Airbag Jacket any good? ( Hit Air Safermoto jacket & vest)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mikeyoda, Dec 20, 2009.

1. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak to the Helite, but the Hit Air vest is small enough to fit into a pannier depending on how full your cases are. I bought mine with the back and chest protector and unless you un-velcro the chest protector it won’t roll since it’s made from a hard ‘plastic’. It’s not a big deal to un-velcro. Not something you have to worry about with the Helite, so rolling it up might be an option.

As for the back protector(s), I still wear both. For me, I’m just used to the way my jackets fit with the back protector in place so I keep it in, YMMV.

The only downsides I’ve found are that with either of these vests, it tends to obstruct the vents on my jackets and with the weather warming up you can definitely tell a difference. With that is also the downside that you won’t be able to quickly access whatever stuff you carry in your jacket pockets unless you unsnap the vest first. Not a big deal, but after getting all suited up, I always remember that I need to get to one of my pockets again.
  2. Blobby

Blobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks RJK.

Helite came to my home yesterday to demo their Turtle air vest and I've ordered one for delivery tomorrow. While it has a SAS-Tec back protector fitted to the outside of the jacket (so the air bag is sandwiched between that and your back for better protection) its still flexible enough to roll up and put in a side pannier. Obviously the only bit which won't bend if the CO2 gas cylinder.
  3. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good deal.

FWIW, I normally wear mine with the jacket even when off the bike and I take it off as one unit if/when I take the jacket off.

It's one less thing to gear up with when getting ready to ride again and saves time.

I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you after wearing it a few times.
  4. tinitini

tinitini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be carefull with this : the shock of the air bag inflating could transform the content of your pockets into deadly weapons. Usually, it's bad practice to carry hard edged stuff between the air bag jacket and your body
  5. pepeps

pepeps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the reflective vest one last year and wore it religiously. Had it on for a low speed low side where it deployed; no injury but it was a low speed fall.
    I consider myself a safety freak but eventually stopped using it. It got to be a nuisance to deal w the weight, extra clasps, etc. If I don't sell it I may wear it on my occasional outings to the racetrack.
  6. tstang

tstang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone have any experience with this: http://www.air-vest.com/product/HA-NW.htm

also, kind of confused about the differences between all the MLV versions, and between the MLV versions and the YS one. I've tried reading on this site, but it has an impressively shitty layout and sparse information. Anyone familiar with why the MLV-P costs over $100 more than the YS?
  7. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Some of it is no different . Got my last pull cord from Equestrian dealer in Vancouver due to motorcycle dealer being dead from the neck up . Doesn't stock plug cords etc.
  8. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about ear plugs, putting a CC or cash, etc...plus mine is a vest so it goes over a real jacket...so it's more like vest, stuff in pockets, jacket, and body:D...I hear what you're saying though, thx.

That's what I've been talking about. I own the MLV reflective vest. The MLV is more expensive because it protects more areas of your body (front, back, sides, and cervical). The YS appears to only inflate the neck and lower back.

Expand both pics from the thumb nails and put them side by side. You'll see, it'll be pretty obvious now.
  9. tstang

tstang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, beautiful -- thanks :thumb
  10. n8mandy

n8mandy PadreN8

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" and about 190 lbs. Does anyone know if the large MLV-PB would be a good size for me? I'd wear it over my armored jacket or riding suit.
  11. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
  12. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just also posted on this : http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ith-bmw-and-new-dainese-d-air-misano.1099600/

BMW is also working with A* for a system.

In what kind of crash do you stay on the bike btw? I use the Helite Turtle and think it is nice. I think there are upsides and downsides to both.
    Although a good functioning electronic system seems nice as you can switch around bikes as well.
  13. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    The main reason I end up with hit was the fact that for 4 year every once in a while I search cragslist for a used one . 2 Year ago I go one for 150 bucks and I ve wanted something like this for 10 years. Before the vest I wore full gear including a neck brace .
  14. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Know this post is a year old,but the YS vest has full inflation front,rear,sides,neck.

Actually think the airbags are a bit larger than on the MLV series.
    The MLV is more $ due to more intricate design and production(sewing)costs,as has been stated in earlier posts in this thread.
    I own the YS.

JR356
  15. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    What the size and threading of the 6 MM bolt that you use to reset the keyway ofter using the vest? thanks
  16. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't get a quick answer,I'll try to get those measurements in the next few days.

JR356
  17. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    Thanks misplace the kit with the bolt in it.
  18. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (Not sure if this thread is considered old enough wrt "dont re-start old threads" rule, so my apologies)
    (I've been absent from bikes and these forums since these last posts :( )
    @cyclegirl @jmardy Thanks for those responses. :thumb

I'm wondering, being 2 years later, what's been your findings on the latest developments with this tech; has anyone upgraded to more recent?
  19. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought two Helite adventure jackets for my two sons last year. They claim to inflate faster than the Hit-Air units. My boys like them and are "sold" on the airbag technology. I don't have any plans to upgrade to the $1500+ electronic versions. The Helite/Hit-Air cable-pullers work for me.
    AZQKR likes this.
  20. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode in with my Turtle II for the first time this morning over my Klim mesh jacket. A little heavier than without but nothing crazy. Looking forward to putting some miles on it.