Air canada cargo question

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by markomarkovich, Jul 3, 2018.

1. markomarkovich

markomarkovich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am shipping my bike from Montreal to Rome in two weeks with air canada cargo as I fly with them as well. They are telling me I cannot put anything in the panniers other then parts that relate to the bike as in helmet, pants and jacket. I will be spending 5-6 months there with my girlfriend so we have quite a bunch of other things coming with us. Camping gear, clothes, etc. has anyone had any issues with taking everything out of the panniers and top case like this and having to take it with them as a carry on, on the flight?

I have heard stories that air canada tells you one thing on the phone and then when you show up to ship the bike with them it’s a whole different story and they are extremely laid back. Any suggestions if I should find a way to bring a large duffel bag and stuff it with all of the things they say I can’t leave on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I have shipped a bike with AC and you cant fly MSR fuel Canisters or jerry cans unless they are brand new + never had fuel in them.

In my cases I had tools, camping gear, bike parts, shoes etc......
  3. markomarkovich

markomarkovich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would they accept a old msr bottle that has absolutely no fuel odor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope!
  5. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices

Oddometer:
    Mrs Trip and I have a pair of these: https://www.rei.com/product/118870/rei-co-op-pack-duffel-bag made for holding backpacks for checked baggage. They are relatively light weight and fold up into their own pocket to transport. We carry them on our bikes, then use them to take our riding gear, etc. home when we fly. They are working great.
    We flew last year on AirTransat from Montreal and they let us put all our gear, tools, etc. in the panniers, top bags, and tank bags on the bikes.

I bought a new MSR bottle and left it with no cap on it in the bottle holster on my Wolfman Expedition panniers with no questions asked.
    Hope you have the same easy-going shipment that we did!
    Frgich likes this.
  6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gas is going to be a no-no. There again, 6 years ago they (not AC) shipped me out with a mostly empty tank (but enough left to fire it up and ride to the nearest gas station once in France).

Everything else, I'd be very surprised the guys would be so overzealous as to make you take your pants out of the panniers! Especially since bikes are a very inefficient way to pack weight.

They did however object to the alarm flashing on the dash, and had to put some markings next to it.
  7. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just remembered.

The dangerous goods guy told me that a lady motocyclist had "custom" fuel containers on her bike and she got very mad about not being able to fly them with the bike. But she was able to clean them thoroughly and put them in her checked luggage as the rules were more "lax" there when she flew herself out...

You did not hear this from me btw ...

In my case, I had a brand new MSR bottle and I just bought a new jerry can in South America.
  8. btko

btko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm also shipping to Paris from Calgary in a few weeks. Can you guys tell me what you've done for insurance or registration? Can I do it all at the airport when I land or do I have to get it sorted on this end? I'm shipping from Calgary to Paris
  9. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Frgich and MotoMigrant like this.
  10. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to be doing the same thing in a month I hope. Toronto to EU, doesn't really matter where, I'm going for cheapest as we are then riding to Slovenia where my wife is from. Just wondering, what are you guys paying for shipping to Frankfurt vs Paris? We'll probably go for Frankfurt as my wife is fluent in German. I heard Italy is an option too(?). Thanks
    PS-Stop by Slovenia for a beer!
  11. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bear in mind that Paris is nearly 600kms and over 5hrs west of Frankfurt. French autoroutes can have quite steep tolls, adding to the overall cost - although FFM is more north than you require. A decent scenic route through the Vosges and Lorraine could be devised, and joined up to more interesting parts of Germany.
    Or just hit the dull but rapid (and free) Autobahn from Frankfurt.

In my book Paris would be almost all of an extra day - but I could point you to some cheap digs and decent restaurants to enjoy along the way.
    MotoMigrant likes this.
  12. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Booked shipping of 800XC from Toronto to Frankfurt yesterday. Quoted $1100 Canadian Dollars. Told over phone that weight is not a factor. No pre-payment. Told to bring credit card when I show up in three weeks.
    Frgich likes this.
  13. akaDigger

Oddometer:
    I failed to mention that the quoted price was discounted $300 because I have an Air Canada ticket. $1400 without ticket.

You can ship with AC and fly with another carrier. You can probably save a few dollars doing so. I shopped but the direct AC flights and itineraries far outweighed the hassles of saving $50.
  14. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So that's $2800 return trip (I'm talking for myself, & not giving you advise because l don't know your itinerary) after having to get my Tiger all the way to Toronto & back (5k ml round trip) then sort out your own Euro insurance & documentation as well as be susceptible to breakdowns when l know l can hire a fully insured with breakdown service fully loaded Tiger for the same price for a month it wouldn't make any financial sense for me.

Do keep us updated on your Euro adventure tho Digger, l'm sure the weather will be kind to you.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  15. akaDigger

Oddometer:
    In case anyone is confused about pricing: $1400 Canadian Dollars equals roughly $1075 US. I have no idea if a discount may be available for round trip shipping. My bike will stay in Germany for the foreseeable future.

I hope to enjoy a two days ride to Toronto from southern Indiana. On the return flights, I have a three hour layover at Toronto before boarding a flight for home. Shipping, AC round trip ticket and American Airlines ticket home should set me back about $2000 US.

I was kind of shocked at the price of 30 days Green Card Insurance, over $250 US for liability only. Also, I don't know if there will be fees to pay at German Customs.
  16. MotoMigrant

Oddometer:
    I was quoted over the phone at $3000 per bike if I didn't buy my seat ticket with AirCan, but $1100 if I flew on the same plane, lol. I think they just make up the numbers sometimes. I haven't booked yet as we are in the process of renting our house out/moving all our stuff but I plan on doing it by the 15th of Sep, can't go much later as the deal ends by late September. As for the insurance, I too thought it was pricey and we have 2 bikes which we will be using till December, Ivo at MotoCamp in Bulgaria was cheapest at 140eur for 3 months per bike. http://www.motosapiens.org/
    Rhode trip likes this.
  17. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Not Air Canada and we flew into Dublin, but we had to pay about $80 to the receiving warehouse when we picked up the bikes.
    akaDigger likes this.
  18. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the offroad bike rental???
    I don't seem to be able to find any road legal bike rental opportunities unless l missed it in their ad.
  19. MotoMigrant

Oddometer:
    That was for green card insurance for a non EU bike. Not sure about rentals, you might just be better emailing them. There is also a guy in Zagreb renting bikes and Clutch Moto Tours in Ljubljana, Slovenia. That's all I got!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was at motocamp this past June and Ivo said they do not offer green card insurance any more. I was there for 3 days, what a great place to stay and ride.