African diaries (or When we were young)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thomas B., Aug 17, 2020.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Sounds like the motion carries.
    Thomas B. likes this.
  2. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    we still had time and money.........i love those words. hahaha, how many of us can. i have the time for sure but the others not so much. anyway, managed to save $ for the last 10 years and can't wait to do international travel on a bike...but the pandemic messed it up.

this thread continues..... you call Thomas and i will be following along.
    Watercat and Thomas B. like this.
  3. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Another vote to continue the adventure via India. I'm enjoying every post. Great memories.

Wayne
    Thomas B. and uncle m like this.
  4. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long Street.jpg It's a funny feeling, seeing on a USA based (?) forum, pictures on my hometown on the southern tip of Africa ( where I no longer reside), posted by someone from Europe, who'd ridden there by motorbike. Then to top it all....I see my old favourite mexican resturant!

Once again, thanks Thomas for sharing all these wonderful stories and pics, love it!
  5. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Ok, it's decided! We're going to India!!!!!
  6. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    And yes we're all under house arrest (more or less) with the messed up plans to fight with. It can hardly get worse for us bikers and the relief is sadly still a long way down the road (at least for us in Switzerland and Europe.)

We can just hope.

But I did put the batteries into all the bikes on the weekend. The weather was so warm and sunny. Sadly my injured foot is still too swollen to get into a MX boot. Maybe next weekend? We'll see.

Thanks for all your kind words.
    DKCJ, yamalama, scudo and 3 others like this.
  7. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Most of us are feeling the restrictions on traveling right now. That’s one of the reasons your diaries are so nice to read. Heal up well.
  8. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    I found out today that I can get my foot into my bike boot so the first ride of the year is not that far away. At least!
    scudo, squadraquota, Watercat and 4 others like this.
  9. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of Mauritius

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strange little guys were around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little island

[​IMG]
  10. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watching your tip through Africa has really made me think about the possibility of visit there! Glad to see you can get your foot in a boot! Time to throw the leg over and get out of the house!

Say HI to Mrs. B for me! Looking forward to the continuing story!
  11. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you ever really go. Africa is great.

Mrs. B. says HI too.
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    After a almost hassle free getting our bikes out of Dehli airport we had the plan to get to Nepal as soon as possible, because the trekking season was in full swing. In order to get to Nepal fast we thought we take the main road from Delhi to Calcutta. Big mistake. There was a lot of traffic and the traffic was mad. Totally mad. We learned about the law of the stronger and as a biker your pretty far down in the hierarchy. So if a car or a truck or a bus comes towards you on your side of the road (even although it shouldn’t be there) get off the road. Their stronger. Finding a place to sleep wasn’t easy either. Many hotels wouldn’t take us, because they weren’t allowed to take foreigners. No license. And the ones that did take us weren’t always very good.

Somehow we made it to Nepal and found a guest house in Kathmandu where we could leave our bikes and head for the mountains. We aimed for the Annapurna trek, that is really beautiful. I had done it 7 years ago and knew it was great and wanted to show it to Sandra. We had a great time and after getting back to Kathmandu we moved to Pokhara for a couple of days.

on the way to Nepal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our way to Nepal is on there - and the rest of the India/Nepal tour

[​IMG]

In Nepal towards Kathmandu

[​IMG]

Sightseeing in Kathmandu

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GringoRider, CruzCtrl, DKCJ and 19 others like this.
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Oh ya baby, most excellent!!!
    Thomas B. likes this.
  14. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any food issues in India?
  15. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks!!! Mauritius looks a lot different now. FAR more built up, and of course insane traffic. I was there last year (pre-corona) and was saddened and disappointed by all the changes.
    Thomas B. likes this.
  16. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just Wow!

1st - Thanks for sharing - incredible. You are / were blessed to be able to do these trips.

You were lucky to see Africa - as I'm sure since then the political situation in certain areas currently would block some of these routes.

I would love to ride in Africa - I must add this to my list. I've always wanted to see the Springboks play in Durban.

And I always loved the R80 G/S - not sure if I missed it but what did/have you done after the frame cracked again - other than the welding job? Type 247 motors will run forever. I had three R types & hope to have another depending upon my retirement palns.

Europe 1st - Espana or Portugal - buy a used moto & travel all over Europe to see Rugby, F1 & MotoGP all while eating grilled octopus & drinking red wine & maybe some German Beer!

Thomas, danke, dass du deine unglaublichen Abenteuer geteilt hast. Alles Gute für Sie und Ihre Frau.
    Lone Stranger likes this.
  17. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe he said he turned it over to the well known GS tuners HPN for their modifications to frame and paralever. If you don’t know of HPN do a search, they make some awesome bikes.
    LaurensT likes this.
  18. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, luckily Sandra and I have tough stomachs so no big problems with Indian food for us. Although I must say that the spices the Indian use do make my droppings thin. Its not like your running all the time, but when you go its thin. (nice subject) Every now and then you do catch a bug, but that's normal in countries like India.

The frame on the bike on this trip was a reinforced one from HPN already and when we got home I talked to them and they had no explanation for it. The frame was far from the end of its life and its not like I am doing jumps all the time. During the trip I could only weld it. Not much else I could do. Every time we stopped I would have a look under the tank for new cracks. I had to weld it four or five times until we reached South Africa. Luckily all the rest of the way home no more cracks appeared, but most of it was paved anyway. Back home I got a new reinforced frame from HPN (they did give me a special price) and that one is still in the bike today.

Tschüss

Thats right, I got some parts from HPN, although my bike is the pre Paralever model and the swingarm I have is without Paraveler, but is 100 mm (4") longer and has a second arm welded to it.
    LaurensT likes this.
  19. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Starting the Annapurna trek- this trek takes you around the Annapurna mountain range. It is multiple day and the highest point is the Throng La pass at over 5400 m.

[​IMG]

villages on the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cool bridges (see Sandra?)

[​IMG]

getting closer to the high ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

prayer walls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

doing your corn the old way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if you like mountains and hiking this is the place to go - just magnificent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

GringoRider, CruzCtrl, DKCJ and 17 others like this.
  20. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here we are behind the Annapurna range already at an altitude of around 4000m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple of yaks passing us

[​IMG]

spend a day at this lodge at 4200 m to acclimatize to the height for the push over the pass

joined some others for the company

[​IMG]
    GringoRider, CruzCtrl, DKCJ and 21 others like this.