Air compressor suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stroked 550, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    hey guys

Im looking for an air compressor I can hookup to my batteries to fill up my 35s on the jeep and other large tires on my trucks

What do you guys recommend?
  2. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stroked 550 and monkeydad like this.
  3. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
  5. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
  6. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has the biggest viair unit for his 5th wheel rv. Has no issue inflating those tires to 110psi and it does it fast. The big thing with the one he has is the 40 min run time before you need to let it cool.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/450p-rv-auto
  7. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Viair user here, just get the one sized for your needs, plenty of options.
  8. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Got a Viair 450 years back, and have zero complaints, especially with its 100% duty cycle. It fills truck tires (285-17) fast, and car tires so fast I really have to keep an eye on my gauge.
  9. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be a contrarian and say I would (and have) went this way, similar price to a Viair 450P-RV:

Dewalt-Flexvolt-Cordless-Compressor-Product-Shot.jpg
  10. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    i don't buy cordless anything anymore. the batteries go bad in a few years then you need to buy another one. if the vehicle has a battery (and alternator) that will be better.
    AtlantaViking likes this.
  11. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best possible option for on vehicle air is using a belt driven compressor (aka AC compressor). this fills fast and bonus you can use air tools. assuming you don't want to sacrifice AC this involves getting a 2nd compressor, building a custom bracket and getting a larger v-belt.

After this the decent electric compressors work ok. I can't remember the specific one I used but if I aired down 35s to single digit psi it would take about 5 mins a corner to get back up to highway psi. maybe there was a more powerful one I could have got though.
  12. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    You have to find an internally lubricated compressor such as an old York for that. Any modern (as in anything built in the past 30 years) vehicle will use a compressor which circulates the oil with the refrigerant that is not suitable for air compressor duty.
  13. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You jogged my memory and are indeed correct. I was looking at an Old York when considering this approach for on-board air.
    ydarg likes this.
  14. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    But its giant compared to the Vair and not really something you would want bouncing around in the back of a jeep when you are off roading.... Then the is the batteries, unless you have a way to charge them away from the house you only have so much time you can use it. Those batteries are not cheap so having extras will be costly.
  15. Astronaut Jones

Astronaut Jones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Presume you want to air up out in the wild or such?

No specific recommendations, but you can find many interesting comparison tests/reviews of portable 12 volt compressors online and on YouTube. None are going to be as fast as a big tank of air from the shop compressor. But there are some surprising differences between the little 12 volt compressors. Orders of magnitude differences in fact.
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  17. spurcap

spurcap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If speed is of the essence and storage space is not, another option is to get a sufficiently big air tank such as https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...r-tanks/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html. (Never tried this tank so not saying this is big enough for your application but could work out the math based on PSI of tank/volume of tank/volume of tires needing to be filled).

You can fill to high PSI with you shop compressor before you go and allows for speedy refilling after you air down the tires. Combined with a 12V compressor could also allow you to compress air when time permits (i.e. while sitting at camp) rather than when you are sitting at the side of a highway waiting to air up to drive home. If doing this though need to be aware of the output of your compressor/size of tank/duty cycle as a massive air tank to fill combined with a low cfm 12v compressor with a weak duty cycle will end up with a bad result.

EDIT: Running the math, I expect this would work for filling a little but is unlikely to get you anywhere close to filling 4x 35" tires from say 10 psi to 30.
  18. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I am not sure that having a pressurized vessel potentially bouncing around in the back of a jeep is a good idea. I know 150PSI or so does not seem like much but when a compressor tank with 120-150psi in them ruptures it can be incredibly destructive and can take off like a short term rocket if you knocked a fitting off.
  19. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    yeah im looking to air up out on the trails thanks thats a good idea I will check out youtube
  20. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Instead of one supersized, have you considered 2 regular duty pumps assuming you have more than one plug in? I understand about the heat cycle (you have to add about 2-5 lbs more on each tire after the first since the air is so hot and will cool down a few psi. This could be a way to save time and money.