Air freight & storage in SE Asia

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by slowriding, Oct 28, 2018.

1. slowriding

slowriding Dopeless Hope Fiend Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a DR650 sitting in my garage for the last 2 years and need to do something with it. Has anyone recently air shipped from the west coast of the USA to SE Asia? I would like to station a bike there for return trips, is long term storage realistic?
  2. mutanic

mutanic Ride for peace of mind

Oddometer:
    Ship to which country? If it's to Malaysia, check out with this company :

www.penfrt.com

[​IMG]

How long do you plan to leave the bike?
  3. slowriding

Oddometer:
    Mutanic, thanks for the information. I am flexible with where I initially send the bike but I want to leave it for 2-3 years. Is it possible to leave a foreign registered bike or is it better to buy a local bike?
  4. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    In theory a foreign registered bike should only stay for up to 6 months, the other problem Thailand now requires foreign registered vehicles to have a guide and you cannot take one into Vietnam at all so it is probably easier to buy locally.
  5. slowriding

Oddometer:
    Mark, if I got this right, to avoid needing a guide I would need a Thai registered bike and that bike can mostly go anywhere but Vietnam? If I want to see Vietnam I would have to rent a local bike?
    Please excuse my being a bit thick, it's still morning coffee time for me.
  6. mutanic

Oddometer:
    So better rent a bike instead, why spend more just to pay the storage cost or even buy a used bike which intended for temporary use? If you need to rent a bike, I might be able to assist you over here. Plus, foreign vehicle is limited on how long it's allowed to stay in the country, so your plan to leave it up to 2,3 years might not suit you.
  7. mutanic

Oddometer:
    One of Malaysian rider recently ride his Benelli TRK up to Vietnam border, but for some reason he's not allowed to enter Vietnam & ordered to turn back. Better get a proper guide from Vietnamese authority to avoid such experience later.
  8. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they introduced the need for a guide a couple of years ago, I am not sure if you need to be a resident to buy there but plenty of foreigners seem to have bikes there.
    Vietnam has never officially allowed foreign registered vehicles in but a few people have managed to get them in from time to time.
    Laos also has restrictions on foreign vehicles but I don't know if this applies to ones registered in SE Asia, the bottom line is it is easier to rent or buy locally.
  9. slowriding

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of you. Looks like I will rent a bike in each country that I visit. Guess I'll put the DR up for sale.