Africa Twins Only - Rack build survey

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by arrcrussell, Sep 6, 2016.

?

Would you be willing to purchase this rack if the price was $450-$500?

1. Yes

38.0%
  2. No

62.0%
  1. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
  2. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Its beginning to look like our market concerns are valid. To me, the permanent, oversized handles are the one issue that cannot be addressed. My AT is set up for solo riding with soft bags. I went to the extreme and cut-off the handles and as a result lost some structural integrity in the rear rack. Not a big issue since I generally don't use the rack. Our design gives the rider the option of removing the handles and maintaining the integrity of the rack's capacity. We had hoped there'd be a few others out there who felt the same and sought a solution. Dang!
  3. Michagander

Michagander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its a fantastic idea and I love it. But the cost at that level to me is a bit too much. If we were in the 299 to 349 range I would consider.

Any way to reduce cost by eliminating the handles?
    RufusBeazer and abj like this.
  4. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Eliminating the grab handles is a catch-22 - it will reduce the cost somewhat but will also decrease the number of potential buyers. Most people who responded to the initial design (without handles) said it needed grab handles.

The high cost results from 2 primary causes - the upfront development cost and the small quantity for production. If we knew we could sell 100 of these things we could get the cost down considerably. We're looking at a minimum production run of 20. We'd need to sell ALL of them at $450 just to break even on our cash expenses - it wouldn't cover a dime of the time we put into this thing which was/is considerable.
  5. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For that price I would want the removable soft luggage supports to come with it.
    RufusBeazer likes this.
  6. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Any way you could partner with a touratech or another company with production capability and license the product? Perhaps this would help lower the cost to the $200 range as they could handle production, advertising, distribution. Just to rich for my blood as lot of other things take priority when it reaches that $450-$500 range.
  7. Ozav8r

Ozav8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Partner up with Touratech, in order to bring the price DOWN:hmmmmm That'd be a first:imaposer

Love the idea of this rack, but obviously market research needs to validate the concept. I really believe that the AT will be in the Honda stable for a while, so the longevity of the design work should be assured.
  8. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    We're continuing the development stage and currently working with the fabricator to determine if we can modify the design to gain some efficiencies in manufacturing without sacrificing quality and intended features. We haven't given up yet!
    abj likes this.
  9. abj

abj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, any update on the rack?
  10. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    We continuing but progressive is slow - hopefully we'll get there!
    abj likes this.
  11. SGTMacGyver

SGTMacGyver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So exactly how much integrity did the rack loose? I am considering doing the same thing and also eliminating
    the passenger seat. Then make a plate to replace the passenger seat like SW Motech or AltRiders.
  12. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Without the handles, I would not recommend mounting a top box. When not using my Mosko Moto Reckless 80 panniers, I have a MM Scout 25L duffle that I mount forward/back that extends onto the rack and that is working fine. I have no reservations about removing the handles - I'd to it again.
    abj likes this.
  13. SGTMacGyver

SGTMacGyver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good deal. I'm considering the Mosko Moto setup myself. with no top box.
  14. abj

abj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have the MM rackless 80l and removed the handle bars. I reinforced the rack with 2 alu straps attached to the subframe under the pillion seat. Good temporaty solution for my riding.
  15. Hypertech

Hypertech NOOB

Oddometer:
    Can I buy one from you now? Just got my AT and want to fix the plastic parts. Was thinking Rumbux protection for the rear but if I had your system I wouldn't be concerned about mounting the Tusk panniers to it.
  16. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Yes, PM me. Thanks.