke with the powder coating company this afternoon. They're back from the trade show and working to get all the racks done for pick up this Saturday. Stay tuned!
  2. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Racks are all powder coated. Picking them up tomorrow morning! Preorder customers, watch email for your PayPal invoice. Thanks, all.
    Older and wiser likes this.
  3. Grantwallace

Grantwallace The MFWIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty Stoked here! Thanks for the update....
  4. spartanman

Oddometer:
    To all those who have paid their invoices, thank you! Much appreciated. Your ATO racks will ship Monday, at which time I'll email you the tracking number. Also, I believe all racks in addition to the preorders have been spoken for. Unfortunately, I was unable to fulfill all the requests this production run. And this was and will likely be the last run. My business partner has decided to bow out. He doesn't believe there will be demand for ATO racks going forward, given the introduction of the 2018 Adventure Sport model, which comes with a steel rack. Nevertheless, I continue to get requests for ATO racks. Build more or bag it, that is the question.
    Older and wiser and Brokenwrench like this.
  5. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    While the Adventure Sport model has the metal rack, as far as I can tell the standard bike doesn't. Also, it doesn't look like the 2018 plastics can be retrofitted to the 2016-2017 bikes. If I were in your position I'd keep the business going, but I'd look at operating on a scheduled preorder basis, where you do production runs a few times per year on a regularly scheduled basis. So for example, you submit an order to your fabricator once per quarter, with the preorder window closing on the first day of each quarter. That way you don't have to keep stock on hand, you have enough time to put together enough preorders to hit your minimums, and you keep the pipeline open for the handful of people who always trickle in two days after the preorder window closes.

Also, have you considered selling your racks through some of the more popular AT parts suppliers like Rugged Roads, Rally Raid, and Camel ADV?
  6. Grantwallace

Oddometer:
    I was going to suggest licensing the design to another manufacturer. You get a cut but don’t have to stock inventory or deal with the headache of the entire process. Either way there is value in what you have created and I would suggest that you stay the course in some shape or form. The fact that I can still get stuff for a twenty year old bike means that the product is far from “running its course”. 2016-2017 Honda produced over 50,000 units worldwide.
  7. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea. Rally Raid has the ability to produce and the infrastructure to sell the racks. @Camel ADV could handle it as well and Cory has a great reputation for fixing problems with the AT after his awesome peg brace and windscreen brace (both of which I've got on my bike).
    mslow likes this.
  8. spartanman

Oddometer:
    USA-bound ATO Racks shipped this afternoon via FedEx Ground. Check your email for tracking numbers and installation instructions. International customers, your racks will ship in the morning. I missed the not-so-late-night post office by 10 minutes! They used to stay open until midnight weekdays; now it's 7 PM. Thank you, everyone.
  9. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    If you build them, they will come...
    Brokenwrench likes this.
  10. spartanman

Oddometer:
    All racks shipped! Check email for your tracking number and installation instructions. Thanks again, everyone!
    Older and wiser and MarshkevUK like this.
  11. Snave_GtLst

Snave_GtLst n00b

Oddometer:
    My ATO rack arrived last week and is installed. It's absolutely beautiful!!!!
    spartanman likes this.
  12. spartanman

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
  13. Grantwallace

Oddometer:
    Mine is installed and perfect! You can really tell this was a well thought out piece of work. Thank you for such a great product.
    spartanman likes this.
  14. Brokenwrench

Brokenwrench n00b

Oddometer:
    Bolt on as advertised. Very happy with quality. Great job.

Attached Files:

spartanman likes this.
  15. spartanman

Oddometer:
    After what was to be the last production run, I continue to get inquiries about ATO Racks. In light of this, I may do a short run to fill these requests and see where it goes...
  16. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    I'd definitely look at just doing a couple scheduled orders per year. It's no risk for you, and it gives you more time to collect preorders compared to this last run.

PS: Installed my rack last week and it's an awesome piece of kit. Thank you so much for doing the design work.
  17. spartanman

Oddometer:
    The plan right now is to build some, see how they sell, and go from there. Appreciate the kind words. Glad you're happy with your rack!
  18. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    How does one get on the hopeful next build list?
  19. spartanman

Oddometer:
    If it's a preorder like the previous two runs, I'll post the preorder window dates here. Look back thru this thread for details on how that works. If we decide to just build a run of racks, it's first come, first serve.
    Thank you.
  20. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    If you are keeping a count, I'm in. And I know that doesn't mean much these days, but I'm really in if you build more.
    spartanman likes this.