1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

After Turkey Day Ride, Angeles National Forest, Palmdale, Ca.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GCRad1, Nov 26, 2006.

1. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I have been plotting, since the Rim of the World Rally [rally-cars] event held back in May, for me to come up and ride with him on some of the rally stages and some other routes. My buddy is new to the dual-sport action, but knows his way around the forest, as he is an avid Land Rover type of cat.

The week prior to Thanksgiving, I had three choices of rides; 1-California City as some friends where going for the long camp out weekend, 2-with my dirt bike buddies on a 2-day Barstow to Vegas trip, 3-with said friend from Palmdale in the Angeles National Forest.

Trip-2 got ruled out fast as it would have been a trip for my Honda XR400, but the IMS tank took a severe injury that for some reason I cannot seem to fix with the plastic weld [so much for field repair!]
    [​IMG]
    Either I am not reading the instructions properly or something is just not working... 3-tries and I am throwing in the towel!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry Chad, not riding with you and your dad! Next time!

Trip-1 As I love riding with John and his buddies, again, this would have been a weekend for the XR, and only one day for me. Major home project I am working on that is taking both Saturday and Sunday.

I got one day and was ready to make the most of it. Did the Big Bear area three weeks ago, so Angeles National Forest is the next big set of local mountains and hold some special meaning for me with the whole rally car thing happing there. Made the plans and last minute text, email, phone messages and we were set.

Friday morning: 8:00am Crazy Otto's Diner
    [​IMG]
  2. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to slap the knobs on slab for about an hour and a half / 120+ miles:
    [​IMG]

See flocks of these while making the trip up. They are either going to Hungry Valley or to the desert.
    [​IMG]

Finally show up here:
    [​IMG]

My buddy has the KTM 640ADV:
    [​IMG]

My sled-dawg:
    [​IMG]

HEY! Why does the 640ADV get a much better looking brake lever arm?
    [​IMG]
    Next question? Will it fit my 950ADV? Worry about that later, let’s go ride!

Sneak up and snap from the side:
    [​IMG]

Hey you! How much more of this slabby stuff?
    [​IMG]
  4. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, i see, that far - see "dem-hills-over-yonder?"
    [​IMG]

So plenty of time to snap one of these "RARE" 640's!
    [​IMG]
    Love my 950, but I would like to add one of these to my stable.

Another view from the bird's swooping maneuver view:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We finally approach the foothill and cross the water:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hill climbs quickly to a scenic view!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look closely and you may see that my buddy does not have knobbies, rather the simi-aggressive dual-sport type of tires. As this is his first real dealing with the dirt, this is the test run to see if he really wants knobbies.
  5. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See the 640-GO!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

hey look, the 950 sitting... time to saddle UP!
    [​IMG]

We finally reach to top of this hill to get a better look out to where we are going.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So we make way across the ridge.
    [​IMG]

And start to make our way down.
    [​IMG]

Quick view back down and out across there, Willow Springs Raceway is nestled on side of the mountain.
    [​IMG]

Down with ruts, nothing major, just flicking away on the camera:
    [​IMG]

We get into a thicket and obviously the wrong way.
    [​IMG]
    OK, get turned around and head back up out.

Found the right way down.
    [​IMG]

Hey look! This trail is for sale!!!
    [​IMG]

Little more slab:
    [​IMG]

This spot brings back so many memories:
    [​IMG]
    This is the cutoff that will take you up onto the mountain and between stage-10 and stage-11 [typically] for the Rim Of The World Rally.

At the top you come to the cross road, going left will take you to the starting position for stage.
    [​IMG]
    From this vantage point you can look out across the hills watch the cars make the climb but more, listen to the echoing exhuast of the cars heading out through the woods. Magic memories.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This stage is fast, blue-groved or hard packed with rocks strewn everywhere making for nothing consistant or constant, even if you have pacenotes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was truly something different for me to be coming down this road, one two wheels [intentionally] and able to take the time to look around. While looking, I saw these side roads that I had never seen before. So, flip a turn and go see where it goes. Nice little camping spot less than two-miles down this little road.
    [​IMG]
  6. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of more side roads leads to a bigger lookout and great camping spot with a view:
    [​IMG]
    The second lake in the back is the same lake we viewed from the other side where we came down to the "trail for sale."

One of my memories of this road was this:
    [​IMG]
    This section is the waterbar terror zone that clams so many rally cars! This car came upon this waterbar all crossed up and we instantly knew this was going to be pretty! I just kept the figer on the button and jumped back into the bushes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yea, OK slow motordrive on an old film camera, but you get the point. That is a 70K Mitsubishi rally car on it's second day of it's first race.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how it's done:
    [​IMG]

Down the road aways, if they are not going off into the thickets, then they just ball it up like this:
    [​IMG]
    Look at that six-lane wide of a freeway!
  7. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All this riding was making me hungry... time to roll off this side of the hill:
    [​IMG]

Little more slab to find the gas for me and the 9-fiddy:
    [​IMG]

Spunky Canyon Market is in Green Valley:
    [​IMG]
    Green Valley is a nice quiet little town.
    next door to the gas station is the human filling station:
    [​IMG]

During the lunch break, the plan was for us to run across yet another mountain and we head our separate ways. With the sun high in the sky and while viewing the map I figured I would make use of some more dirt roads before slabbing home.

So off to our next little slab-transit:
    [​IMG]
    It's great to have a tourguide for the day!!!

6N08=DIRT!
    [​IMG]

This road is AWESOME but almost halfway up I had to stop for a Ten-100.
    [​IMG]
    CB-talk for rest room visit.

Almost to the peak:
    [​IMG]

The summit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See that little ridge trial, that's what we are going down per my riding partners request but is openly admitting that he is a bit nervous about this decent. I look at it closely and don't see anything too severe, but he has gone down it before via Land Rover and states his case.
  8. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the decent began!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's noticeably steeper, rockier and rutted, but we make our way down. I noticed my man was a bit more cautious.

I thought we may have come through the roughest part and then it happed... those dang dual-sport tires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He rights it up and rides it down!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This dude got so mad that his truck would not climb the hill...
    [​IMG]
    He walked home... or rode out with a buddy... Funny if his truck climbed the hill... guys at the bottom was trying to sell me seatbelts and hubcaps for my 9-fiddy...

Naw man, it's not that steep!
    [​IMG]

See - told ya!
    [​IMG]
    Pictures never give you true justice!

[​IMG]
    I had to help my buddy and the hill was so step there was no way to set the bike on the stand, so I leaned it onto this little embankment.

[​IMG]
    A moment of victory! Very brief moment for this hill!

See those boots...
    [​IMG]
    YES, I'm sitting down.
    For the last big drop section, I spied this trail that traversed around and down... I figured this might be easier for him to come down, as he was just slap-beat-tired. The 640 was hot! Would not e-start and had to kick-start. While the trail looked a ton of fun it did have it's hiccups and gave the 640 the sputter stop. My bike was a ways ahead and leaning up on the embankment again as the trails was too narrow and no way was I going to put it on the stand to have it fall over and down the ravine. I hoofed it back over and two things happened. It got noticeably dark and that afternoon breeze started to kick in. I was sweating like a water sprinkler inside a pillowcase. I was actually getting a little nervous about getting caught out. Time to just relax and think it through. While I'm sitting here, he is looking out onto the trail as it traverses the ridge to the other side where we ultimately want to go.

I call this my "Big Foot spotting:
    [​IMG]

OK, so the decision is made to turn around and go back and face the demon - the last steep section. Why? Because while I am taking my "Big Foot" shot, he is looking across and a very steep uphill section that even I was a bit nervous about. So... after the relaxing moment, it was time to get this done and over.

Funny thing, we went back and rode down that last section of downhill and is was CAKE! I asked why did we even try to traverse around? Who made that choice? HEHEHEHE I was just trying to help a brother out!!!!

[​IMG]
    This was the actual darkness of how we finished our ride, and these silly flashes on the camera's can't even light the inside of a soup can.

So put it on manual and no-flash and give it some extra F-stop opening:
    [​IMG]

Two blurry geeks and I just thought I was tired:
    [​IMG]
    Now for my big-slab ride home! I think I was just excited about the whole day, that I was not tired on the ride home. But I was soaked and luckily brought another pair of gloves so my hands would not freeze on the way home. I got home and was soaked to my socks. Took my jacket off and watched sweat drip from the sleeves! Yea, maybe I should have taken the jacket off earlier during the day. But protection and then putting the jacket somewhere.. what the heck, ride ON!!! Luckily I did not freeze on the way home. Just what I needed - good hard ride!

Final trip mileage for the day:
    [​IMG]
    Total mileage of the 9-fiddyADV bobsled:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    nice report!! two :thumb :thumb .
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A good one :thumb
  11. MuddyMudskipper

MuddyMudskipper Er...um...really?

Oddometer:
    That was definitely a great ride and it was my pleasure playing tour guide for the day. I am definitely less "green" after that run. Oh and the dual sport tires suck!
  12. MuddyMudskipper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The water bar terror zone is no match for GCRAD1.

[​IMG]
  13. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    Nice report.

So exactly which roads were you on?
  14. bourkeco

bourkeco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where can you find maps of the roads you can ride in the San Gabs? Thanks
    Scott
  15. MuddyMudskipper

Oddometer:
    Well I don't have a map and the first road we took was some local trail with no real designation (that I know of) which takes you from the Lancaster side of the Antelope Valley, over the mountains into Lake Elizabeth. Then we took Lake Elizabeth road (west) to catch 7N23 (I beleive) east which took us to Lake Hughes. From there we went back towards Lake Elizabeth road and onto San Fransisquito Rd. to Spunky Canyon Rd. From Spunky Canyon we jumped onto Bouqet Canyon south to the northern entrance of the Rowher Flat OHV (adjacent to Bouquet Reservoir) area which eventually dumped us onto Sierra Highway from which you catch Highway 14.

http://socalcampi3.web103.discountasp.net/000angeles/sawmill.html

http://socalcampi3.web103.discountasp.net/000angeles/main.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreation/ohv-rowher.shtml

Other folks' Rowher experiences:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/events/dualsport/2003rowherflats/

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2003discovery/

GCRAD1 has maps so he might be able to give a bit more concise description as to what routes we took. I just know these places because I live around them.
  16. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    +1, those look like alot of fun.

Edit: just noticed I was late to the party
    :augie
  17. MuddyMudskipper

Oddometer:
    I have this book and have found it quite infomative for both my four and (now) two wheeled adventures.

http://www.4x4books.com/cas4wd.htm

18. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had the maps I picked up at the OffRoad Expo from the Forestry Service booth. Lot's of memories from the previous Rally Events and my co-driver has the route books that we used.

The course is roughly same each year. May be a fun ride to put together all the rally routes for a day trip, that would be alot of miles for a day trip as the event is usually ran over two days. OK, selected sections. We only ran two or three stages of the 14-stage rally event route.