Air Filter Talk

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by truckergemi, Dec 10, 2019.

1. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So lots of dirt got in the motor. 20200918_142835.jpg 20200918_144710.jpg
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I currently have the same issue. Did you replace the airbox or go some other route? We aren't the only ones that got bit by the improper UNI filter design.

I'm toying with a few possible solutions to get me to the dead of winter when I'll have more time to mess with it and perhaps there will be some interesting options out.
    Noyah likes this.
  3. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my solution 20200918_182926_HDR.jpg
    No-Fret, windblown101, KojiKP and 2 others like this.
  4. DucSyd

DucSyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To windblown101 what was the issue with the Uni Filter? I am running this with snorkel pre filters and mine is perfect. Just got back from a 6 day ride in dusty conditions and it is clean.
    Just curious.
    Thanks
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Specifically I'm talking about the Aussie UNI filter with the metal frame. The sealing rubber used on it is quite hard and a bit too thick. This generates a lot of pressure against the airbox when the wedge is pushed home which would be great except the airbox side is not designed with enough strength to stay true with that much pressure on it and the top center of the airbox side warps away from the filter seal. This lets dust get sucked in at the top and completely bypass the filter.
    Flatroads likes this.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    @DucSyd

Here are some photos to demonstrate. I greased the seal. Installed it in the airbox and seated the retaining wedge.

You can see that the grease got squeezed out everywhere except at the top where the air filter seal never even touched the airbox sealing edge.

20200919_193235.jpg 20200919_193243.jpg 20200919_193246.jpg 20200919_193253.jpg
    Noyah, Flatroads and EvilSteve like this.
  7. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    I took the airbox out and cleaned it, throttle body valves was clean so I think I’m safe for now.
    Was out riding this weekend and the box looks better this time around.
    Quite a lot of overflow from crankcase when I looked. And a O-ring from air temp sensor

Amazed how much the bike kicks up dust, snorkels socks looked horrible even tho I’m up front of the pack navigating the entire weekend.
    BHoward, windblown101 and EvilSteve like this.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yep. It's great that KTM moved the filter on the big bikes out from under the tank but kind of wish they had put it where the battery is and moved the battery back. I ride mostly solo and have noticed the filter gets a pretty good workout.
    SoilSampleDave and No-Fret like this.
  9. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the KTM pre filter and the filter sock from Uni on my 1290 because you can't get to the airfilter to clean it. On the 790, I just end up cleaning the prefilter like all the time. If I'm going on a long, multi-day ride offroad, I'll take the 2 spare Rottweiler prefilters in a bag already oiled up. I've removed the snorkels which you could argue puts the intake location closer to the tail which ingests a lot of dust.
    BHoward and Noyah like this.
  10. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry a few pre-oiled Rottweiler Power plate duel density filters as well while on multi day trips. Best idea ever.
    The 1190 I have the Rottweiler intake with a few pre-filters as well. It normally takes 15 or 20 minutes to get to the 1190 air filter however my record is 9 minutes.
    Noyah, EvilSteve and windblown101 like this.
  11. relz

relz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I seem to be in the same boat, here in Israel.
    I just ordered the Guglatech air filter, but can't find anyone who'll ship this Rock Oil stuff to Israel (besides bestrest who sell a tiny bottle, and the shipping to here costs more than double the cost of the oil).

Can anyone here recommend a good substitute oil for using with this filter?
    From what I saw in the thread the only other oil that @guglemonster recommends is the K&N cotton filter stuff. I'd prefer a water washable solution if such exists...
    guglemonster likes this.
  12. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    I borrowed a little Rock Oil from a buddy on a riding trip recently, and found that it looked and smelled exactly like No Toil red filter oil, which is also water soluble.
  13. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    filter will arrive Desert Ready, meaning oiled and prepped for the Desert, we cannot ship the Rock Oil, sorry, if you wish to use another oil, follow than their procedure, no petrol-based oil in the drain please ;) do not use No Toil, we had reports of very poor dust trapping, we did not test it on our matrix though

got with a cotton or foam oil, and grease the rim (plus our Frame fix )

cheers and thank you
  14. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    the smell comes from the alcohol base, how can you tell if the oil/liquid will perform equally? it's there to trap particle smaller than 10 microns, use a foam oil from a good brand instead

I cannot recommend it, sorry
  15. relz

relz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK. I promise to try to not dump any petrol based oil in the drain...
    just wanted to confirm that standard oils and detergents sold locally such as K&N, Motorex, Putoline etc. won't harm your filter.
    guglemonster likes this.
  16. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    we tested K&N, no big deal, many customers use Motul, some Motorex, unless you use solvents or pure petrol, the products recommended by any producer to clean their stuff should be pretty safe for our filters too, notoil excluded ;)
  17. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Hello @guglemonster, could you please provide more detail on your "frame fix"?
    guglemonster likes this.
  18. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    we even made a video ;) and all pictures are on our web too ;)

with such a hard frame I doubt it may help, UNI is really problematic deforming the plastic wedges in some cases

here's the video

one of our in mates, to "fix the uni", had to use a file and working some time to even-up the surface and allow normal closing, cannot remember his nick though, sorry

cheers
  19. MPNX2

MPNX2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the final solution to the air filter issues? Were these issues carried over to the 890 models. I would like to get ahead of the problem if I can
  20. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cjracer, sonoran, roookie1 and 12 others like this.