Airbag Jacket any good? ( Hit Air Safermoto jacket & vest)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mikeyoda, Dec 20, 2009.

1. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have a Hit-Air vest.
    A couple years back the inflation time was reduced to 0.25 seconds. The older units inflated in 0.5 seconds.

What is the advertised inflation time for the helite?

I had the opportunity to "test" my unit while off-roading when I ran into a den of marmots.....
    similar to gophers. Their community is like a giant ant hill. When I hit it at about 15 - 20mph
    my front wheel immediately sunk in up to the axle and I went over the handlebars.
    Long story short - I think the vest saved my ass.
    G19Tony and c_m_shooter like this.
  2. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have one shot and then you have to send it in for re-arming - so the rest of your ride is sans airbag and you are out a few hundred bucks. oh- BOLD!!!!!
    KingOfFleece and Travman like this.
  3. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turtle 2 Airbag Vest is 0.1 second.
    AZQKR and JRWooden like this.
  4. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Yes but unlike the one time mine deployed it was useless due to being lanyard based. Due to how my scooter when down and I came off the bike and I didn't not separate till I was already sliding . It didn't inflate till after I was on the ground . I had time to think well fuck me I hope this thing doesn't deploy now since its 25 bucks for CO2 canister that only cost them .25 cents . It s useless since I ve aready hit the ground. It also took a week to get another CO2 canister . I guess my point is there is enough force it will deploy but the other non lanyard base air vest well always deploy . What happen to me can't happen with one of them. I was sliding with the scooter less then a one foot from me. Since I went backward the lanyard didn't deploy and yes it was the right length . The new system work no matter what happens . Rear end , side swiped etc. It base on gforce etc and I feel is better .
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    That's the D-air you are talking about?
    Ok... I'll put them on my :topes list.

The hit-air has lanyard and can be re-armed and "re-packed" in the field (if you carry a spare CO2) in less than 10 minutes.
    Probably less than 5 minutes if you have "experience"

I do agree that the CO2 canisters should be maybe $5 not $25 but I don't buy very many .... :lol3
    and I've not found an alternate source that I trust ...
    Has anyone else found a 3rd-party source?
    What else are these big CO2 canisters used for?
    rafso likes this.
  6. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The point2 uses a proprietary cartridge. Helite and Hitair use a standard cartridge also seen in life vests (boating and aviation). Therefore, there are plenty of third party suppliers, but the $25 price seems quite standard. The Helite has the faster deployment time and I particularly like the added neck roll that immobilized the head. I usually keep one spare CO2 cartridge on the bike. If you are on the fence about buying one, buy a Helite and use the discount code MotoPro10 for a 10% discount.
    AZQKR and JRWooden like this.
  7. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes that's my point. What you gain in certain areas you lose in others. The D-air is probably a good track system, or for local rides, but it is an expensive system that requires charging of electronics and a costly, time consuming recharge of the inflation system. I have a hit air, and find it non intrusive, light and comfortable.
    JRWooden likes this.
  8. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted a slightly modified version of this in another thread-
    "It's hard to find real world studies (using crash test dummies, not computer modeling) on airbag vests, but the one I did- where they ran a bike into the side of a car at 37 mph (40 kph) suggested less than .08 sec impact to full inflation time was required. Their data showed the impact on the ribs dropping from a max of 250 g to something around 11 g..
    Study (in french) here: http://sra.asso.fr/sites/default/files/PDF/Communication/protection_motards.pdf

So although expensive the D-air (it has a 5 year return for examination interval) has a claimed inflation time of .045 sec
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  9. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    An electronic system would be a more attractive option as a vest I could wear over my existing gear.
  10. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You asked and Dainese created it: the new D-Air Smart vest has just been launched.

[​IMG]
    jspringator likes this.
  11. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Sadly on neck or collar bone protection . 300 bucks to get recharged if it goes off and only at the few dealerships that are trained by dainese . Dont get me wrong at 699 it s price good but there are draw backs I dont like . if you ride a zero electric etc you SOL because it only works if it senses vibration . if you forget to hock the 2 magnets together at the neck and it will not work . I ll stick with hit air for now . I only into it for 150.00 6 years ago used . One day I get something like this new .
  12. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been riding with the Hit-Air for ~9 years now. I have had a few tethers chewed up in wheels/chains by my stupidity in failing to attach. While the electronic system would help that, you still need to remember to charge. I like the mechanical simplicity of the tether. My actual main complaint is airflow. To me, the ideal solution would be to have Klim incorporate this technology into their waterproof jacket with some innovation to improve airflow.
  13. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are saying it is mesh. If so it would be better than my Helite.
  14. Peanut_Buttery

Oddometer:
    My tether-based airbag failed to work in a crash. Hence I switched to an Alpinestars Tech-Air jacket.

Aside from being more sophisticated, I’m also finding the Tech-Air is more convenient. The weight distribution is better and means it feels lighter on the bike. I know the system’s armed because a quick glance at my forearm shows the airbag status. You can’t forget to hook the magnets together, thanks to a flashing red light to remind you. Whereas there’s no reminder if you forget to attach a tether. The only downside is the Tech-Air’s price. (Though you get what you pay for.)

Charging the airbag is just like charging a mobile phone, a single charge lasts 26 hours of riding time and it automatically goes into power save mode off the bike. The internal gyroscope and accelerometers mean it’ll work on any bike including electric bikes.

The Tech-Air system feels less hassle than my tether-based airbag. While it needs sending back to Alpinestars if you crash, how many crashes a day do you plan on having?

stk0308 likes this.
  15. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if i can ask, what happened with your tether-based airbag in the crash? Could be educational for those of us with that system. thanks....
  16. Peanut_Buttery

Oddometer:
    I had the tether set up correctly and was out for a ride when another vehicle collided with me. I was sent flying! The rip cord pulled correctly, but the CO2 cartridge failed to inflate. I sent the airbag jacket back to the manufacturer with a complaint, but never received an explanation why the system had failed, and I was never able to figure out what went wrong. Perhaps there was a faulty batch.

I much prefer the Tech-Air over lower tech airbags, as there are many years of MotoGP engineering in the Tech-Air system. I imagine the D-Air is also excellent, but I prefer the fact that the Tech-Air doesn’t require a GPS signal like the Dainese system.
    stk0308 and hamiamham like this.
  17. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride.

Oddometer:
    Which manufacturer, which model air vest, and how old was it.
  18. Peanut_Buttery

Oddometer:
    It was a relatively new Spidi DPS Neck airbag. However, I strongly suspect Spidi uses Hit-Air’s Double Neck airbag because the two look identical.

Either way, I wouldn’t go back to a tether-based system now.
  19. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tech-Air looks awesome, but they went full retard when they made two different versions of it. You can't get one vest and have it fit in both a touring style jacket, and a track style jacket. I went with a Hit-Air vest as a result.
  20. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride.

Oddometer:
    I’m happy with Hit-Air and trust the vest.

What I’m mostly curious about is what happened after you sent your Spidi vest back, you say they gave no explanation but what did they do, send you a replacement? I think (and hope) the chances of a bad batch being sold and not recalled immediately it was known that there was a problem is remote. Surely no company is that psychotic that they’ll leave non functional air vests out on the street.