Air horns/compressor???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CodeMonkee, Aug 11, 2001.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Cycle Gadgets web site in reference to the RBL thread and noticed they sell an Air Horn kit that includes an air compressor.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/BMW/RTAirhorn.htm

Besides the fact that I would like a much louder horn, I would also like an air compressor, which the horns come with.

I was wondering if such a compressor would be good for anything besides the horns - like airing up low tires?

Thanks,
    Lauren
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That's kinda doubtful, Lauren...they are usually pretty low pressure guys.

I got a compressor at Costco for $20 that theoretically goes to 250psi. I know it will air up a bike tire no problem. Keep it in my right saddlebag just on top of the stop-n-go plugger kit.

But the airhorn idea...whoa. I've got a pair of fiamms on the GS and they are way loud, but it would be kinda cool to be able to actually move things out of the way with sound.
  3. Colonel

Colonel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be VERY interested in something much (as in > 10dB) louder than my dual "131 dB" (liars!) Fiamm horns. After a few high speeds runs in the rain, they barely squeek (well, comparatively).

The key is, just what, EXACTLY, is the output pressure of the air horn compressor? I need to eliminate every possible gram from what is carried, as it all keeps adding up, and up, ...

Air horns generally direct their blast much more directionally, and seem to 'carry' better than anything else. If the compressor will just put out enough pressure, it would be a wonderful dual purpose device.
  4. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    I suppose that if your goal is to accessorize your bike with an air compressor, then the air horns may be the way to go. With the heavy accessorization of these bikes I already see, I'd guess the size and mass of these units might not bother you. There's a fairly detailed article on Gary Wasserman's installation of the Hella airhorn kit on an Oilhead RS right here.

But if you are looking for LOUD horns and a svelte installation, you might consider the Hella horn set that you can buy from Griot's Garage. Although pricy ($70), these all-metal horns are loud, they mount in about the space of the Fiamms, and when installed by someone who isn't a metal butcher, one might guess that they were factory items.

Joe Bob says check em out.

- Sparky

Attached Files:

5. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I've never figured out the horn thing. I have Fiamm's and I agree with Colonel: they're lame at 70 mph.

A buddy of mine went to the dealership and bought a Z3 replacement horn. Not bad! Much better than the aftermarket Fiamm's I bought, and probably what I'll go with unless one of youz guys has a better idea.

Another guy I know bought some seriously bad [​IMG] 18" truck horns, complete with compressor & air tank which he somehow managed to fit on his valkyrie.

They look totally un-GSlike, but hoo-waah, I'm tellin' ya, when he hits the horn button, everybody moves. Imagine suddenly thinking you've got a fire engine on your butt and you'll know what the drivers are thinking. :eek2

Not satisfied with sounding like a Mack truck, he's mounting horns from a locomotive (pic below) :evil
  6. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the installation of Hella horns something I should ask of a dealer or is this something I can do myself? Metalwork was mentioned in the previous post - do you mean cutting the bike??!

-thanks

Flash
  7. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    The Hellas of my post bolt right on. If you stock horns aren't under a fairing, then there should be no interference with factory stuff.

The Hellar air horns are a different matter.

- S