Airbag Jacket any good? ( Hit Air Safermoto jacket & vest)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mikeyoda, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, although you can get quite close: the Tech-Air Race airbag can switch between race and street algorithms, and it's compatible with waterproof jackets like the T-Missile Drystar as well as more track-focused jackets.

I've no doubt the Tech-Air is significantly more protective because of its rapid inflation time, but Hit-Air is a lot cheaper.

Rapid inflation seems to be critical to protection, judging by Germany's ADAC tests of motorcycle airbags.
    HarveyM likes this.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I melted a tether on my hit-air shortly after getting it.
    I got a strong magnet out of a hard drive and glued it to the jacket-end of the tether,
    so now when I get off the bike I "stick" it to the crash bar for safety/convenience
  3. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flying with air vest in luggage ?
  4. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't bring the CO2 cartridge on a plane, so tethered vests will need one purchased (or mailed to) the destination. Car airbags are out, so I assume the electronic airbag vests are too.
    "Here is something we don’t see too often, an air bag! Air bags are basically inflated using a small explosive actuator. These actuators are a big no-no! They aren’t allowed in carry-on or checked bags. The airbag on the left was discovered at Boston International Airport on September 20. On the right was discovered at Baltimore Washington Airport on September 21."
    https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2019/09/25/tsa-week-review-september-16-22
  5. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
    Unless something changed from 2012, you can and I did (tethered airbag with a CO2 cartridge installed). I was on a trip to USA when i bought my Hit-Air vest, so I had it with me both on an internal US flight (Orlando to New York) and on a flight from US to Ukraine. I can't for the life of me remember where it was, cabin or checked.
    Apparently these things are in the same category as personal floatation devices and you have a right to bring your own.
  6. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was surprised to read the above because I have airline travelled several times with my airbag vest or jacket sans CO2 cartridges. ( I shipped them separately)

Here is a cut & paste from the TSA:

CO2 Cartridge

• Carry On Bags: No
    • Checked Bags: No
    Except for personal medical oxygen cylinders, you can only carry an EMPTY compressed gas cylinder onboard a plane. To be permitted (in either carry-on or checked baggage), it must be clearly visible to the TSA officer that the cylinder is empty.

CO2 Cartridge for Life Vest

• Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
    • Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
    You may bring a life vest with up to two CO2 cartridges inside, plus two spare cartridges in your carry-on or checked bag.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

You may not transport CO2 cartridges without the associated lifejacket.

Now, I'm not doubting that the above poster was able to bring his vest with cartridges, but the rule per the TSA clearly states that CO2 cartridges by themselves are prohibited, but CO2 cartridges for life vests are allowed (emphasis added). So you have to tell/convince them that your motorcycle airbag vest or jacket is a life vest.

You might get that to fly* with some TSA smurfs, but I'm guessing it won't work with others. That's not an argument I want to have with government drones while holding up the line.

* See what I did there? :)
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  7. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that we have been monitoring this thread closely. Lots of great content and questions. It also shows that Airbag Protection has become a vital part of the riding community which is great to see. As some of you have already heard, HELITE will be introducing several new products in 2020 which we are extremely excited about.

HELITE will be offering an Electronically Triggered Airbag System besides the already existing Mechanically Triggered Airbag System!

The first available electronic option will the HELITE GP Air Vest. Then the Electronic System will also become available for the HELITE Turtle 2 Vest. We do not expect these to be available until Spring 2020 and pricing has not been released yet either!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Electronic Systems will feature 2 sensors. One that is decting impact even at stanstill and one motion sensor in the Vest itself. The Vest is instantly re-usable by simply replacing the CO2 cartridge similar to the already exisitng Mechanical Airbag System. No need to send the vest in to have it re-set or re-packed UNLESS, of course, it is damaged and you would like us to check the functionality.

If you have any questions whatsoever feel free to send me an email to patrick@helitemoto.com! As soon as we have pricing information available and a better ETA we will also be accepting pre-orders.

Ride Safe!
  9. CvFactor

CvFactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, I just baught a Turtle 2.
  10. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    The Turtle 2 Vest is an incredible product and will remain a very popular option for customers. It simply depends on what you prefer but I have received feedback from countless customers that prefer a tether connection rather than the electronically triggered one. HELITE wants to offer options for every rider out there. In the end all that matters is that you are protected as best as possible.
    AZQKR likes this.
  11. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll stay with the mechanical turtle 2 I have now. Nice to know Helite is advancing their designs and offering this
  12. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also keep a spare cartridge under the seat at all times for my turtle 2 vest.
  13. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's specifically states on Helite's site to not roll the vest up. They recommend keeping it flat or on a hanger. It can be stored for a short time rolled/folded.

I remove my back protectors on the jackets when wearing the vest, as suggested by the Helite rep when I ordered mine.
  14. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I expect you need to remove the back protector, so that it doesn't hinder the airbag from inflating.
    AZQKR likes this.
  15. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    HELITE Airbag Products are always meant to be worn over your existing riding gear. If you already have a Jacket and want to wear the HELITE Turtle 2 Vest over it there is no need to have 2 back protectors. You can either remove the back protector from your jacket or from the HELITE vest. Up to you...
    Peanut_Buttery and AZQKR like this.
  16. Perkio

Perkio Just "Perk" Please.

Oddometer:
    Helitemoto, any chance of getting a more robust mesh air bag jacket that matches the adventure style jacket (I have both)?

I really miss several things on my Helite summer mesh jacket that I have on my Helite adventure jacket.

1. A taller collar for sun protection.
    2. A longer jacket with more generous pockets.
    3. Option of tan or other colors.

Perk
  17. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    I forwarded your feedback to HELITE in France in hopes that they will take that input and work into their upcoming product releases!
  18. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    Just letting you know that we offer a great deal on all HELITE Airbag options until the 31st of December!
    Simply visit www.HeliteMoto.com and enter discount code GIFT at checkout to make use of this special.
    Happy holidays to all of you and ride safe!
    Suncoaster likes this.
  19. dyg

dyg dyg it Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kind of resent this forum being a place where manufacturers/distributors/reseller members can essentially advertise for free. The purpose of these forums is to share information amongst rider members and should not be a place to promote products except as regards member’s opinions.....just saying.....
  20. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    to bad I just picked up new NOS hit air vest from shopgoodwill for another 101 bucks .