Africa Twins Only - CRF1000 Engineered Enhancements

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spartanman, Sep 3, 2016.

1. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I apologize for being lazy and not going back and seeing your last post in July and speculating like I did. That was not right.

I waited a long time for updates and yes, I did buy a used rack that may have been overloaded by the original owner. Not sure what production run it was but I had a certified welder fix a few stress cracks. But after a few more rides with light loads ( 10-15 lbs) , I had to take it back in again and it was frustrating. I think the second time was the charm and if your interested, I will be more than happy to share with you off-line what I think could be done to improve the load distribution and prevent flexing.

And, ...I still really love the rack.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    davyjones likes this.
  3. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen a couple with cracks that have been welded. Mine is out of the first batch and has been fine so far. It carries a Givi top box with a lot in it most of the time.
  4. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine has cracked on both sides where the tab for the plastics (below that handles) goes through. It appears that's where the fulcrum is and there is VERY little steel above it. Oh well, I'll have to fab some doublers and weld it up.
  5. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    Mine has cracked as well, I welded it up, we’ll see how long that lasts.. there is not much metal there.

I’ve only ever carried a falling rotopax on it, nothing more.
  6. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    I welded it up with some reinforcement. We will see how it holds up. I don't adventure with a top box, but I do have a Bumont that I mount up there when in grocery getting guise. Maybe s double pack of Costco orange juice and hauling butt up my dirt road did it in.
  7. ccgunman

ccgunman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Spartanman, I know this is an older post, any chance of one more production run? I am a fabricator myself, so if just the parts were available I could handle the welding and fitting. thanks ahead of time for the consideration!