AGM? Battery

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ReCycled, May 16, 2013.

1. ReCycled

ReCycled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased an AC/Delco ATX20HLBS battery through Amazon during a 1/2 price sale. It was sold as an AGM.

When I received it, I was surprised to find it dry shipped with a regular acid fill pack and plugs for the six cells. I have only seen AGM batteries that were sealed units.

Are AGMs dry shipped or was the product mislabelled?

TIA
  2. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not an AGM, send it back......

AGMs do not ship with acid....ever.
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes,,, it is an AGM battery. Many AGM's are dry shipped to preserve shelf life. Once you fill it, the caps seal the battey and you will never need to add water.
    concours likes this.
  4. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF! No they don't! Look up AGM, no they don't have acid in fluid form. BAD ADVICE FROM BOATMAN !!!!!!!
  5. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

You're confusing AGM with GEL.
  6. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    Um no I'm not, I know what AGM , Gel and old style lead acid wet acid batteries are. AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat. This is a 15 or more year old argument/discussion. Get with the program. I've had AGM batteries in my boats and bikes for at least that long.
    P.S. I am an electrical and chemical engineer, but one doesn't need to be either to know the difference in the batteries.

AGM batteries do NOT ship with fluid acid.
    Coma likes this.
  7. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worked for a battery mfg few years ago..

Boat man is right. You add the electrolyte, and it is ABSORBED in the glass mat. It does not matter when it is absorbed.

There is a specific procedure to fill and form those batteries and it must be followed to the letter.

Fill
    let sit some time.

Charge at some low rate for some specific time.

Caps get installed somewhere in the process.

Or you can throw away as much as 1/2 your battery capacity and life although 10% is more common.

Rod
  8. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, whatever. You're wrong but I exit stage left. AGM batteries do not ship with fluid acid.

Seeya dickheads. Good luck.
  9. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:

:clap
    R100PDave and katbeanz like this.
  10. jad3675

jad3675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yuasa begs to differ.

"Once filled with acid from its special packs, the AGM battery is virtually maintenance free."

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/batteries.php#anchormf

John
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    A wise man one told me you you see the faults in others you see in yourself.

Rod
  12. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well fuck me, I stand corrected and embarrassed, I've had dozens (yep) of AGM batteries that didn't have the acid separate, all totally sealed, I even bought a Motobatt AGM battery for a customer today and no acid.

Knowing the chemistry and manufacturing processes of battery companies that I worked for up to about 5 years ago, it's a newbie.....

All AGM batteries I've had anything to do with are sealed from the factory.

I don't really believe that batteries you have to add the acid to are real AGM ones....but may be wrong.
    Coma likes this.
  13. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    It takes a big man to , nearly, admit when he is wrong.

:rofl
  14. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah well the OP said it was an AC/Delco battery so I doubt it, but could be totally wrong as I'm obviously an ignoramous, that it's a real AGM, but who knows, it may be a supposed yuasa supposed AGM under a different brand name....
  15. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

:photog

Sounds just like an engineer... taught what to think, not how to think. :amazon :lol3
    brianbrannon likes this.
  16. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    How does the acid get into any AGM battery? Why can't it be filled by the end user? I bet the shelf life of a dry AGM is a lot longer that one that is filled and charged.

My Laverda RGS1000 is older than yours.
  17. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
  18. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every AGM battery I've had in the last 15 years was totally sealed. As I said self filled AGM is a newbie to me and we certainly never had them when I worked for the battery manufacturer,,,,,,

BTW your RGS can't be more than a year older than mine :)
  19. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the shelf life of real AGMs is good compared to wet lead acid batteries.

A waste of time onversation as Lithium Ion batteries are even better again.
  20. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most AGM these days is made in china. They begin to age as soon as they are filled, the better ones this is pretty slow rate.

A sealed AGM can be shipped any way. This has advantages.

The ones with acid bottles can only be shipped in container or by truck. They age at a much lower rate until activated. A vendor can keep more stock in the USA and provide a better product to the end user assuming they activate and form the battery correctly.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> This is a problem, how many battery customers have a voltage and current regulated power supply like I have? In practice, most customers do better with the sealed ones

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
    Once filled you can cut a hole in the case of either one and no free acid will spill. Both can be shipped by air or mail now. The acid is absorbed. Both are AGM Pick your preference and go on with life.

Rod