Africa Twins Only - CRF1000 Engineered Enhancements

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spartanman, Sep 3, 2016.

1. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Moving the holes for the RotoPacks will not effect the mounting of the soft bags - we're only moving them forward about 1/4 inch.

Both - 20 is the minimum number for the fabricator to make it cost effective. We do not have a sound understanding of how well these will sell, we are being cautious in our expectations. Asking for the $200 down will help fund the initial build and help us determine demand. As you can see by the pics - its a very complicated piece and the manufacturer costs are high. At the price were asking - we'll just cover the manufacturing costs. Our time spent designing - well let's just say the cost would be over $1,000 to recover that!!!!
    abj and Barron like this.
  2. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the finished prototype and then will make the decision. I think splitting the cost makes sense given your startup position. Thanks much for all the work.
    Barron likes this.
  3. scott_farrar

scott_farrar n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm a +1 for the pre-order. Looks like great work.
  4. abj

abj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the final pictures and then I will decide!
  5. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    Sure, I'll take one. Where do I send my money?
  6. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, we got handles! Below are a few photos of the prototype with the prototype handles! Please note that the final handles will be tubular. The handles in the photos are the first design - flat stock with a tubular grab handle, the final design will be all tubular. We posted a CAD drawing of the final handles in the photo album - see the link to the photo site. The handles can be removed in a matter of minutes - 3 bolts for each handle!

https://goo.gl/photos/BXmF5DNo3RVWwJDB8

Here's a few pics. Click the above link for more photos.

Attached Files:

dodgierogie likes this.
  7. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Wow, they look better than expected. Don't anticipate needing them but might get them anyway.

On another note, will you be offering a pillion plate to replace rear seat? Looks like your rear rack might be about even with the pillion replacement rack. That would be attractive to me.
    Barron and byknphil like this.
  8. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    The grab handles come with the rack. You can leave them on or remove them to run throw-over luggage such as Mosko Moto's Reckless 80. We're working on a toolbox/cargo shelf that goes in place of the passenger seat. Stay tuned!
    Barron likes this.
  9. spartanman

Oddometer:
    We plan to take deposits in the near future, probably by PayPal or money order. We'll post the details soon. Thank you!
  10. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Added.
  11. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Thanks for having this pic:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RU1ldjJoUDZOaGdvaEx6VHJBMFVsN2NLUEh3R2V3

When I was looking at the prototype, it looked like the 4 OEM holes had been moved. That prototype is a great idea and I'm glad to see it coming together, it really changes the way the bike looks. I can't wait to see the final product. Thanks again for keeping us posted and showing pics of your progress.

-Barron
    Aces 6 likes this.
  12. spartanman

Oddometer:
    The 4 bolt pattern on the rear deck is the same as the OE rack. This makes our rack compatible with the OE top case, and rack extensions from other vendors. The final rack will look the same as the prototype, except that the final version will have a soda-blast finish, tubular grab handles, and pockets that emulate the OE rack pockets to engage aftermarket pannier racks.
    C.J. likes this.
  13. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    That rocks! Really looking forward to it!

-Barron
    tremor38 likes this.
  14. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What does the new rear bracket bolt into on the bike, it is the steel subframe?
  15. spartanman

Oddometer:
    The rack bolts onto the subframe exactly like the OE unit.

Attached Files:

16. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    @spartanman & @arrcrussell You guys are doing an awesome job!
    With the Reckless 80 mounted, now that it's more narrow and seats much better, does the bag contact the exhaust?
    I ask because I have an aftermarket exhaust that does not have a heat shield built in like the stock does. The Mosko came with a heat shield, but I think it'll scratch up the black finish of the Arrow pipe.
  17. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    mslow, thanks for the kudos!

With the new rack and the handles removed, the Reckless 80's will contact the stock muffler heat shield. I would suspect the bags will also contact your new pipe. We have plans to produce soft bags guards that will attach to the rack and keep the bags off the exhaust and away from the rear wheel and chain - however we're working hard now just trying to get the rack finished and out the door. If the rack sells in sufficient quantities, we'll get working on the accessories too.
    mslow likes this.
  18. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    With the slimmer design with hand rails looks like you can fit a GL type bag and not worry about exhaust contact and eliminate the gap the OEM handrails cause--OEM look monstrous compared with the prototype. Great photo!
  19. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking hard about this as I set my AT up for two up riding. My only worry with the current setup is the long term stability of a large top box. I might just bite the bullet and put my name down. If I do I will PM you.

Your work on this is very good. Cheers...
  20. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are u planning on making side racks for soft or hard panniers too?