Africa Twins Only - CRF1000 Engineered Enhancements

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spartanman, Sep 3, 2016.

1. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    Did you guys ever finalize a pricing scheme for these racks? The more I look at it, the more I might like to get rid of the grab bars and be able to run soft bags. I don't pillion often (or at all), so replacing the rear seat with a storage option would be awesome as well. Consider me tentatively intrigued! :D
  2. Danielkoh81

Danielkoh81 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just saw this and I have to say I am interested. I need this for strength as I've heard someone snapped theirs. I have H&B pannier mounts and they attach to the factory pannier mounting slots that you can see just before and just after the original grab rails. Will these slots still be available so that my existing hardware for this bike can still be used?

Just to clarify, grab rails will come as standard but are designed to be removable, yes?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
  3. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Yes, we plan to offer a set of optional bolt-on adapters that mimic the factory pannier mounting slots. Yes, the removable grab rails are included with the rack.

Thanks for your interest.
    Juha and mslow like this.
  4. Danielkoh81

Danielkoh81 n00b

Oddometer:
    Perfect! I'm extremely keen! I can't wait to see the final product and the price. All the best!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They only snapped their rack because they were being reckless. Racing a bike on rough single track with a top box, plus a couple of falls. NO rear frame, plastic or metal, are designed to take that punishment for hours on end. There is a reason why we don't ride with top boxes on when riding rough enduro tracks for days on end!
    mslow likes this.
  6. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't agree with that. I have ridden not days but years with a loaded topbox (overloaded sometimes) on a 12GSa on some rough terrain (i.e. Great central road, Tanami highway, Gibb river road, some serious corrugations on these roads at seriously stupid speed from time to time. And that's just an example).
    I had to reshape the panniers attachments as they became loose with vibrations, bouncings and fallovers. No broken racks or frames because they were designed to do it's job.
    On the other hand, the rear carrier in the AT looks like it was designed to be the cheapest way to hold everything behind the rider's seat. Too much work for a weak looking part IMO.

I'm really looking forward for this final design as it would bring back my interest not on this bike, but at getting one.
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is difference between rough terrain and then racing a bike on a multi-day enduro event at speed. The mod these guys are making is a good mod though.
  8. Oz_Hillbilly

Oz_Hillbilly n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested. I currently have an Altrider rack attached to the factory rear rack and a large topbox (Givi trekker outback 52L) attached to that for commuting duties. There is simply too much flex in the plastic factory rack resulting in too much bounce for the top box. I'm assuming your solution would stiffen the whole thing up. Added benefit is losing the grab rails which do get in the way.

Cheers

JH
  9. spartanman

Oddometer:
    We plan to do a basic load test of the ATO and OE rack to measure stiffness. We'll video the tests and share the results. Thanks for your interest.
  10. Britehell

Britehell n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes pls. Im very interested as well! Looks like the initial plan of having 10-20 made is not going to work lol. Great job!!!
  11. byknphil

byknphil lurker

Oddometer:
    Who do I make the check to?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Bhart89 likes this.
  12. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    We received the tack-welded final prototype yesterday and mounted it on the bike. It fit perfectly! We made some minor mods; slightly enlarged the mounting holes, rounded a couple corners and bumped the Roto-Pax bolt hole pattern forward a tad. Below are some pics of the final prototype minus handles.

The final prototype goes back to the fabricator for full weld and soda blasting on Monday. The prototype handles will be ready this week, and production handles will be made of mandrel-bent stainless steel tube with welded attachment brackets, see pic below.

The handle forward attachment point bolts to the horizontal platform (with two bolts holes) where the original handles protruded from the side. The rear inserts thru the slot on the side of the diagonal rise up to the rack and attaches with one bolt.

We are also designing a few auxiliary bolt-on components - tubular guards to keep soft bags off the exhaust and away from the rear wheel and chain and bolt-on brackets that will accept side racks from various vendors.

We expect to have the finished prototype, with prototype handles mounted, in 10-14 days at which time we’ll post more pics and videos.

The intent is to offer the racks for sale at that time and take pre-orders with a commitment of $200 down with a final price of $395 plus shipping. We need at least 20 pre-orders with the $200 down to make this go. We want to deliver racks by the end of April so we need firm commitments by mid-March. Let us know what you think and if you’ll want to order.

Attached Files:

jamesmc, abj, Bhart89 and 2 others like this.
  13. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Looks great! So regarding the hard bag mounts, will they be the same as the original? Meaning, will I still be able to mount my Hepco Becker cases on without modification? That's my only real concern.
  14. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Would like to see mocked up with bags i.e. .Giant Loop Great Basin or others to get an idea of fit and finish
  15. byknphil

byknphil lurker

Oddometer:
    Just can't wait to be able to ride to ride with no worries of the bike falling off
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
  16. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    No Giant Loop on hand but here's my Mosko Moto Recklass 80's mounted.

Attached Files:

Juha, Barron, mslow and 2 others like this.
  17. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am interested. How much extra are the tubular guards to keep soft bags off the exhaust and away from the rear wheel and chain going to cost?
  18. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Eliminates that freaking gap!
  19. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Yes. We've designed bolt-on pockets that emulate the OE rack pockets to which the Hepco Becker rubber mounts plug in. We'll have them ready to show soon.
    Dark Helmet likes this.
  20. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    I assume that your moving the rotopax mount holes forward won't interfere with the reckless 80?

Is the 20 unit requirement for money or manufacturing issues?
    The reason i ask is because the AT is new (relatively) and i am sure in time this idea will pan even if you order a 100 (or more) of them...
    I also hope you are applying for a patent on this idea...