Air Compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by craigt, Oct 13, 2019.

1. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    I am in the market for an air compressor. I have one that just does not put out the CFMS that I need. So I am looking to get a new one, well new to me. I am looking at a few of them and I was wanting your advice.

I am needing one that I can run a Vaporblaster, motorcycle lift, sandblaster and air tools, not all at the same time. The vaporblaster uses about 10cfms at 90 PSI. I am just not sure if I want to go commercial and 220v or with a 110 hobbyist type. I would rather have more air than I need than not enough. I do not want to buy another air compressor down the road. I do have 220v plugs and a place to put a larger air compressor that is covered and out of the elements.

1st up is a "Kellogg model B335BL twin cylinder air compressor 5hp 220 single phase 80 gal tank runs great no leaks". The guy who has it says that he will sell it to me for $300, it seems that I can still get parts for it. It was used in a body shop so it has some pretty extensive use.

2nd up is the good old Kobalt 80 gal 5hp 240v. $450 used.

3rd is a Dewalt that runs off 110 and it says it will put out the cfms and it cost $1000 new with a 60 gal tank.
  2. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    #1 sounds the most promising thou older could be worn out.

Something to look for is the scfm at what psi, they usually list it at less than 90psi and then lower at 120psi. I would not expect anything 110volt to keep up.
    local1 likes this.
  3. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    I am leaning towards the Kellogg (commercial) due to it can be rebuilt.
    As for the 110volt I have one that has the minimum CFI is to run the vapor Blaster, however it can't keep up even at low pressures. So that's what I'm worried about with another 110 volt.
    The gym one has the Kellogg will hook it up and let me see it run oh, he even said that I could bring some soapy water and check for air leaks if I wanted to. And the price period and the price tag is pretty good.
  4. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd verify you can get parts to rebuild the compressor and arent super expensive, everything else can easily be replaced. Also make sure there is a drain and you dont get a gallon of water out.
    ozmoses likes this.
  5. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    @1greenmachine I will verify all the parts, Kellog makes a rebuild kit for the motor and is still making that motor. I will also verify the drain plug and that it has not been sitting full of water.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  6. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it’s the horizonal tank with YEAR 1979 on tank save your money. Body shops use air all day long.Pump always sucking in dirty air. Dirty oil wears crank,cylinder walls.Oily tanks show it’s not been serviced,bad seals.Its not hard to dump $600 into rebuilding a pump.Say tank and motor shit.Theres a grand.+300+600 you are now into commercial new outfit.
    Look for clean oil .Timing it from 0 psi to full will tell cfms it’s pumping.Im guessing it should be around 14-17 cfms,about 8 minutes to 165 psi.Ball park.
    Rebuild kits don’t add tolerance to cranks and cylinder walls.
    I rebuild a bunch of pumps but never a Kellogg. They say they’re excellent pumps but you got to take in consideration where it came from.
  7. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the Kellog.
    [​IMG]
  8. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let’s say that is in the United States.lol
    If it pumps good roll the dice and get a new tank.That tank is most likely real rusty inside and old.
    Take inspection plate off pump,roll fly wheel back n forth ,look for play at rod and crank.Rod and wrist pin.
    Some rods will accept over size bearings at the crank,not sure about Kellogg.Like I said above they say there great pumps.
    That pump might only need an outer crank seal,remove flywheel to do that.Its leaking from some where?
    Other than rusty tank and oil leak it looks clean for being in a body shop.
  9. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great advice and wisdom @YesRush . I just found out some more about the compressor now that I knew more about what to ask. It came from a shop that he ran on the side, it was made in the mid-eighties he said but he was not looking at the compressor. He is selling it due to he does not do work on the side anymore. It spent its life inside and he says that it was in the clean part not the shop part. He said that it has not been rebuild that he can remember and that it does not leak. He is going to move it somewhere that we can meet that has 220v so that he can hook it up to run and for me to look it over. It is located about an hour away so I am going to go look at it tomorrow. If you think of anything else that I should look at let me know. Should I take soapy water to spray on the tank where stuff is connected?
  10. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Oh and here is the other side of it.

[​IMG]
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worst case you clean it up and list it on CL and get your money back.
  12. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    After timing it from 0 to full see what gauge says psi is.Google 80 gallon tank x time =cfms
    If it’s at 150 psi at 8 minutes load it up in your truck.
    By the gauge is the pressure shut off.If he only wires the motor ,let it fill to 150 before shutting off.
    Offer less if longer than 10 minutes,maybe walk if over 15 minutes.
    Pin hole appear at bottoms.Just run hand under it.
  13. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rods are worth a hundred bucks a piece.And 5 hp motors aren’t cheap.Its a good deal if it pumps good.Even after buying a new tank down the road if a pin hole appears.
    That top plate could be cut off the tank and put anywhere and then plum to the tank.
    I have a duplex like that.Roll tank where I want.
    [​IMG]
  14. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice setup, for comparison I dropped over $300 on a husky 30 gallon that does what I need but once the tank goes it's all junk.
    YesRush likes this.
  15. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a 3 phase motor and is the pressure switch wired to anything (starter)?
  17. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pressure switch wire was cut off.I’d buy a soft start,wire pressure switch and motor in that with power going into it.About $80.
  18. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    @YesRush
    It is going to be on my trailer in a few hours if it all checks out! Thanks for the information, so do I need to adjust the time to 150 psi down? Also what looks like leaking oil is that a major concern, or is it just a matter of replacing the gasket?

@divotdm I was told it was a single phase 220v. Do you know how I can verify this?

Thank everyone for all of your help, I am getting pretty excited. I hope that after I get it wired in tomorrow my days of not enough air will be over once and for all. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it all checks out and is as good a the gentleman says it is. I will keep you posted.
  19. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear
  20. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Well I drove an hour and forty-five min one way and I got there and it would not work, so he thought it was a leg of his 220. So I was looking over some stuff and like @divotdm said it ended up being three-phase. The gentleman was mortified! He tried to find another 5hp single phase motor to put on it and could not find one. So he offered to pay for my time and gas as well to take me to a nice steak place, I declined. He was truly apologetic. He thought the only thing in his shop that was 3-phase was his welder.

The compressor was in great condition, in fact much better condition than I was expecting. I am disappointed but not mad, it was an honest mistake on his end. I know next time to have people send me pics of the plates before I drive.

So I am still looking for a single-phase compressor if you know where one is. I think I am pretty well set that I want a real compressor not a big box store compressor after doing a ton of research.

Thanks for all of your help, you truly made it a lot easier for me. The quest will continue for now.
    Stasher1, mike and ausfahrt like this.